Does this trick for maximizing battery charge range actually work? ?

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Sharing this post from the FB Taycan owners group, this 4S owner with the Performance + battery pack was showing off a max 100% charged battery range of 504 km = 311 mi
Porsche Taycan Does this trick for maximizing battery charge range actually work? ? received_2801457773450659

In the comments the owner insists he drives normally wasn't hypermiling to get that range, and the only truck he seems to do is charge is car up daily and the battery range estimate seems to go up ?

Porsche Taycan Does this trick for maximizing battery charge range actually work? ? received_490697412138891

Opinions on wether this works for anyone else with the same results or just sounds like BS? ?

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Sharing this post from the FB Taycan owners group, he was showing off a max 100% charged battery range of 504 km = 311 mi
received_2801457773450659.jpeg

In the comments the owner insists he drives normally wasn't hypermiling to get that range, and the only truck he seems to do is charge is car up daily and the battery range estimate seems to go up ?

received_490697412138891.jpeg

Opinions on wether this works for anyone else with the same results or just sounds like BS? ?
504 km is 313 miles at 100% SoC. This guy seems to live in Greece, so it reasonable to assume that the weather is rather warm and consumption is therefore optimal. Although 313 miles is high, it seems within the normal reach of a gently driven Taycan at ideal weather. I therefore doubt that the charging pattern has anything to do with it. Do you know whether this is a 4S or a RWD, or even a Turbo?

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
504 km is 313 miles at 100% SoC. This guy seems to live in Greece, so it reasonable to assume that the weather is rather warm and consumption is therefore optimal. Although 313 miles is high, it seems within the normal reach of a gently driven Taycan at ideal weather. I therefore doubt that the charging pattern has anything to do with it. Do you know whether this is a 4S or a RWD, or even a Turbo?

Sorry it's a 4S, I'll clarify that in my post.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sharing this post from the FB Taycan owners group, this 4S owner with the Performance + battery pack was showing off a max 100% charged battery range of 504 km = 311 mi

What do you mean by “truck”? Do you mean trick?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Charing daily won't necessarily cause total range to increase and charging to 100% and leaving the charge at 100% for extended time periods is not good as far as degradation goes.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh yeah I know about the recommended 85% safe limit for most daily regular charging use.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you take the range number the car shows you to the grocery store along with a dollar bill you can buy a can of soda! Ie.. it's worthless.

It's especially worthless at 100% charge sitting in a driveway as the car is literally just throwing a number out there. The initial number mine shows has been around 60 miles of range off every time I've started it up and driven a while.

The "trick" is just the computer showing a mostly random number.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is no indication as to the driving speeds he was at prior to this reading so there is no context.

Sorry, no magic sauce to increased range, just the same ole same ole.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Isn't this just the usual new car "bump". The poster mentions that he "installed" it 2 weeks ago - I assume he means he only got the car two weeks ago? If that is the case, the car is simply getting used to his driving, since when new, the range estimate is conservative. That and also the regen only kicks-in after 200-500 miles. i don't think you can attribute it to charging every day.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Charing daily won't necessarily cause total range to increase and charging to 100% and leaving the charge at 100% for extended time periods is not good as far as degradation goes.
Although I fully agree with you and also only charge to 100% if I need the charge that day, I do wonder about 1 thing:
I have a MY2020 Taycan Turbo, which has a 93.4 kWh total capacity, of which 83.7kWh is usable. (93.4 - 83.7 ) / 93.4 * 100% = 10.3%. So even if I charge to 100%, I still leave 10% "unused".

I haven't found any documentation yet about the purpose of this 10%.
Will it slowly made available when the 83.7kWh drops to stay close to 83.7 kWh?
Or is it the implied safety margin to make sure no-one charges to 100%?
Or someone living on a mountain can't overcharge the battery with recuperation ?
Or ... ?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually the 10% is used. It's just not for your use but to protect the battery.

The battery degrades over time and the extra piece can be used to top up the piece you can use. How or if Porsche does this is unclear.

More importantly it is there to prevent a very low state of discharge from occurring which can destroy the battery. When your SOC reads 0, there is still voltage left in the battery, but the software prevents you from accessing it. If the battery were ever to actually reach 0 voltage, it would probably be wrecked.

Porsche seems to be very conservative in its allocation of battery bandwidth. Tesla seems to operate with a reserve of around 4%.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Actually the 10% is used. It's just not for your use but to protect the battery.

More importantly it is there to prevent a very low state of discharge from occurring which can destroy the battery. When your SOC reads 0, there is still voltage left in the battery, but the software prevents you from accessing it. If the battery were ever to actually reach 0 voltage, it would probably be wrecked.
This is the sole reason for that 10%. Otherwise what's happening is a history of conservative driving coupled with increased battery temperature is leading to better range. My range is going up too as the weather warms, but I'm certainly not conservatively driving it ;)

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
I also get above 310mls for 100%. Not a problem.
What the car shows is based on last consumption, so if you use Range, you get those #s

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you take the range number the car shows you to the grocery store along with a dollar bill you can buy a can of soda! Ie.. it's worthless.

It's especially worthless at 100% charge sitting in a driveway as the car is literally just throwing a number out there. The initial number mine shows has been around 60 miles of range off every time I've started it up and driven a while.

The "trick" is just the computer showing a mostly random number.
the other day I started a trip @100% SOC with the meter showing about 224 miles. after driving about 15 miles the meter showed 232 miles.
take away what you want from that
Sponsored