louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Is there a definitive way to not have this happen? Assume charging at home and want to use time of day charging.

Thanks
I *think* the only way to avoid this is to unplug as soon as charging is complete. My gut tells me that the car is being woken from “sleep” and then doesn’t return to a sleep state, keeping (nearly) everything awake drains the 12v.
Sponsored

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a Juicebox I can loan you and send Out to you if you would like to try a different home box. Just let me know
Thank you, that’s very kind, but I’m trying to let Porsche take the ball and run with it. I assume they can find root cause much easier than I can (since I don’t have easy access to a diagnostic computer, or the source code!)

glennkreisel

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, taycan turbo
Country flag
Thank you, that’s very kind, but I’m trying to let Porsche take the ball and run with it. I assume they can find root cause much easier than I can (since I don’t have easy access to a diagnostic computer, or the source code!)
You will let us know if it’s fixed?
I’m worried my turbo is on the boat coming w the same issue u have. Interesting.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You will let us know if it’s fixed?
I’m worried my turbo is on the boat coming w the same issue u have. Interesting.
Yes, I’ll let everyone know as soon as I know anything. Assuming Porsche tells me anything. It’s not like they feel the need to deliver Release Notes when they deliver new software versions.(example: The last two versions of their iOS charging app “Charging NA” (which is an ironic name, btw) but I digress)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And the bug bites me... Again. 12v battery is dead. I had plugged in, and it was waiting to charge late tonight

Apparently, retrofitting red seatbelts into a car does not fix electrical software bugs. Now I know!

I suspect that I might forego using any timers or profiles, and just stick to Direct Charging (gasp!) to the dreaded 100%!!! ...and then unplug the car. I think that will keep my car out of this state.

Tomorrow morning I’ll see if I can reawaken my car and recharge the 12v battery without a home visit from my favorite Porsche Technician.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Don:
You may have to diagnose and fix the problem yourself

Chuck J

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
And the bug bites me... Again. 12v battery is dead. I had plugged in, and it was waiting to charge late tonight

Apparently, retrofitting red seatbelts into a car does not fix electrical software bugs. Now I know!

I suspect that I might forego using any timers or profiles, and just stick to Direct Charging (gasp!) to the dreaded 100%!!! ...and then unplug the car. I think that will keep my car out of this state.

Tomorrow morning I’ll see if I can reawaken my car and recharge the 12v battery without a home visit from my favorite Porsche Technician.
Wow, I would have thought retrofitting red seatbelts would have definitely fixed the issue in fact it should fix all issues :)

Poluski

First Name
Andrzej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, 914-6, 944 Turbo, Taycan 4S
Country flag
So Don, help me understand what the problem is...are you saying that a charge set for certain time of the night and to a certain charge percentage can't be done with a Porsche charger? I read your original post and all the events in between. I thought that Porsche was able to duplicate this at their dealer. Was there a fix that you supposedly got but the problem is still there? Are you the only one on this forum that is using this delayed charge up to a certain percentage? That can't be right. Are others having the same issue with this charging protocol?
thx
A--

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t know the root cause of the bug. I’ve been hesitant to post my opinion because it might be wrong, and I don’t want to spread disinformation.

But.., it’s now been six weeks, and Porsche USA doesn’t communicate directly with me, only through my dealership... so it feels like playing telephone.

Here’s what I THINK is happening:
-Plug in to AC charge (Level 2)
-While it’s plugged in, and waiting for charging to occur (due to Profile & Timers) the user connects via the Smartphone App and changes a Timer or Profile. This “wakes up” some systems in the car.
-For some reason the car does not go back into a Sleep state, causing a high draw on the 12v system.
-The DC-DC 800v to 12v converter is not on, so the 12v battery is drawn down to the point where it is dead.
-The last thing the car does is set off a Tampering Alarm (As if someone disconnected the 12v). At this point, Porsche Connect calls me on the cell phone.

How To Avoid This Bug:
-Do not change Timer or Profile settings vis your smartphone while the car is plugged in waiting for a charge (or is still plugged in after taking a charge).
Or...
-Only use the Direct Charging mode, allowing the car to go to 100% SoC (or wherever it gets when you physically unplug the car). Still, Don’t change settings via the smartphone App.

Note: None of this applies to DC Fast charging (because that’s always “Direct Charging” and will charge until full)

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So Don, help me understand what the problem is...are you saying that a charge set for certain time of the night and to a certain charge percentage can't be done with a Porsche charger? I read your original post and all the events in between. I thought that Porsche was able to duplicate this at their dealer. Was there a fix that you supposedly got but the problem is still there? Are you the only one on this forum that is using this delayed charge up to a certain percentage? That can't be right. Are others having the same issue with this charging protocol?
thx
A--
No, there has been no Fix.

Yes, this is happening to other people, but with (seemingly) far less frequency than to me. Maybe I’m weird. I don’t know why it’s hitting me nearly every time I charge (maybe I keep playing with knobs and dials and settings too much!)

I’ve asked for an update from Porsche. I don’t know if they will tell me anything.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
No, there has been no Fix.

Yes, this is happening to other people, but with (seemingly) far less frequency than to me. Maybe I’m weird. I don’t know why it’s hitting me nearly every time I charge (maybe I keep playing with knobs and dials and settings too much!)

I’ve asked for an update from Porsche. I don’t know if they will tell me anything.
If this is happening so often and also the battery is depleted over night, there must be some large consumers running in the car? It can not be just the comma interface? Fans? Pumps?

I have charged my car in my garage a few times now and that has been just fine. However I have set the Timer before I plug in and then just left it to its own. I have not tried to change anything with the app.

Do you have good cellular coverage where the car is charging or is it faint?

I think you said it did not matter which charger you were using either??

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know this isn't what you want to hear but at this point aren't you entitled to a new replacement vehicle under the "Lemon law"?

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I don’t know the root cause of the bug. I’ve been hesitant to post my opinion because it might be wrong, and I don’t want to spread disinformation.

But.., it’s now been six weeks, and Porsche USA doesn’t communicate directly with me, only through my dealership... so it feels like playing telephone.

Here’s what I THINK is happening:
-Plug in to AC charge (Level 2)
-While it’s plugged in, and waiting for charging to occur (due to Profile & Timers) the user connects via the Smartphone App and changes a Timer or Profile. This “wakes up” some systems in the car.
-For some reason the car does not go back into a Sleep state, causing a high draw on the 12v system.
-The DC-DC 800v to 12v converter is not on, so the 12v battery is drawn down to the point where it is dead.
-The last thing the car does is set off a Tampering Alarm (As if someone disconnected the 12v). At this point, Porsche Connect calls me on the cell phone.

How To Avoid This Bug:
-Do not change Timer or Profile settings vis your smartphone while the car is plugged in waiting for a charge (or is still plugged in after taking a charge).
Or...
-Only use the Direct Charging mode, allowing the car to go to 100% SoC (or wherever it gets when you physically unplug the car). Still, Don’t change settings via the smartphone App.

Note: None of this applies to DC Fast charging (because that’s always “Direct Charging” and will charge until full)
I'm "thinking" you're on the right track or completely correct :) - And I was only a program manager for automatic flight control software which means there is probably a 99% change you are generally correct because you were a software quality manager :cool: Get with it Porsche, you are in charge!

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this isn't what you want to hear but at this point aren't you entitled to a new replacement vehicle under the "Lemon law"?
I did a Lemon Law (on a Honda vehicle in Texas) and though I was successful, state laws are different. You have to be without a vehicle (because it's in their shop) for a long period of time or several short periods of time. And in this case, it not only would take 6-9 months, but then you would have to wait 6 months for a new vehicle. SAD. It also has to be a dangerous condidion (which one could argue it is). The good news is, of course you get to drive the vehicle for practically free if you win. You definitely don't want to take it to court under the Lemon Law or the manufacturer gets to go to appeals court also and they seem to have unlimited funds. Arbitration is much better because if you lose, you can then take it to court.

Chuck J

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
Had something similar on a different car and had to put amp meters on all the fuses let the car go to sleep and then monitor. One of them spiked and it turned out to be a duff controller.
As above - it really has to be something quite significant to drain a 12v battery. Mobile communication device could do it but even then it’s a lot
Sponsored