mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My dealer recommend that I just put the vehicle in park, get out and lock the doors. That seems to have some advantages as the climate control stays working and the handles pop out as I approach. But, the comfort access seat/steering wheel movement does not happen. Pressing the power button to turn off seems to put it into a deeper sleep.
Sponsored

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
It will go into equally deep sleep with both methods, as far as I know. It will just take a while to go fully asleep if you just lock the doors. With the power button it will go fully asleep immediately.

I have never shut the car down with the power button, thus far. Just lock the doors. I think the button is most useful if the car is glitching somehow, for rebooting. But I haven't had such glitches yet (4000 km driven).

TC Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I've always hit park and then turned off the power. But my dealer never walked me through the car.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Always use the power button. Similar to my Panamera. In that, just turned the start switch off and the park brake was applied automatically. Got out and locked up. Taycan you just press the on button instead of turning it.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also use the power button. I think of it as with other push button to start engine in regular petrol cars. So pretty used to pushing the button to "turn off engine".

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Just remember to always Power off before plugging in to DC Fast charge (or any charge). SOME of the DC Fast chargers will fail to begin charging if the car is still on. And worse, there’s no helpful error message given on the station or in the car. It just fails.

Most don’t care, and as long as it is in Park it will charge. But getting in the habit is good. Saves time when you find that one annoying station.

After DC Fast charging starts, you can Power on the car again. None seem to have an issue with that.

OP
OP

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Interesting. I have only charged the car 4 times at a high capacity DC Electrify America station, and all 4 times left the car ”on”, sat in it listening to the radio and AC blowing. Lucky me. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll remember that when I run into issues.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
TRIVIA TIDBIT: ElectrifyAmerica sources their charging stations from 4 separate companies.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine refuses to lock unless I manually turn it off on the button (which UX wise makes NO sense) so I’ve by mistake left it on, unlocked, a couple of times. It does turn ON automatically when I unlock it and enter to add to the inconsistency.

I think leaving the car “on” when I lock it is a leftover from ICE cars but it is not the way it should be for electric. Locked = off should be like 99% of the cases.

osch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I always press the park button and then the power button and then lock.

From the manual:

"If the vehicle is switched off using the power button on an incline or gradient, the electric parking brake may not be activated. The vehicle can roll away. -> Always press the P button to activate the parking brake on inclines and gradients before switching off the vehicle"

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The car features that are supposed to work automatically ... handles pop out on approach, locking the car by pressing the spot on the handle, auto shutdown ... do not work reliably in my experience. I had a slightly embarrassing situation just last weekend In a parking lot where I approached the car, waited a second for it to pop the handles. Started body checking the car with my hip that had the key in my pocket. Nothing. Had to take it out to unlock. Anyhow ... I shutdown the car with the power button and lock/un-lock it with key button presses, because it otherwise doesn’t work as it’s supposed to.

OP
OP

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The car features that are supposed to work automatically ... handles pop out on approach, locking the car by pressing the spot on the handle, auto shutdown ... do not work reliably in my experience. I had a slightly embarrassing situation just last weekend In a parking lot where I approached the car, waited a second for it to pop the handles. Started body checking the car with my hip that had the key in my pocket. Nothing. Had to take it out to unlock. Anyhow ... I shutdown the car with the power button and lock/un-lock it with key button presses, because it otherwise doesn’t work as it’s supposed to.
I have the same problem. When I press the power button and leave, when I return the handles almost never extend out. Even when I touch them, it sometimes takes 5-6 seconds to extend out. I have had to pull out my remote a few times to unlock.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
I have the same problem. When I press the power button and leave, when I return the handles almost never extend out. Even when I touch them, it sometimes takes 5-6 seconds to extend out. I have had to pull out my remote a few times to unlock.
Ditto
Sponsored