TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Seems like it's proven that any use of the Connect app after the initial handshake is risky. I never use mine.

Chuck J
So we need to all bin the Connect app - Goodness me. How ironic that a free app will kill your six figure car within a few hours...
Sponsored

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
SAD! As an owner of 18 Porsche cars since i
1967 I say get with it Porsche!

Chuck J

Poluski

First Name
Andrzej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, 914-6, 944 Turbo, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well just this weekend somehow I was able to kill mine. Had the car charging on a Profile to 80%. It stopped at 80% according to Connect app. A day later I went to the car and totally dead. Pulled on the cord to disconnect the charger plug. Then went to AutoZone to get NOCO Boost HD GB70 lithium battery jump starter. Will attempt the wake up with it and see if the 800V battery will then charge up the 12V. Not sure why this happened to begin with. The only thing that I remember is that during charging (I think) the Connect app asked me if I wanted to turn on the Bluetooth to have the app connect to the car automatically when approaching it. Naturally I said sure. So I don’t know if that was the cause. I have the updated software and my 12V battery was not part of the replacement campaign.
Ok an update....got the thing going.
-Used the NOCO Boost (in Override mode) to open the frunk. Had to read the manual/Good To Know app which tells you to use the REMOTE to press the frunk key. Connection to the positive terminal in the foot well and the black bracket for the door arrestor is easy. Frunk popped right up with the remote key.
-I only had a 2 amp Lithium charger/maintainer. Used that overnight but it did not do much. The battery voltage was barely above 1 volt.
-Called the dealer in the morning and they gave the go ahead to use the Boost directly to the jump terminals in the frunk. I was concerned about the low state of the battery. Again put the Boost in the Override mode and connected it with reassuring sparks and clicks along the way. The charge port closed, the door handles opened up. The beast came to life.
-I left the Boost connected for next 10-15 min. Initially got a message that the 12V battery is low. Had to do a parking brake/motion reset per instructions.
-Disconnected the Boost and checked the info panel for the batt voltage and it was at 13.4V.
-Put the car in Reverse and it moved. All seems to be ok.
Porsche Taycan Don Breaks His Taycan - The Saga of the 12v Battery 1600698732422

-Noco Boost is an extremely well designed product. Will have it with me in the car at all times from now on.

So why did this happen??? It was either the Connect App requesting (and me accepting) the Bluetooth connection preference while charging or me leaving the car plugged in after it was done charging in the PROFILE (no Timer) setting where the Connect app said that charging was Paused. In the past I would disconnect the cord within a few hours when the charge hit 80% Profile. I have never left it plugged in like that overnight. Anyone else have an experience with charging with a PROFILE and leaving the car/charging in a Paused state?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
-Used the NOCO Boost (in Override mode) to open the frunk. Had to read the manual/Good To Know app which tells you to use the REMOTE to press the frunk key. Connection to the positive terminal in the foot well and the black bracket for the door arrestor is easy. Frunk popped right up with the remote key.
-I only had a 2 amp Lithium charger/maintainer. Used that overnight but it did not do much. The battery voltage was barely above 1 volt.
-Called the dealer in the morning and they gave the go ahead to use the Boost directly to the jump terminals in the frunk. I was concerned about the low state of the battery. Again put the Boost in the Override mode and connected it with reassuring sparks and clicks along the way. The charge port closed, the door handles opened up. The beast came to life.
-I left the Boost connected for next 10-15 min. Initially got a message that the 12V battery is low. Had to do a parking brake/motion reset per instructions.
-Disconnected the Boost and checked the info panel for the batt voltage and it was at 13.4V.
1600698732422.jpeg

-Noco Boost is an extremely well designed product. Will have it with me in the car at all times from now on.

So why did this happen??? It was either the Connect App requesting (and me accepting) the Bluetooth connection preference while charging or me leaving the car plugged in after it was done charging in the PROFILE (no Timer) setting where the Connect app said that charging was Paused. In the past I would disconnect the cord within a few hours when the charge hit 80% Profile. I have never left it plugged in like that overnight. Anyone else have an experience with charging with a PROFILE and leaving the car/charging in a Paused state?
Glad you were able to wake the car up again.

Everyone: It’s very important that your service department report this to Porsche EVERY time this happens. It appears there are other causes for the 12v failure. Porsche *might* think they have solved this issue. While being able to recover the car without a tow truck and a service visit is great, it masks the extent and importance of the problem.

I might even suggest that after you recover the car, you immediately take it to Service and have their tech pull logs from the car.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
1600698732422.jpeg

I have mine set on 85% and leave it plugged in all the time (until I want to drive or charge up my other car) with no issue. I do not use the Connect app for anything.

Chuck J

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
1600698732422.jpeg

Thanks for the update. Interesting that the charger didn't have much effect. I know that sometimes you have to use a "force" mode to make them get started on a severely depleted battery, is that needed on your charger?

As the Noco jump starters are pretty inexpensive I think I'll order one of them to keep in the car, seems like a nice insurance to have.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
1600698732422.jpeg

I left mine plugged in over 24 hours after it charged to 85% and checked on it with the app several times during charging and after it was charged. No issues with the batteries for now. Touch wood. My back was killing me and that is why I did not go to the garage to unplug the charger !

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
... -I only had a 2 amp Lithium charger/maintainer. Used that overnight but it did not do much. The battery voltage was barely above 1 volt.
-Put the car in Reverse and it moved. All seems to be ok. ...
Nice work!

Your procedure seems perfect. The Connect manual suggests connecting a booster battery for 5 minutes. The 800V battery will take over the charging when the car is alive.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
so ok - one has the Noco boost with them "in the car" - does anyone have the short cut/instructxions for "opening" the car door when it's completely dead?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
so ok - one has the Noco boost with them "in the car" - does anyone have the short cut/instructxions for "opening" the car door when it's completely dead?
1. Remove keyfob-remote from Pocket. (Or purse)
2. Removed emergency key from keyfob-remote
3. Lift driver’s side door handle
4. Insert emergency key
5. Turn key
6. Pull on door to open it

awd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2019 GT3 RS
Country flag
My brand new 4S (under 1000km) died on Friday. Same thing as everyone else has mentioned - I believe it's due to the usage of the Connect App.

Roadside came to pick it up and learn how to get the car to open up and eventually power on.

It's at the dealership now, waiting to see what they say. I am in Canada, and they have no recalls for the battery or the charging grounds, or anything else previously mentioned. Assume that's because Canada Taycan numbers are so low, it hasn't been triggered yet.

I'll be buying the Noco boost as well I guess.

In the garage the car is usually connected to the Porsche charger (via 14-50 receptacle). Profile is set to 85% for 7AM.

Was only prompted today to allow Bluetooth when I opened the app to spy on the dealership.

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Does anyone know if all these issues Will be fixed in MY21 Vehicles? My 2021 T4S build is scheduled for november with december delivery, and would be great if known errors is fixed before taking delivery..

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
So we need to all bin the Connect app - Goodness me. How ironic that a free app will kill your six figure car within a few hours...

It appears that Porsche's strong point is NOT software...

- Charging NA App? The current version of the Charging NA App has a documented issue in that it won't let you select a 350KW charger for activation. Likely a very simple fix. Porsche hasn't fixed this yet. Their solution is to downgrade the IOS app to a previous release rather than fix this problem. So, any fixes or enhancements in the newer version get thrown out the window for IOS users. Android users? We are still screwed - they didn't even downgrade our software. They don't appear to care...

- Porsche Connect? Never could log in to the app (Android) without having to continually "force stop" and clear the cache and data for the app. This was what Porsche Tech told me to do. Very frustrating. Not worth the frustration to try and use it...especially if it can kill your battery...

- PCM Firmware? It seems we have known (or speculated) for quite some time that using the Porsche Connect App can kill your battery if you log in (assuming you CAN log in) to change your charging parameters...

WTF Porsche? What kind of crap software is this? They know about these issues! Why don't they fix this junk?

Poluski

First Name
Andrzej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, 914-6, 944 Turbo, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the update. Interesting that the charger didn't have much effect. I know that sometimes you have to use a "force" mode to make them get started on a severely depleted battery, is that needed on your charger?

As the Noco jump starters are pretty inexpensive I think I'll order one of them to keep in the car, seems like a nice insurance to have.
Yes...seems like the NOCO products have that "force' feature. It helps to read the manual. I did use that feature to get things going but the charger was just 2 Amp so it was really slow. The battery can be charged up to 90 Amps per manual. If one was to get a Lithium charger I'd say 10 Amps would be minimum. As it was pointed by others, the booster and onboard charging works just fine as well.
Sponsored

Last edited: