Does the new Apple Lossless Audio for Apple Music change your mind of getting Burmester?

JohnWeems

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
There's still a long way to go for Spotify Lossless. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between normal and HIFI quality. I might try Apple Lossless since I was just gifted AudFree Auditior. (A kinda Apple music converter?) It says it can download Apple Music as local M4A files without purchase.
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
As an audiophile, I was curious to learn if the Burmester was truly worth the $5700 premium over the Bose, so I auditioned both at my dealer for an hour or so.

I didn’t drive around, I just sat in their lot going between two Taycans trying to discern the differences and my conclusions were that the $5700 up-charge for the Burmester was simply unsupportable.

Granted the Burmester was subtly better, a tighter low end with some greater detail in the highs. But $5700? I don’t think so—I wasn’t that much better.

I listened to a variety of tunes, all Apple Lossless, and when you take into consideration road noise (which is admittedly minimal) and ambient sounds, the Bose didn’t sound substantially worse than the Burmester and in fact sounded just fine.

If Porsche had priced the Burmester at a more reasonable up-charge of maybe $1200-$1500, I might have come to a different conclusion. But $5700 is simply too much for a sonic nuance you’re unlikely to hear even under the best of circumstances. In my opinion, that money is better spent on performance options, which after all, is what Porsche is about.

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
@Torv I fully agree with your observation. I ordered the Burmester on my Taycan and wouldn't order it again. To me it's not worth the up-charge. Next time I will spec the Bose soundsystem and put the saving into other options.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
As an audiophile, I was curious to learn if the Burmester was truly worth the $5700 premium over the Bose, so I auditioned both at my dealer for an hour or so.

I didn’t drive around, I just sat in their lot going between two Taycans trying to discern the differences and my conclusions were that the $5700 up-charge for the Burmester was simply unsupportable.

Granted the Burmester was subtly better, a tighter low end with some greater detail in the highs. But $5700? I don’t think so—I wasn’t that much better.

I listened to a variety of tunes, all Apple Lossless, and when you take into consideration road noise (which is admittedly minimal) and ambient sounds, the Bose didn’t sound substantially worse than the Burmester and in fact sounded just fine.

If Porsche had priced the Burmester at a more reasonable up-charge of maybe $1200-$1500, I might have come to a different conclusion. But $5700 is simply too much for a sonic nuance you’re unlikely to hear even under the best of circumstances. In my opinion, that money is better spent on performance options, which after all, is what Porsche is about.
I previously had a Panamera Turbo with Burmester and loved it. I ordered and just received my Taycan CT with Bose. I thought the incremental difference between the two was not worth the expense for the Burmester.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I previously had a Panamera Turbo with Burmester and loved it. I ordered and just received my Taycan CT with Bose. I thought the incremental difference between the two was not worth the expense for the Burmester.
Did you listen to the Burmester system in the Taycan? I think it’s way better than other Burmester systems in other Porsches and I am really glad I opted for that.

But yes, it has a hefty price tag so you should really appreciate a high end car sound system.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
Did you listen to the Burmester system in the Taycan? I think it’s way better than other Burmester systems in other Porsches and I am really glad I opted for that.

But yes, it has a hefty price tag so you should really appreciate a high end car sound system.
I did not as there were none available. I concluded (maybe wrongly) that there is only so much high fidelity that can be created in a car and went with the Bose.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I did not as there were none available. I concluded (maybe wrongly) that there is only so much high fidelity that can be created in a car and went with the Bose.
Bose is not bad. Many say that is it the best Bose car system they have heard. Either way, Bose or Burmester, you get a nice sound system. Just also remember the noise insulated glass ??

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
as a self-proclaimed audiophile (no one has given me this title), I can attest that car audio is a much different game than setting up your home 2ch with 100w Class D amps powering each speaker where you can choose if you want to match your Klipsch horns, pull out your Magnapan's for a different sound, or bring out your traditional Focal or Harbeth speakers to match the genera of music you are playing...you can tweak sub or not, MM vs MC pre-amp, power conditioner, ensuring that your outlets are on their own separate breaker, single or bi-amp, room sound absorbers and diffuser, spacing/height and angle of the speakers, freq. cut-off fuses, tube or solid-state amp, electric shielding of other electronics, etc. All of these changes you will be able to hear for the discerning listener in your home.

This is not the case in a car. you are sitting on the left channel and are limited with speakers, positioning, resonance, structure, dampening, refraction/reflection, multiple surfaces and materials in the cabin, external noise factors and when driving road/power-train noise. For these reasons, there will be much more of a limit to what a car audio system can achieve outside of pure dB and frequency band cut-offs. In my view, if you really want to hear this, you need to ditch the stock systems all together and do a custom install. Heck, even the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer has put in McIntosh as a system and there is only so much you can achieve in a vehicle (no need to get into McIntosh of new is not the same as vintage....I get it).

There is one company that is starting to think about car audio differently and I am starting to think it is the right way to think about it.....to use the structure to your advantage and create sound as vibrations that can surround you more effectively in a vehicle. This is our favorite monitor headphone mfg. Seinnheiser and surprisingly a tire mfg. Continental.

Together, this is Seinnheiser's AMBEO technology with Continental Ac2ated sound system. I believe they are planning on launching this in some Volvo's soon (perhaps they are out). However, this is the only game-changer I see in experiencing lossless audio in a vehicle. Until then, I will buy the middle of the road (Bose) and save my discerning ear for the headphones or the home turntable and Tidal subscription.

If you are interested, check this out: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-mobility

Olav

First Name
Olav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Burmester can play louder at excellent quality. Also, if you want to compare sound quality, play flac files from USB. Don't use your phone.
Sponsored