Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here are some additional pics on what a really good wrap should look like. No seams at all visible on the outside.
Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? IMG_0017
Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? IMG_0018

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
As others have mentioned I believe the warp should be cleaner. Up to the edges as you can see in my images. I know these guys used templates pre cut. This is a PPF Permaplate from the company that my Porsche dealer uses. (Dealer threw full wrap in with purchase). Normally I would use the XPel product as I have on other cars.
Found one seam not particularly happy with inside of each side view mirror top side of the door image attached. Seems to be collecting a little dirt.

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? C91A6BCA-4488-47D2-8FCA-C47C2A7B74EB

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? BCCA0991-ACAE-4215-A41E-AD65FB242073

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? 61B63CF2-EB3E-4225-8688-490C376E0037

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? FC931B83-4523-48B9-A897-D4C22A6C793A

Porsche Taycan Does anyone else with full PPF have a seam like this? A40B4D20-D5E2-44B9-8C68-C451D7F6C0E1

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As others have mentioned I believe the warp should be cleaner. Up to the edges as you can see in my images. I know these guys used templates pre cut. This is a PPF Permaplate from the company that my Porsche dealer uses. (Dealer threw full wrap in with purchase). Normally I would use the XPel product as I have on other cars.
Found one seam not particularly happy with inside of each side view mirror top side of the door image attached. Seems to be collecting a little dirt.

C91A6BCA-4488-47D2-8FCA-C47C2A7B74EB.jpeg

BCCA0991-ACAE-4215-A41E-AD65FB242073.jpeg

61B63CF2-EB3E-4225-8688-490C376E0037.jpeg

FC931B83-4523-48B9-A897-D4C22A6C793A.jpeg

A40B4D20-D5E2-44B9-8C68-C451D7F6C0E1.jpeg
This is absolutely terrible - almost worse than no wrap at all. With a top-notch job, There should be NO SEAMS visible whatsoever on the outside of the car. Everything should be wrapped under. It is quite expensive however, expect to pay $5K-$6K or more for a quality job. I would highly recommend getting a full Xpel wrap from a very highly regarded shop, along with outer ceramic coats that are guaranteed for the life of the car (with a refresh every year for $120). My shop also says there is always something that isn't quite right, or comes loose, and they'll fix right away. That's the kind of place you want to find.

So far, after 2,200 miles in the rain and snow the car looks incredible and is amazingly easy to clean. Just a wipe with the detail spray and cloth does the trick.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
The key is a good installer. Ive used several in my area over the years and really its down to 2 shops now. The precut templates from XPEL have a setting that makes the cuts larger than the panel to allow the installer to wrap the seems around the edges. Lazy installers will use the standard one which has lots of seems. Lights are tough unless you want to pull the lights out. One installer actually pulls off all the emblems/badges/shields as well and the replaces them on top of the film. When they did my 488 they did this and I had to sign a disclosure that the shield may crack when they pull it off (as its ceramic) which is a $1500 part. Luckily it did not happen to me.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would imagine some installers will mistakenly use the templates for the wrong style of Taycan bumper, for example if a 4S is optioned with the Turbo/Turbo S bumpers.

robdds

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model S, soon Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am scheduled to have mine wrapped by Premier as they are the best around here. They will do a custom wrap instead of the Xpel kits. Currently scheduled for Feb and will post photos once I get her back!

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am scheduled to have mine wrapped by Premier as they are the best around here. They will do a custom wrap instead of the Xpel kits. Currently scheduled for Feb and will post photos once I get her back!
Whatever they're telling you about a 'custom wrap', I'm not sure why anyone would want to deviate from the computer generated 'custom wrap' that Xpel has for the Taycan. If the wrap is done correctly, it is absolutely perfect. I don't know what they think you are getting extra for a 'custom wrap'.?

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I agree the XPEL computer printed cutouts allow for overlap to wrap the seams. Plus no cutting near the paint. The only bummer is the a pillar on the Taycan goes all the way to the rear quarter panel so I may have to skip the a pillar, wrap the entire roof line and rear quarter panel or accept a seam somewhere.

robdds

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree the XPEL computer printed cutouts allow for overlap to wrap the seams. Plus no cutting near the paint. The only bummer is the a pillar on the Taycan goes all the way to the rear quarter panel so I may have to skip the a pillar, wrap the entire roof line and rear quarter panel or accept a seam somewhere.
I have actually used 4 other reputable companies doing the Xpel kits and all of them were noticeable to me especially around the corner areas. It is the obsessive compulsive in me.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I have actually used 4 other reputable companies doing the Xpel kits and all of them were noticeable to me especially around the corner areas. It is the obsessive compulsive in me.
And there is one of the main reasons I prefer only glass coating (ceramic in marketing speak).
Disassembling my Porsche built car is the other.

robdds

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And there is one of the main reasons I prefer only glass coating (ceramic in marketing speak).
Disassembling my Porsche built car is the other.
No disassembly needed, at least not from the vendor I will use for my 4S

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
I am new to these coatings, what is the purpose other than to protect? It feels a little like putting seat covers on a car seat until you sell, never to enjoy the actual seat covering for yourself? No offense intended, truly interested to understand why. :D..

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I am new to these coatings, what is the purpose other than to protect? It feels a little like putting seat covers on a car seat until you sell, never to enjoy the actual seat covering for yourself? No offense intended, truly interested to understand why. :D..
@MARTY7
I have PPF and ceramic coating.
Where I live, one trip on the freeway and you have rock chips in the paint. Particularly on the nose, side view mirror, anything protruding etc... ceramic helps against this also, more importantly for me it helps make the car more hydrophobic so cleaning/washing the car with what is left after driving in the snow is much easier.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you saw noticeable seams, then the wrap wasn't applied perfectly. If you're talking about the sharp corners on the hood and a few other areas, because the Xpel wrap is very stiff, there is no way they can 'stretch' the wrap over a sharp corner. They have to make a cut in the wrap at the corner in order to fold the wrap under as the two edges meet. If your shop is using another type of wrap that can be stretched (such as was done on my car shown in the profile), you can easily cover the corners but it's much thinner and not going to be the quality of Xpel. Ask them what kind of warranty they will give you. Choose your poison here...

I'm as OCD as anyone, and I can tell you there are no visible seams whatsoever on the outside of my car. (Yes, there are some very slight cuts at the sharp corners that you can see if you look very closely). They even made a custom tool (and special wrap piece) to wrap the carbon diffuser on the rear all the way under the car. If 'custom wrap' means they will cut a few pieces to do some extra things that the Xpel wrap doesn't cover, that's fine - that is what my guy did. The Xpel guys aren't idiots, therefore there is no reason to think the computer generated pattern they developed is flawed. It should be designed to fit the Taycan perfectly, with wrapping on all the edges. I'll say again, from firsthand experience, if the computer cut Xpel wrap is properly applied, it is perfect.:like:
Sponsored

Last edited: