louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I know this isn't what you want to hear but at this point aren't you entitled to a new replacement vehicle under the "Lemon law"?
I have zero interest in Lemon Law for this car, or this situation. I’m 99.99% sure this is a software issue.

I’m 100% sure Porsche will (eventually) fix the problem.

I adore this car. You can’t pry it out of my hands. (Well, unless you handed me a free upgraded car built to my spec!)

Also, I now have the tools (and knowledge) to “recover” from a dead 12v battery. No more house calls necessary from my local Service Technician.
Sponsored

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Taycan 12 V battery is relatively small at 60 AH. It is enough to boot up the car and then it is to be kept topped off from the 800 V battery.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Eleven days ago I left my Taycan 4S in a garage about 1000 miles away from where I am currently staying. When I parked the car, I set up the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (wifi, linked it to my Porsche Connect account, plugged in as a Level 1 charger using a standard US wall plug – 6A setting on PMCC). I installed a Blink security camera in the garage to see/monitor the status lights on the PMCC. When I left the car I did not set up a Timer profile. The only active profile was the one set by the factory to ensure 25% minimum state of charge. To address the potential problem experienced by @louv with the 12v battery, I also installed a trickle charger made by Battery Tender for lithium batteries. Since the accessory outlets in the Taycan are off when the car is off, I used a connector made by Battery Tender to plug in the trickle charger to the OBDII port under the dashboard.

Five days after I left the car, I decided to discontinue the AC charging before it reached 100% SOC. Following the instructions provided by @louv in a different thread, I used the Porsche Connect app to stop the direct charging at 70%. I successfully created a Timer profile to charge up to 85% SOC every day. This was all done remotely. It worked. I have been monitoring the trickle charger and the PMCC status lights via the security camera.

Four days ago, I noticed that the SOC dropped from 85% to 83% and the solid green LEDs on the PMCC switched to flashing blue lights and the charging status changed to Paused. According to the owner’s manual no cause for alarm for the blue lights. Two days later, I noticed via my security camera that the blue lights changed to the slow flashing green LEDs indicating the PMCC was charging the high voltage battery. The next day the status lights on the PMCC were solid green again indicating that the SOC was back to 85% in accordance with the Timer profile.

However, a few days ago the Porsche Server stopped communicating with the car. The Porsche Connect app still indicates that the PMCC is in the Pause status and the Porsche Connect app shows red dots in the network diagram between the Porsche Server and the car. The SOC and charging status have not updated in the Porsche Connect app since the communication with the Porsche server was lost. I know the current status of the PMCC via my security camera in the garage. The 12v trickle charger has been solid green for the last ten days. I will be flying down next Wednesday to check on the house and car. Fingers crossed the SOC is 85% and the 12v battery is not flat.

I don’t know if the drop in the SOC of the high voltage battery from 83% to 85% while the car was parked and the change in status to the blinking blue lights and Paused status were related to the car waking up and draining the 12v battery that @louv experienced.

If you are planning to leave your Taycan parked/stored for an extended period of time, I recommend using a trickle charger made for 12v lithium batteries (not just for lead acid batteries). The OBDII connector makes it very easy to connect and disconnect the trickle charger.

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
The Taycan 12 V battery is relatively small at 60 AH. It is enough to boot up the car and then it is to be kept topped off from the 800 V battery.
For a car requiring and engine to crank, yes pretty small but for a 12v system
Assuming it’s fully charged (and not faulty) that 60AH battery should easily last 12 hours with a 3 amp load with a decent safety margin. That’s a reasonable load.
It’s not doing something stupid like tripping the interior lights?
(I had one car where the passenger sun visor was dropping enough under its own weight it tripped the mirror light... oh that was such fun tracking that one down...
Another one I had was the brake pedal return spring giving out and it resting on the brake light switch...)

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Don,
Were you able document your DIY the dead Taycan recovery steps?

Thanks,

Rob

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For a car requiring and engine to crank, yes pretty small but for a 12v system
Assuming it’s fully charged (and not faulty) that 60AH battery should easily last 12 hours with a 3 amp load with a decent safety margin. That’s a reasonable load.
It’s not doing something stupid like tripping the interior lights?
(I had one car where the passenger sun visor was dropping enough under its own weight it tripped the mirror light... oh that was such fun tracking that one down...
Another one I had was the brake pedal return spring giving out and it resting on the brake light switch...)
I haven’t tried monitoring each fuse to see what is being left on. That is an excellent diagnostic step, but is bordering on “work”. I know it isn’t keeping the interior lights on because I’ve watched it with a camera. :)

And two things about “work”: Porsche isn’t paying me for this “work”. In fact Porsche USA has NEVER contacted me directly about this issue.

Secondly, I fully believe they can now recreate the bug and probably don’t need my help!

Poluski

First Name
Andrzej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, 914-6, 944 Turbo, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don...which charger dedicated for LiFePO4 batteries did you purchase? I scanned previous posts but did not find a reference. Anyone else with some good recommendations feel free to chime in. I'm thinking of having one in the garage or trunk just in case.

thx.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Don,
Were you able document your DIY the dead Taycan recovery steps?

Thanks,

Rob
It’s actually in the “Good To Know” App manual!

In the Section
12-volt battery

Emergency unlatching of the hood
And
Charging the 12 V battery using the charger

I’ll try to write it up in a simplified form.

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Any news on this? I was due to pick my new Taycan up today and I now can't do to a 12v battery issues. So pissed off
Porsche Taycan Don Breaks His Taycan - The Saga of the 12v Battery c

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any news on this? I was due to pick my new Taycan up today and I now can't do to a 12v battery issues. So pissed off
c.jpg
No. No progress. No news from Porsche.

Does this go away if they recharge the 12v battery and reset the fault?

Or does it still stay? Which means the 12v battery is damaged. Replacement will take a few days (order a new one, wait, then the installation takes a day because the 800v system has to be disconnected which is a huge safety process)

Anyway, sorry to hear your car is delayed.

GDHazy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No. No progress. No news from Porsche.

Does this go away if they recharge the 12v battery and reset the fault?

Or does it still stay? Which means the 12v battery is damaged. Replacement will take a few days (order a new one, wait, then the installation takes a day because the 800v system has to be disconnected which is a huge safety process)

Anyway, sorry to hear your car is delayed.
No idea, this was sent from Porsche as I was due to collect today. Based on this they can not release the vehicle until a fix is found

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
No idea, this was sent from Porsche as I was due to collect today. Based on this they can not release the vehicle until a fix is found
That delay in delivery is crazy. If that were me I’d tell them to invoice it now, but tell them not to register till September. Pay in September obviously.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Not cool!!!

Don: I thought this was just when you were using your Chargepoint charger. Not true?

Chuck J

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That delay in delivery is crazy. If that were me I’d tell them to invoice it now, but tell them not to register till September. Pay in September obviously.
It's not crazy. They obviously can't deliver a vehicle to a customer if they can't get a warning message to go away.

I'll wager it is no more than a week delay (assuming the 12v battery is dead).

Of course, it might be a different problem.
Sponsored