Does driving a Taycan make one an official EV and/or Porsche brand ambassador?

JS4S

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan 4S, 21 Cayenne S, 06 Z06, 89 Formula 350
Country flag
You just hit the nail on the head, the best response to an inquisitive, EV-disparaging Wal*Martian is to tell him that you don't know jack crap about EVs and the only reason you bought the Taycan was because Joe Burrow drives one. End of discussion.
Ha! Yes, its good enough for Joey B.....its good enough for me.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
One day over 60 years ago in small town in Michigan’s upper peninsula a strange little car was parked outside a coffee shop. as a small group of 13 year old boys admired the car, the owner came up and spent a half hour showing us his Speedster And answering our questions. Over the past 50 years I have owned 6 Porsches, partially because of the Speedster owner. Since then, I have always tried to emulate that experience.
if you own a rare car, you are an ambassador.

I love everything about this post, but times have changed, unfortunately.

There is a time and a place for everything, but being a brand ambassador for my Porsche Taycan in a Walmart parking lot is not for me. If there is a kid with a parent who wants to take a look at the car, I am cool to let the kid poke his head in the car, but I am not down to speak with someone with an agenda against EV's. That is 90% of the Walmart crowd, so while on a road trip I usually plug in, and then go use the restroom. If I am lucky, the car is close to being charged to continue my journey and I get the hell out of there.

I also find that wearing a mask outside while standing by the car when it is charging helps keep people away. I may or not have done this in Gallup, NM this past weekend when I pulled up to the EA charger and there was a new Mercedes owner with temp tags on the car just eyeing me as I pulled into to the charging station. I got out of the car with a mask on and the guy did a 180 and kept his distance!

In 2016 and 2017 I wasted hours of my life talking to other Tesla owners while charging at superchargers. The novelty has definately worn off.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

Neil63

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4, 2017 Volvo Polestar, March Apache 86S, Taycan
Country flag
Admittedly I have only charged at a Walmart once, but my public experience has overwhelmingly been honest, straightforward questions from people. They are curious about the car and what is good and bad about driving an EV. I can honestly say most things are great - charging at home is easy, plug it in before going to bed and wake up to a full charge. I do point out that the public charging infrastructure is the weakness but impacts less than 5% of my driving. Long trips take more planning and more time.

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've been heckled as well at a charger. I'm curious what their goal is, do they really think after talking with you that you'll immediately dump your car for ICE?

The EV haters tend to be small-minded, small-town people fed a narrative by their diet of slanted media. They are afraid watching their world change in many ways and feel powerless to stop it, so they lash out.

I do wish our chargers were not at Wal-Marts. I hate the sketchy clientele in the parking lots.
In UK we have the pleasure of InstaVolt, one of the larger public charging networks, being partnered up with McDonalds.
Sponsored