Does the Taycan make petrol engine supercars old-fashioned or even obsolete?

993_4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 993 911 4S, Lamborghini Huracan Performante. 1965 Mustang GT
Country flag
I would greatly appreciate more aggressive regen. The car is slippery and doesn’t bleed off speed. Also, with spirited driving I am on the brakes a lot more, where in my petrol cars I downshift and use engine braking as I enter the turns.
Sponsored

Adam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The regen/coasting was a design decision to help range since the car is so heavy. Coasting is more efficient than regen, with friction brakes bring way worse than either. They also wanted to keep the experience from bring too weird for existing customers. Having the brake pedal initiate regen is a smart, if overly complicated, solution & they've executed it well.

The good news for one-pedal driving fans is that there's nothing stopping them from adding an additional "one pedal" regen mode to the software in the future. I won't be surprised to see it appear in a year or two if enough customers ask for it. If you want it, mention it whenever they send you a survey.
Yeah I understand the logic behind the design decision, making the switch from a gas Porsche to the Taycan as easy as possible. As for the coasting problem, I quickly learned with my Tesla not to fully lift off the accelerator until I want to stop, and with proper application of pressure you quickly stop wasting energy with herky jerky regen/acceleration driving habits.

I wonder if it can indeed be updated through software similar to Tesla or if you need to wait for a new model year to see such an option, I will ask my sales guy about it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche is morally opposed to one-pedal driving - I think it could be a software setting - I however will not hold my breath for this - but will welcome it if it shows up.

Adam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Porsche is morally opposed to one-pedal driving - I think it could be a software setting - I however will not hold my breath for this - but will welcome it if it shows up.
It's very odd because the E-Tron (which as far as I can tell shares a lot with the Taycan), keeps the paddle shifters on the wheel, but uses them as an adjustable regen switch, with the max being essentially 1 pedal driving. Some members of VW auto group seem to embrace this change, shame Porsche hasn't yet.

I would greatly appreciate more aggressive regen. The car is slippery and doesn’t bleed off speed. Also, with spirited driving I am on the brakes a lot more, where in my petrol cars I downshift and use engine braking as I enter the turns.
Agreed, I dislike driving automatic gas cars now, they just feel floaty. Took the merc C63s out the other day and even in sport mode with the transmission in "manual" it feels floaty and not dialed in at all. With most EV's the regen feels like fairly firm brake application if you completely release the throttle.
Sponsored