Does Taycan Turbo S have 500 times limit of launch control use?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Can one survive 500 launches?
Sponsored

Deleted member 2250

Today, I went to dealer. I was talking to Salesman about upgrading my 4S to Turbo S. I asked why people tend more to buy turbo instead of turbo s. He said "after 500th use of launch control you can no longer use launch control with 751 ps. The car will be basicly a normal turbo" Is that true, guys? Or there might be a misunderstanding?
I certainly hope not!
I'm collecting my Turbo S on Wednesday.
I'll ask the question, as my dealer seems to know his stuff.

OP
OP

f_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I certainly hope not!
I'm collecting my Turbo S on Wednesday.
I'll ask the question, as my dealer seems to know his stuff.
Please ask him. Because I asked again the salesman and he said the same words. If it's true I don't see any point to purchase a turbos over turbo.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Dealers on their own are not an official source of information, espcailly when they can't point to any sources about what they are saying. But they will tell you almost anything to help you along your way to make a purchase.

Nowhere in any documentation does Porsche state that there is any kind of limit on the amount of times you can do LC.

If the car was not able to do a launch control after 500 launches then it would be a warranty issue. They would replace whatever part got worn out. If the car was out of warranty then you would pay to replace whatever part needed replacing. Its not some magial box that just says no more for you after 500 uses.

If there was some rumour going around, it would probably have come from the fact that Porsche has decdied that 99% of people wouldn't do more than 500 launches, and the components have probably been tested to that limit.

So the Turbo S has this component that stops working after 500 uses but the same component in a Turbo can do 500,000 launches?

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
It also makes no engineering sense. The extra horsepower is a burst put into a bigger motor, there is no “damage” or loss. There are thermal considerations so the duration is short. It sounds like misinformation one way or another.

OP
OP

f_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
UPDATE.

Today, I asked another dealer about the matter. They asked to their Porsche "technical supervisor". And he confirmed this claim.

Basicly he is saying:
After 500th launch, the turbos will downgrade its figures and have the turbo figures which is 625PS@normal condition and 680PS@overboost power with l.c.

I don't want to blame Porsche or noone, and I find Porsche as transparent as possible but this information, if it is true, I think, is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot find any other official sources to I apply and I couldn't find any info about the matter on web. But maybe you, other/future owners, can apply to their local stores and ask if it is true.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
F00kin 'ell! Turbos will be downgraded! Shit... should have gone for a 4S instead of the Turbo then.
(Well I only have 1, unlike the Turbo S...).

Tell your dealer he's full of shit.

(Bokla dolu?)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I find Porsche as transparent as possible but this information, if it is true, I think, is absolutely ridiculous.
This is nonsense.

If it were true, it would be as part of the specs of the car.

They would not risk a class action lawsuit of people saying "I did 500 launches and now the car is not performing as well". Porsche's potential reply of "well, we knew that, but didn't have that as part of the spec" would have them lose the case on the spot.

An unnamed "dealer" getting info from an unnamed "technical supervisor" is just as good info as that guy who knows someone else who heard that the limit is actually 420 launches. LOL.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
some guy told me that another guy work works for Porsche but used to work for Tesla's has an uncle who worked with a friend who's brother did the design work for the Taycan's drive train and it's really a Tesla Plaid drive train which explains the 500 launch limit - so it's totally got to be true.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
some guy told me that another guy work works for Porsche but used to work for Tesla's has an uncle who worked with a friend who's brother did the design work for the Taycan's drive train and it's really a Tesla Plaid drive train which explains the 500 launch limit - so it's totally got to be true.
@daveo4EV, you seem to not be taking this thread with the degree of panic and outrage that was intended.;)

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't like bringing up Tesla as I'd like to shut that book for good, but Tesla definitely had a limit on the number of launches you could do. That limit was removed after it became public and there was enough of an uproar.
I'm not saying Porsche definitely is doing the same, but to assume it would be in the specs or that the mfr wouldn't risk a lawsuit is demonstrably false, at least in the general case.

Chris 911

First Name
Christoffer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Panamera Turbo-S ST, 971 Spyder, 964 C2, BMW i3S
Country flag
When attending the “Soul on track” in Portugal November 2019, the technicians informed us about the 500 launch control limit, but said that it was set as a limit to inspect the car at that time. They could not say if it would be a definite limitation, but I doubt if you reach that limit, your car would loose it’s boost horsepower.

I have a Turbo S, and rarely use the launch control, so I doubt very much that I will ever reach that limit, and probably not the next owner either.

i would expect that if the car reaches 500 launches, a service warning will pop up, the car goes in for inspection, and the count is reset ?

OP
OP

f_k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
When attending the “Soul on track” in Portugal November 2019, the technicians informed us about the 500 launch control limit, but said that it was set as a limit to inspect the car at that time. They could not say if it would be a definite limitation, but I doubt if you reach that limit, your car would loose it’s boost horsepower.

I have a Turbo S, and rarely use the launch control, so I doubt very much that I will ever reach that limit, and probably not the next owner either.

i would expect that if the car reaches 500 launches, a service warning will pop up, the car goes in for inspection, and the count is reset ?
Thanks for your reply Chris.

Yesterday, I was in the Porsche Service Center, asked technicians this claim, and that was almost what you said above. He said "we've informed by the technicians in Lisbon last year but there is no information on the paper. That is why we can't ask this claim to Porsche, I know it doesn't make sense but bla bla bla"

I think that is the case Chris, after 500 l.c. you'll have to inspect the car.
Sponsored