Does anyone actually charge to only 80%?

adamandsheri

First Name
AdamAndSheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So the dealer tells me that it is "better" for the battery to charge to only 80%. Based on the research I have seen for most EVs, batteries don't really lose much capacity for any reason over time. What is everyone's thought on the matter?
Sponsored

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Yes I charge to only 80% unless I know I’ll need the extra range (which is very rare for me). I typically will drive less than 50 miles per day. So I charge to 80% and when it gets close to 50% I then top up back to 80% and it never takes more than 3 hours to do that on a 50 amp circuit sending 40amps to the PMCC.

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
I charge my Taycan 4S every 4-5 days to 90% for daily use. I did the same with my previous Tesla Model S and had just a little battery degradation over 4 years and roughly 45k miles.
I only charge to 100% for longer trips.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
85%, always. I couldn't imagine charging less, 80%, as it would net me such low range in the winter months. Now that weather is cold here again, I saw all of 148 actual miles of range (85% charge) - driving on highway and at 37 degree temps. At 80% chrage that would be all of 140 miles of range....no bueno

vmporsche

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm also an 80% charger (every night)-- range has never been an issue. I rarely go below 60% driving in the city. Even when I go on weekend trips, and charge to 100%, I never have to charge like I used to with my Model 3 Performance-- I was always at the charger with that car.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
85%. Used to do 80, but switched back to 85, gives more options for charging intervals.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
100% every time, except if DC, then 80% as no point hanging around. The battery has a hefty buffer built into it already

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
So the dealer tells me that it is "better" for the battery to charge to only 80%. Based on the research I have seen for most EVs, batteries don't really lose much capacity for any reason over time. What is everyone's thought on the matter?
the user manual says to charge to 80% for normal use so that is what I do. you want to avoid extreme SOC. letting the car sit for extended periods of time below 20% or over 80% is not good for the battery's well being.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Yes I charge to only 80% unless I know I’ll need the extra range (which is very rare for me). I typically will drive less than 50 miles per day. So I charge to 80% and when it gets close to 50% I then top up back to 80% and it never takes more than 3 hours to do that on a 50 amp circuit sending 40amps to the PMCC.
I should add that if I were leasing the car, in all honesty, I would likely care a lot less about this (as bad as that sounds). But this is the first car I have owned in quite some time compared to leasing so I’m trying to maximize long term ownership and value as best as I can, particularly since I don’t ordinarily have the need for the excess range.

ampitup

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I charge to 80-85% unless I'm going on a long trip. They I do 100%.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
Depends on your driving habits, I suppose. If 80% isn't enough to cover your daily use then obviously one needs a higher level of charge. Otherwise, the only reasons to charge to a higher level are if you're worried about last minute unexpected trips/emergencies or you don't plan to keep the car for long and don't care if you stress the battery pack.

I don't worry about the former as I have multiple vehicles and the latter doesn't apply to me. I always charge to 80% unless I know for sure I will be needing the extra range.
Sponsored

Last edited: