louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
once the 12V dies there is no computer left running to wake the vehicle up to "charge" - the car really is a brick once it's dead.
No. A “brick” can never be recovered. Our cars never brick. They can be rebooted, by a process. An annoying, process, but once understood, can be completed in under 5 minutes.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@louv you are correct - I stand corrected.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@louv you are correct - I stand corrected.
I know that YOU know. I just like protecting the terminology. (As if I was still in the industry! Ha!) though I have been playing with json, bash, and python recently.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I know that YOU know. I just like protecting the terminology. (As if I was still in the industry! Ha!) though I have been playing with json, bash, and python recently.
Take a peek at VHDL if you want to have your mind warped...

I've been working my way through a book on FPGA design using VHDL since Christmas. (Its another Covid distraction...) I currently have a little Digilent BASYS3 sitting on my desk...

I've been writing software since 1976 but designing hardware via a coding language is some really obtuse shit! Still waiting for the "lightbulb to go on"...

FPGA's are some pretty cool technology, and I know they are used for many things (i.e. signal processing), but I'm still trying to understand how I might use them...

Last edited:
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Oh, lord no, I’d break my tiny weak brain.
I'm sure you'ld be fine. However I feel like my round brain is being squeezed through a square hole...

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
VHDL is still a thing? We used to push really hard on that but alas Verilog won out. But now we're off topic just a bit...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Question about opening the door whith the physical key when the car is dead. The window needs to go down a little bit for the door to open. How does that happen if there is no power?

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Question about opening the door whith the physical key when the car is dead. The window needs to go down a little bit for the door to open. How does that happen if there is no power?
Opening isn't a problem as the window has enough play in it to open. Closing it is a bit more nuanced b/c it's up too far. I had to push the window in at the top as I closed the door but I got the door closed.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Opening isn't a problem as the window has enough play in it to open. Closing it is a bit more nuanced b/c it's up too far. I had to push the window in at the top as I closed the door but I got the door closed.

Or, Just leave the door open until you reboot the car... in a few minutes.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
For those that have performed this 12V fix, is there a consensus on whether a Noco boost would be sufficient, or if it needs to be something else specific? I have seen contradictory information. Thanks.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For those that have performed this 12V fix, is there a consensus on whether a Noco boost would be sufficient, or if it needs to be something else specific? I have seen contradictory information. Thanks.
I've seen conflicting info too. For me, a few weeks ago, we jumped off the tow truck's battery. Porsche told us the potential for the Taycan to back-charge the Li-ion booster pack was too great (explosion risk b/c the Li-Ion battery isn't able to handle a charge at that speed) and to not do it. So we waited for another truck to show up b/c the one that came initially was too big to fit into my driveway.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've seen conflicting info too. For me, a few weeks ago, we jumped off the tow truck's battery. Porsche told us the potential for the Taycan to back-charge the Li-ion booster pack was too great (explosion risk b/c the Li-Ion battery isn't able to handle a charge at that speed) and to not do it. So we waited for another truck to show up b/c the one that came initially was too big to fit into my driveway.
The 12v battery in the Taycan can handle 80A of charge current. That’s what the senior Tech from my dealership brought to my house to help recover my car. Four times.

But a 10A charger works fine too. Or another 12v battery.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The 12v battery in the Taycan can handle 80A of charge current. That’s what the senior Tech from my dealership brought to my house to help recover my car. Four times.

But a 10A charger works fine too. Or another 12v battery.
The senior tech from my dealership is was not worried about the Taycan battery... he was worried about the li-ion booster blowing up b/c the Taycan might backfeed through the 12v batter to the booster and overrun what the booster battery was able to handle. I was happy to not take the chance.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The senior tech from my dealership is was not worried about the Taycan battery... he was worried about the li-ion booster blowing up b/c the Taycan might backfeed through the 12v batter to the booster and overrun what the booster battery was able to handle. I was happy to not take the chance.
Oh, my mistake. Right.
Sponsored