Does car get shipped back to dealership for final inspection if one selects PECLA delivery?

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
I am talking to several dealers across US trying to get someone with available allocation + some discount since Bay Area has neither at the moment. If car is shipped from out-of-state dealer to home, ballpark I am getting delivery fees of $1500-$2500 (covered trailer). So I am also looking at whether choosing delivery at Porsche Experience Center LA (PECLA) makes sense instead (for 1/3-1/5 the cost plus the fun). One dealer mentioned that the car will need to be shipped back to their dealership for final inspection once I "take delivery" at PECLA and hence, I don't save on shipping costs. I smell BS here. Can anyone here who took delivery of their Taycan at PECLA confirm what is the delivery experience and whether what the dealer said is BS or not. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: Pretty much confirmed its BS since every other dealer went "err....what?!". Amazing that such BS gets peddled in the 1st place.?‍♂

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
my own dealer didn’t seem keen on me selecting the PEC delivery… my sales advisor complained that it took longer and advised me not to select it. He actually offered to pay for me to go to the Taycan “school” instead. I wonder if the dealers get dinged in some way…

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I don’t know how it is today, but back in 2016 when I opted to take PECATL delivery of my 718 Base (at the time, a $0 option!)I had the option of going to the dealer to sign the papers or have the finance guy come yo my home (I chose the latter…turns out he lived like a mile down the road from me & was happy to leave early that day).

Long story short, when I got to PECATL, after being treated like a visiting head of state for the day, the staff there set up my Porsche Connect account, i electronically signed that I I took delivery & I was on my way back to PA in the car.

So unless things have significantly changed, I’d call BS on that. Now with the Taycan, mebbe the PEC isn’t set up for SW upgrades, but assuming your car isn’t subject to a stop-sale upgrade, you should be able to drive it home yourself & set up an appointment for any necessary updates..

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I am talking to several dealers across US trying to get someone with available allocation + some discount since Bay Area has neither at the moment. If car is shipped from out-of-state dealer to home, ballpark I am getting delivery fees of $1500-$2500 (covered trailer). So I am also looking at whether choosing delivery at Porsche Experience Center LA (PECLA) makes sense instead (for 1/3-1/5 the cost plus the fun). One dealer mentioned that the car will need to be shipped back to their dealership for final inspection once I "take delivery" at PECLA and hence, I don't save on shipping costs. I smell BS here. Can anyone here who took delivery of their Taycan at PECLA confirm what is the delivery experience and whether what the dealer said is BS or not. Thanks!
Complete and total dealer BS. Standard procedure is to drive off in the new Taycan (after burning up the treads on Porsches at the PEC). If you want, there is an option to have it shipped from PEC to your home base, but that is pretty much your problem. Order your Taycan out of state (especially if your local dealers are price-fixing a-holes and do nothing but whine about their precious allocations), get a fantastic deal, have a blast at PEC, and have a blast on your first official road trip home. Of course Porsche dealers hate this because it makes it so easy to leave their jurisdiction. In my locale, you would think that the dealers call each other once a week to decide whether they will discount off MSRP, and if so, how much. But dealers in CA, for example, have a really tough time keeping tabs on dealers in places like Kanses, Mississippi, etc.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn't do the Delivery Experience at PECLA, but I recently drove down to LA in my Taycan for a 4S experience. Adjacent to the waiting area they have a huge service facility, larger than in any dealership I've seen, with multiple bays to repair various Porsches. It would frankly surprise me if they didn't or couldn't offer you your final inspection on the premises as I presume that is the entire point of the Delivery Experience.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
My dealer never saw my car until I brought it back for the AMB5 update. The car was shipped straight to PECLA from the port, and I drove it home after a fun day that had a delivery better than any dealership I’ve ever been to.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I didn't do the Delivery Experience at PECLA, but I recently drove down to LA in my Taycan for a 4S experience. Adjacent to the waiting area they have a huge service facility, larger than in any dealership I've seen, with multiple bays to repair various Porsches. It would frankly surprise me if they didn't or couldn't offer you your final inspection on the premises as I presume that is the entire point of the Delivery Experience.
The bay is huge and a site to behold.

From talking to the people at PEC, they very hands off and defer everything to the dealers.

Porsche Taycan Does car get shipped back to dealership for final inspection if one selects PECLA delivery? 20210720_112621

Last edited:

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yours was the 1st thread I read before I created this one (to avoid spamming the forum with repeat questions). Super cool that you drove all the way from Marin to PECLA!

OP
OP

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The bay is huge and a site to behold.

From talking to the people at PEC, they very hands off and defer everything to the dealers.
It's funny but same thing happened when we went for that Porsche test drive event at Monterey Car week. I asked the main instructor guy (he runs the Porsche Driving School in Alabama) about the chip shortage situation impacting deliveries and he told me to check if there was anybody from sales who could answer. Turned out they didn't have a single sales guy in attendance at the venue. I found that both really funny and classy at the same time.
Sponsored