Does a fully charged Taycan weigh the same as one that's nearly depleted?

9 ICE CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Schwinn Stingray w/Banana Seat, Rally 200
Country flag
And to add my professional opinion:

The extra mass that is accumulated is stored in the Vibranium Capacitor that allows for the Launch Control to be so efficient.

P.S. I'm joking about the Capacitor
P.S.S. I'm an E.E.
Sponsored

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I noticed my Taycan was heavier after a full charge, however maybe that was due to the lunch I had eaten?
I have noticed the same thing! In fact, my Taycan is anywhere from 6-7 pounds heavier than it was in March 2021 when I picked it up!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
  1. Electrons have mass
  2. No electrons are added or removed when charging or discharging the battery. You don’t fill the battery with electrons and then consume those electrons when driving. You transfer energy to the car when charging and then convert energy when driving. It’s really all about methods of transferring, storing, and converting energy. Energy is the key actor here, not electrons.
    Energy electrons.
  3. The mass of the battery is increased as it’s potential energy is increased. The increase is applied to the battery as a system as it’s the system that has the increased potential energy. Not individual electrons.
  4. The increase in mass is basically negligible relative to the mass of the battery for any practical discussions.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
  1. Electrons have mass
  2. No electrons are added or removed when charging or discharging the battery. You don’t fill the battery with electrons and then consume those electrons when driving. You transfer energy to the car when charging and then convert energy when driving. It’s really all about methods of transferring, storing, and converting energy. Energy is the key actor here, not electrons.
    Energy electrons.
  3. The mass of the battery is increased as it’s potential energy is increased. The increase is applied to the battery as a system as it’s the system that has the increased potential energy. Not individual electrons.
  4. The increase in mass is basically negligible relative to the mass of the battery for any practical discussions.
Yep. Your weight is affected several orders of magnitude more by splatting a flea on your windshield while driving to the charging station.
Sponsored