First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Mostly I’m using the ChargePoint Flex.
(Failed twice out of 5 overnight charging sessions)

I used the Porsche charger once. No failure.

No tests yet, post recall fix.
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok. First Test after the recall: “WLB3 – Replace ground point for external power connection.”

FAIL.

12v is dead. Car is dead until Service can come out tomorrow and charge the 12v back up.

That was using the ChargePoint Flex again. I haven’t completely proven it’s this charger.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Ok. First Test after the recall: “WLB3 – Replace ground point for external power connection.”

FAIL.

12v is dead. Car is dead until Service can come out tomorrow and charge the 12v back up.

That was using the ChargePoint Flex again. I haven’t completely proven it’s this charger.
Did Porsche have any thoughts on using a third-party EVSE (in particular, ChargePoint Flex) to charge the Taycan? FWIW, I've been using a ChargePoint Home (the previous generation EVSE) to charge my BMW i3 and never have a problem.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Theoretically, there should not be a problem with 3rd party chargers.

I used older model ChargePoints for my i8 and my ex-wife’s Tesla. No problems.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
this is interesting..... have been following but now getting more and more interested....... wonder if it will do the same with Tesla‘s EVSE........ was not planing to change mine but might have to do that...... has anyone reproduced Don’s problem with a Tesla EVSE? Don, do you know anyone else with a Flex unit? or could you ask ChargePoint to send you a new unit to test if there is a fault in the circuitry on your specific unit.....? IF, in the end you find that it is the FLEX unit itself........

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve contacted ChargePoint. They are investigating on their end.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I wonder if the Porsche mobile charger connect does some kabuki that allows the car to do an orderly completion of the charging process. I also wonder if this is part of the reason we are forced to buy Porsche mobile charger connect with the car. If you have the patience a week of charging with the Porsche mobile charger connect might be informative. Good luck.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if the Porsche mobile charger connect does some kabuki that allows the car to do an orderly completion of the charging process. I also wonder if this is part of the reason we are forced to buy Porsche mobile charger connect with the car. If you have the patience a week of charging with the Porsche mobile charger connect might be informative. Good luck.
Unfortunately, it’s not a matter of patience. It’s wiring & weather that are standing in the way. I can’t directly connect my Porsche charger because it’s a nema 14-50 plug and my outlet is 6-50, so i need an adapter which, when used, exposes the wiring to the rain that’s currently falling.

Rain and 40A of 240V seems a bad combination.

Sigh. #FirstWorldProblems

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Unfortunately, it’s not a matter of patience. It’s wiring & weather that are standing in the way. I can’t directly connect my Porsche charger because it’s a nema 14-50 plug and my outlet is 6-50, so i need an adapter which, when used, exposes the wiring to the rain that’s currently falling.

Rain and 40A of 240V seems a bad combination.

Sigh. #FirstWorldProblems
Don, totally agree with you that an adapter in an exposed location would be unwise. But FYI Porsche does make a cord for the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger that has the NEMA 6-50 also. Pricy to get both but available.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don, totally agree with you that an adapter in an exposed location would be unwise. But FYI Porsche does make a cord for the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger that has the NEMA 6-50 also. Pricy to get both but available.
Yes. Pricey is the problem. $300? for that cable. To test their software. :)

The other problem is the orientation of the plug. To complicate matters... It appears that the standard installation orientation for both the NEMA 6-50 and NEMA 14-50 outlets is with the ground pin at the top. And to accommodate that, the ChargePoint cable (which is only 1 foot long) is normally mounted so that the cable drops down from the station, and plugs in (therefore, with the ground on the cable/up side). They are expecting you to point the plug towards the ground.

But my installation (outside, in a weather-resistant box) the plug had to the oriented the other way: Ground pin down. So the 6-50 plug drops below the box, then comes up into the box from below. So... when I plug in anything else, other than the ChargePoint, the cable now comes out of the plug and goes UP... which means the weatherproof housing can't close. Arrrgh.

I confirmed, with an internet search of pictures, the Porsche/Audi cable is oriented "improperly" for my installation.

I think, maybe what I need is to flip my outlet, and then get a slightly longer 14-50 cord to plug in the ChargePoint.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Yes. Pricey is the problem. $300? for that cable. To test their software. :)

The other problem is the orientation of the plug. To complicate matters... It appears that the standard installation orientation for both the NEMA 6-50 and NEMA 14-50 outlets is with the ground pin at the top. And to accommodate that, the ChargePoint cable (which is only 1 foot long) is normally mounted so that the cable drops down from the station, and plugs in (therefore, with the ground on the cable/up side). They are expecting you to point the plug towards the ground.

But my installation (outside, in a weather-resistant box) the plug had to the oriented the other way: Ground pin down. So the 6-50 plug drops below the box, then comes up into the box from below. So... when I plug in anything else, other than the ChargePoint, the cable now comes out of the plug and goes UP... which means the weatherproof housing can't close. Arrrgh.

I confirmed, with an internet search of pictures, the Porsche/Audi cable is oriented "improperly" for my installation.

I think, maybe what I need is to flip my outlet, and then get a slightly longer 14-50 cord to plug in the ChargePoint.
You might be better off just using a longer cable - it is generally good to have a "drip loop" in wet weather so water does not run directly into the connection. Water running down the cable drips off the loop. Thank you for your superb postings.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Perhaps other Taycan owners on the forum using the Porsche mobile charger connect can comment on their home charging experiences.

louv can you post a picture of your charger installation?

When the Porsche tech comes to re-energize your car is he gathering any data from the car or just charging the battery and calling it a day?

EVOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
this is interesting..... have been following but now getting more and more interested....... wonder if it will do the same with Tesla‘s EVSE........ was not planing to change mine but might have to do that...... has anyone reproduced Don’s problem with a Tesla EVSE? Don, do you know anyone else with a Flex unit? or could you ask ChargePoint to send you a new unit to test if there is a fault in the circuitry on your specific unit.....? IF, in the end you find that it is the FLEX unit itself........
My battery died the first time I charged my car with my Tesla HPWC with TeslaTap adapter. I've charged it maybe 3-5 more times since then and it hasn't happened.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You might be better off just using a longer cable - it is generally good to have a "drip loop" in wet weather so water does not run directly into the connection. Water running down the cable drips off the loop. Thank you for your superb postings.
Yes, a drip loop is always a good thing in outside installations. (and current install has one) I've ordered a new outlet and a new (longer) cable.

Additionally, ChargePoint is sending me a new "Station to Car" cable. They think there might be a connection issue.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps other Taycan owners on the forum using the Porsche mobile charger connect can comment on their home charging experiences.

louv can you post a picture of your charger installation?

When the Porsche tech comes to re-energize your car is he gathering any data from the car or just charging the battery and calling it a day?
Yes, the Technician pulls logs from the car each time. But... what he wants to do (someday) is leave the Diagnostic Computer attached to log other info to try and catch it as it fails. We're still arranging the best time/place to do that.
Sponsored