chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll quibble with this one slightly - the vast majority of 240 volt circuits "are" dedicated - they are typically installed to support a single and particular appliance - this is because the circuit is typically sized to exactly "match" the appliance it's being install for - there are few if any "shared" load use cases for 240 volt circuits, other than sub-panels.

but I see your point.
There are several dedicated 240v circuits in US garages for dryers that several people use. Some of them are wired with #10 or #8 wire and have 30 amp breakers. I have also seen a circuit with #8 wire with a 40amp breaker that someone added for a 30amp EV charger. So even when you use a dedicated 240 circuit you should make sure it can handle the amperage selected in the charger.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
for apartment complexes I think Tesla is on the right track with their Gen 3 Wall charger - these chargers can "network" up to 16 chargers via point-to-point wifi - and they can all be configured to "share" a single high amperage 240 volt circuit - you tell the chargers that maximum number of amp available, and the chargers all co-operate with each other to not exceed 80% of the breaker size - while providing as much power to each of the EV's charging as possible - the chargers are in an ideal position to know how much each vehicle is currently demanding and can adjust and ramp the charging load up or down based on real time charging demands of the current EV's engaged in a charging session…couple this with some integration with power management and knowledge if there is currently excess solar power or you're on battery power and you can dynamically adjust loads and EV charging to optimize for a variety of micro & macro power management goals.

it's really really clever and I look forward to future software exploiting these sorts of capabilities.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
two 100 amp dedicated shared circuits in a parking complex - with 8 chargers each on the 100 amp circuit - sharing 100 amps - would cover charging 16 EV's at once with dynamic charging load management making sure each EV is currently charging at fast as possible - but not overloading the "core" circuit - and as EV's finish charging excess capacity can be directed to the remaining EV's to accelerate the end of their charging sessions…

I love me some dynamic load EV charging setup - and I love my 4 charger 100 amp setup and really like being able to charge 2 or 3 EV's at once and have the chargers optimize the amps dynamically during the charging session.

the Gen3 chargers while they can share 100 amp circuits (or potentially larger) each charger itself is only capable of 48 amps maximum - this means you can setup a 100 amp subpanel, but the wire run to each EV charger need only be a wire gauge suitable for 48 amps - since no one charger will ever deliver more than 48 amps (12 kW) - this saves on high end wire costs to wire each charger (smaller conduit, and less stiff wire)

so you run one big pull of 2-0 wire for a 200 amp subpanel - and then install two 100 amp breakers - but off of each 100 amp breaker you only need to run 6 gauge 3 conductor wire to each charger - you then configure each "bank" of 8 chargers to tell them they can split 100 amps each - and the charger software will co-operate among each of the 8 chargers to manage the 80 amp "budget" of available power - never overloading the main 200 amp feed, but charging up to 16 EV's at once each receiving 10 amps (or 2.4 kW) when all 16 vehicles are charging, or 40 amps each if only 4 EV's are charging - or 48 amps each if only one or two EV's are charging...

this sort of setup would work really really well for an apartment complex.

Last edited:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
two 100 amp dedicated shared circuits in a parking complex - with 8 chargers each on the 100 amp circuit - sharing 100 amps - would cover charging 16 EV's at once with dynamic charging load management making sure each EV is currently charging at fast as possible - but not overloading the "core" circuit - and as EV's finish charging excess capacity can be directed to the remaining EV's to accelerate the end of their charging sessions…

I love me some dynamic load EV charging setup - and I love my 4 charger 100 amp setup and really like being able to charge 2 or 3 EV's at once and have the chargers optimize the amps dynamically during the charging session.

the Gen3 chargers while they can share 100 amp circuits (or potentially larger) each charger itself is only capable of 48 amps maximum - this means you can setup a 100 amp subpanel, but the wire run to each EV charger need only be a wire gauge suitable for 48 amps - since no one charger will ever deliver more than 48 amps (12 kW) - this saves on high end wire costs to wire each charger (smaller conduit, and less stiff wire)

so you run one big pull of 2-0 wire for a 200 amp subpanel - and then install two 100 amp breakers - but off of each 100 amp breaker you only need to run 6 gauge 3 conductor wire to each charger - you then configure each "bank" of 8 chargers to tell them they can split 100 amps each - and the charger software will co-operate among each of the 8 chargers to manage the 80 amp "budget" of available power - never overloading the main 200 amp feed, but charging up to 16 EV's at once each receiving 10 amps (or 2.4 kW) when all 16 vehicles are charging, or 40 amps each if only 4 EV's are charging - or 48 amps each if only one or two EV's are charging...

this sort of setup would work really really well for an apartment complex.
That would have been a better solution for where I live. I had to install my own dedicated charger and a separate breaker with a separate meter. Cost a small fortune and I had to pay the condo legal fee for the agreement. Total was about $10K - I found that expensive even compared to other Porsche options!!

I like the idea of a shared network of chargers. Much more scalable. Others in my building likely won’t be able to get a charger until we upgrade the panel and lines into the building.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I hear the new update that is being offered to 2020 Taycan owners fixes the 12v battery problem. Has anyone confirmed that?

Chuck J

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
12V issue is discussed in service technician release notes - but they specifically call out "12v issues when charging with the PMCC" - my personal experience with this issue has been with non-Porsche EVSE's - I'm hoping they have addressed additional cases with this release as well. However it's unlikely we'll know for sure until we have "time" with the update - since the problem was rare and non-reproducible in the 1st the place - only time will tell if the 12V issues have been reduced or eradicated.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
How hard is to meter the 12V battery with the app? Or the car itself send a warning message. I don’t this is hard in today’s cars to keep updating the 12V battery health.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
for apartment complexes I think Tesla is on the right track with their Gen 3 Wall charger - these chargers can "network" up to 16 chargers via point-to-point wifi - and they can all be configured to "share" a single high amperage 240 volt circuit - you tell the chargers that maximum number of amp available, and the chargers all co-operate with each other to not exceed 80% of the breaker size - while providing as much power to each of the EV's charging as possible - the chargers are in an ideal position to know how much each vehicle is currently demanding and can adjust and ramp the charging load up or down based on real time charging demands of the current EV's engaged in a charging session…couple this with some integration with power management and knowledge if there is currently excess solar power or you're on battery power and you can dynamically adjust loads and EV charging to optimize for a variety of micro & macro power management goals.

it's really really clever and I look forward to future software exploiting these sorts of capabilities.
I agree that this is a great capability. It is something they offer in their older (Gen 2) Wall Charger, but unfortunately it's not currently supported in the Gen 3 units. Tesla has been talking about this capability since the charger came out, but they have yet to provide the firmware that supports it.

Colin the Best

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupé Hybrid / 21 Taycan 4s perf.batt.plus
Country flag
Hi everybody
yesterday afternoon I decided to download an additional service on the car (active driving in the lane) and the process started regularly for the download ... this morning, arrived at the garage, I open the car and the door opening anomaly message appears, ... I manage to enter and the message appears that the 12v battery is low ... "approach the charging source" ... the machine started regularly and the new service was unloaded and works regularly, but I can't explain what happened and above all, what should I approach and to what? ......

sveinaan

First Name
Svein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

sveinaan

First Name
Svein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I bought it localy. But the link to the device in my previos post still works.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I bought it localy. But the link to the device in my previos post still works.
Neat piece of kit - thanks for posting - just ordered so apparently is still available (at least in US).
Sponsored

Last edited: