pod1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So this morning, the app tells me tht there has been an error in charging and to try again. I dutifully march out to the garage and can see that the car jumps to life but the dreaded white flashing light is not flashing anymore. So I plug her in. Surprise - it starts to charge! Then all of a sudden, the dreaded red screen - error message to the effect of - the circuit breaker has tripped, please correct and try again. But the car by now has gone totally dead - key fob has no effect, all screens are black. Now what?
Same thing happened to me last week. Since I’m new to EV and Porsche I had the car towed to the dealer using Porsche Roadside Assistant. Or you can have the 12v jumped and recharged and hopefully it will allow you to drive to the dealer. Hope this helps.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
This update should help you guys. I picked up my 4S yesterday, the updates to the car have been done before I picked up. PCM has only glitches once and I believe that was a profile issue on Porsche’s server. Once they fixed that everything has been sweet.

Austrian4S

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport (2011), Range Rover (2016)
Country flag
@louv do you know what parts? My dealer did not mention hardware and said I could wait at the dealership while the software updates were being performed.
I read approx 120mins For update on the pdf on next page

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
@louv do you know what parts? My dealer did not mention hardware and said I could wait at the dealership while the software updates were being performed.
The parts needed for my car might be different than others, since my car was a “Launch” car (Built 12/2019). Your service advisor can tell you what (if any) your car needs. Maybe none.

I’ll post more when I know details. I don’t want to speculate.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any idea whether these parts are readily available or if these are new things needing to be ordered and shipped from Germany?
No idea. I know they started ordering them yesterday. No ETA as of yet.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I read approx 120mins For update on the pdf on next page
I am scheduled to bring the car into the dealership in two weeks. It is not the dealership where I bought the car because when I ordered the car last year I was living in a different state. I am not sure if I was told to wait b/c the update does not require hardware for my particular car, or if they are being stingy with loaners for someone coming from elsewhere.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am scheduled to bring the car into the dealership in two weeks. It is not the dealership where I bought the car because when I ordered the car last year I was living in a different state. I am not sure if I was told to wait b/c the update does not require hardware for my particular car, or if they are being stingy with loaners for someone coming from elsewhere.
It could be lots of things. Scheduling the one Tech who can work on Taycans is part of the issue here. Today’s update for me was scheduled over a week ago.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I sent a follow up email to the service advisor at the dealership where I bought the car. He said for my VIN it was software only.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have contact my Porsche service - my vehicle is eligible for the campaign - they offered to do it right away (tomorrow) - or wait to do it when they have my pano glass…(next few weeks)

I opt'd to wait for the pano-glass - so I'll do both at once with only one service visit.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I believe THESE TWO THINGS FIX THE 12V ISSUE I've had, and others have had.

1) Replacement of the 12v Battery, to correct a manufacturing defect. :cool:
2) A software update, including updates to the charging systems.

HARDWARE-------------------------------------

12-volt vehicle electrical system battery (lithium-ion battery)

Affected Vehicles:
There are 578 vehicles in North America affected by this campaign

Information:
Due to a manufacturing error, there is a possibility that the internal current sensor for the 12-volt vehicle electrical system battery does not meet the required specifications on the affected vehicles.
As a result, the charge state will be calculated incorrectly and the 12-volt vehicle electrical system battery will then be totally discharged when the vehicle is parked up for extended periods without an external power supply.

Remedial Action:
Replace 12-volt vehicle electrical system battery (lithium-ion battery).

Parts:
V04015001BA 12-volt vehicle electrical system battery Qty:1
PAF106825 Cheese head bolt, M8 x 50. Strut to body. Qty:4
Scope:
Working time:
Replacing vehicle electrical system battery ; Labor time 163 TU
Includes:
Removing and installing strut
Removing and installing wiper arm

SOFTWARE:--------------------------------------

WLG2 - Updating Software for Various Control Units VR8.7

Affected Vehicles
There are 2,387 vehicles affected by this campaign.

Updated Versions:
High-voltage power electronics, front and rear 0007
Control unit for high-voltage charger (OBC) 1079
High-voltage battery control unit (BMCe) E870
HV voltage converter 0899
Brake booster (electric brake booster) 0100
High-voltage DC charger (booster) 0990
Engine electronics (DME) 0005
Brake electronics (PSM) 0094
Driver’s seat and passenger’s seat adjustment 0064
Assistance systems (zFAS) 0355

Software Updates VR8.6 & VR8.7(marked below with * and in bold):

Navigation and infotainment: Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
- Quick Filter "Charging stations" is permanently visible in the PCM in order to select charging stations as a destination
- Last destinations and favorites, such as "Home" and "Work", remain stored
- Saved satellite map settings are optimized
- Registration via Porsche ID is improved

Assistance systems
- The functionality of Park Distance Control (PDC) is optimized and sporadic system failures that currently occur are corrected. *

Charging
- A new charging cable with a cable length of 7.5 meter can also be used in the future
- The charge state calculation is optimized and thus any limited system shutdowns are avoided.
- At-home charging is improved. Any premature disruption of the charging process is prevented *
- The calculation of the battery capacity is optimized further *

Air conditioning
- The functionality of the air conditioning is optimized: Temperature settings in the rear air-conditioning control panel thus remain constant and sporadic failures of the air conditioning are corrected

Chassis and driving comfort
- The starting comfort at full acceleration is optimized
- Possible chassis noises from the front axle area are reduced
- The lift function is improved. The set vehicle height is not lost after a restart *
- Software optimizations improve the functionality of the Porsche Stability Management (PSM) when driving downhill or during stop-and-go driving *

Digital cockpit display (instrument cluster)
- Various soware optimizations prevent the sporadic, short-lived display of various messages and thus improve the driving experience *

Seat adjustment
- On vehicles in non-Connect markets, the chosen seat memory settings of the driver's seat will now also be preserved after the driving readiness is complete
- In future, when using a guest profile, seat and ergonomic positions will be stored and will not be lost after a restart.*

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@louv thanks for all that detail and for your contributions to this process!

Good to hear that the 12V battery issue was partly (mainly?) caused by a hardware issue since those are easier to remedy than some odd software gremlins.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@louv thanks for all that detail and for your contributions to this process!

Good to hear that the 12V battery issue was partly (mainly?) caused by a hardware issue since those are easier to remedy than some odd software gremlins.
I get the feeling it was both.

What I find amusing is that modern LiFePO4 batteries are so smart that they too have firmware. (Known as BMS: Battery Management System). Apparently THAT can’t be updated, just replaced.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get the feeling it was both.

What I find amusing is that modern LiFePO4 batteries are so smart that they too have firmware. (Known as BMS: Battery Management System). Apparently THAT can’t be updated, just replaced.
i mean cables have operating systems and cpus now too ...
Sponsored