Does the new Apple Lossless Audio for Apple Music change your mind of getting Burmester?

Mr-Propper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera
Country flag
I use the Apple Music app on iPhone. To use lossless audio you have to reload all songs. Do you know a possibility to easy reload all titles in your database without deleting every single title?
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Eddy Cue, the SVP of Apple Music, etc. chimed in on this subject:

“One interesting tidbit in the interview is Cue talking about bringing Spatial Audio to CarPlay. He explains that it’s not as easy as simply adding Spatial Audio to CarPlay, because the car itself also needs to support the necessary hardware. Cue says that he has listened to Spatial Audio in cars using modified hardware, and it sounds “incredible.”
“On cars, it’s not just the simple thing of putting it into CarPlay. The car has got to have the right systems because CarPlay plays back to the stereo in the car around it. But there’s no doubt. I’ve listened to cars already with Spatial Audio — not from a factory, but modified — and it’s incredible.”
https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/08/eddy...addresses-lossless-audio-debate-in-interview/

CT4Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Now that Apple has rolled this out -- will be trying this out with Burmester and CarPlay later tonight. Wonder if we'll ever get any definitive statements from Porsche and/or Apple on the built-in player. Porsche will prob not want to cover the increased data usage! This could be the end of me using it if so.
Let us know! Side note..how are you liking the burmester? I spec'd it over the bose waiting for delivery.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Eddy Cue, the SVP of Apple Music, etc. chimed in on this subject:

“One interesting tidbit in the interview is Cue talking about bringing Spatial Audio to CarPlay. He explains that it’s not as easy as simply adding Spatial Audio to CarPlay, because the car itself also needs to support the necessary hardware. Cue says that he has listened to Spatial Audio in cars using modified hardware, and it sounds “incredible.”

https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/08/eddy...addresses-lossless-audio-debate-in-interview/
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/17/22336339/lucid-air-electric-car-dolby-atmos-sxsw

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Let us know! Side note..how are you liking the burmester? I spec'd it over the bose waiting for delivery.
Will do. I'm after my first COVID-19 vaccine shot and feel a little woozy tonight – so decided that it wouldn't be the best time to test it.

I love the stereo. Ironically, I'm very happy with the sound even with the regular Apple Music source material – something I couldn't say about the Bose stereo that was in my 2020 Panamera Turbo S. The Bose really didn't deal well with streaming music files – and sounded so much better with ripped CDs. The Burmeister on the other hand sounds to me much better with 256-bit AAC though I'm hoping for better with lossless.

It is very difficult to get the facts about what the Burmester DAC is capable of. If it sounds okay, maybe it just doesn't matter :)

Sound is so subjective to us as individuals – you'll never get a consensus – I found leaving all the default settings on the Burmester delivers the best sound for me. Don't use the 3D options, or mess with the treble/bass levels.

Sometimes with a live album I do try the "live" DSP mode and I think that can sometimes sound good – it puts the vocals up towards the middle speakers in the dash and feels like you are at a concert.

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Speaking of that, anyone have suggestions for the Bose settings? By default, iirc, some of the surround/3D options were on.

OP
OP
ithinkmac

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
You might have to go into your individual playlist.
Once in, you should see a check mark in the upper right corner. tap on it and you have the option of removing all songs in that playlist. Then download again afterwards, that should get your the new dolby atmos or AALAC version if it's available.

Of course, you'll have to enable lossless first in your Music preference settings.

-ThinkMac-

I use the Apple Music app on iPhone. To use lossless audio you have to reload all songs. Do you know a possibility to easy reload all titles in your database without deleting every single title?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Had a listen today, I could hear no discernible difference between listening to music via:

a] Built-in Apple music player
b] Apple music via wired CarPlay
c] Apple music with Lossless turned on via wired CarPlay

I'm not sure if this is because the DAC is limited to 320kb/s or not -- as suggested by the Good To Know app:

Porsche Taycan Does the new Apple Lossless Audio for Apple Music change your mind of getting Burmester? IMG_0404.PNG

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Had a listen today, I could hear no discernible difference between listening to music via:

Thank you for doing this! This really was "Good to Know"!

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag

Did you listen to an Apple Music song in Dolby Atmos vs. without? Could you discern a difference there? I know Apple Music added a few tracks that "show" the difference between those songs enhanced with Atmos and those without. I haven't had a chance to try yet.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you listen to an Apple Music song in Dolby Atmos vs. without? Could you discern a difference there? I know Apple Music added a few tracks that "show" the difference between those songs enhanced with Atmos and those without. I haven't had a chance to try yet.
I did and I could hear a clear difference. Right now, I have Dolby Atmos off – I don't like the effect in the songs I've listened to because:
  • It just feels like reverb to me
  • Levels are lower than I am used to (perhaps they are trying to reverse the loudness wars)
  • Maybe I am just not used to it yet
It could be heard, but it wasn't in any way proper surround sound.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, there was no indication on the CarPlay music UI if a track was playing "lossless" like there is on the phone UI.

Its hard to tell if this is just a UI thing or has some more meaning (i.e. CarPlay is downsampling the audio).

Porsche Taycan Does the new Apple Lossless Audio for Apple Music change your mind of getting Burmester? IMG_599410F20C10-1

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Can anyone confirm that the build in Apple Music app supports lossless?

Or how about through wire/wireless CarPlay?

I’m a Spotify customer right now but will switch to Apple Music if I can play lossless music in the car.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Can anyone confirm that the build in Apple Music app supports lossless?

Or how about through wire/wireless CarPlay?

I’m a Spotify customer right now but will switch to Apple Music if I can play lossless music in the car.
I’m an Apple Music subscriber and do like it. Not trying to sway your decision but Spotify has also announced a lossless service is coming later this year called, I think, Spotify Hi-Fi. They originally planned to charge extra but those plans may change now that Apple Music includes lossless at no extra charge. If you are knee deep in the Spotify world, it may make sense to wait and see what they announce.

I was thinking to Apple Music on my way home last night and thought the sound was amazing. Not sure it was actually lossless or psychosomatic knowing it should sound better.
Sponsored