First Name
Saad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello Guys,
I have just received my new taycan 4s coming from Germany to Egypt,once it’s delivered to the sea port I found that the 12v lithium battery is totally drained,I made a jump start and got it outside the port,I tried to charge it with several chargers but I failed..I went to Porsche in Egypt and unfortunately the couldn’t help because it’s not yet authorized to service it in egypt and told me may be later in April they can after doing some training in Germany..I ordered a new battery from Germany through a fried of me but unfortunately he is not able to ship it due to a specific battery test (38.3UN test report) and he can’t do it and Porsche is not giving that test..
I found that the battery is manufactured from A123 systems http://www.a123systems.com/automotive/products/systems/12v-starter-battery/
I searched about how to charge A123 system lithium lifepo4 battery and found that charger on Amazon

SHIDO Battery charger DC 4.0, 6/12V 4A charging/receives all battery types.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B084BVGFFZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8EYDREC5B1MFW28SYZ8Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know how can I charge my battery? Or that charger will charge it or not ?

Porsche Taycan Drained 12v battery 7CA0815F-5F96-41C0-9A8E-C0A811CC3550

Porsche Taycan Drained 12v battery AFCE67AF-318A-4D5E-BDD0-D217660E4E2D

Porsche Taycan Drained 12v battery 49353D3A-5630-49D0-BC6F-AA7448192D23

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
turnt he vehcile on and it will charge the battery - trickle chargers are unlikely to be effective…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if turning on the vehicle does not charge your 12V battery - then you have an issue with the vehicle that will need diagnosis by your local Porsche service center.

Take it to them for their best guess as to what is going on.

but if the vehicle is behaving normally this problem will resolve itself if the vehicle is turned on and given time for the big battery to charge the little battery.

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
First thing first
Is your battery fully drained ? That would mean u cannot enter the car unlock it press the start button and nothing will pop up no electronics will be working

if that’s the case here is a link describing how to charge your dead battery with pictures

dead battery entry link
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2932510/2020_PorscheTaycan_DeadBatteryEntry_Tipsheet_V4.pdf

Dead battery jump start link
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2932510/2020_PorscheTaycan_12VJumpStart_Tipsheet_V4.pdf

If you succeed in jump start and then drive around the 12v battery will charge automatically

if your electronics are working and u can enter the car by unlocking it and 12v is not charging up then issue with the complete battery platform underneath the car and no one can help u besides Porsche

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
The charger you used to jump start the car which was at the port will charge the battery as well if u keep it for a longer time.
Ihave bought the noco boost charger which chargers theTaycan battery lithium

OP
OP

Saadaboelwafa

First Name
Saad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
The charger you used to jump start the car which was at the port will charge the battery as well if u keep it for a longer time.
Ihave bought the noco boost charger which chargers theTaycan battery lithium
At the port I used a 90amps 12v car battery and I drove it outside the container after that I had that red error saying electrical system fault due to 12v battery low,I tried bosch battery charger and ctek charger and they didn’t work,every time I want to lock or unlock the car I need to give it jump start from that other battery and I can drive it with that same error saying electrical system fault due to 12v battery low,after searching and reading about lifepo4 battery I understood that there is a control inside it,if the battery is totally drained that control disconnect the battery that’s why normal agm car chargers don’t see it so can’t charge it..
I ordered that charger from Amazon that charger and waiting to be delivered on Monday

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B084BVGFFZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A84D7J2DGSSA0R6C3DHF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

do you think that scenario make sense and that battery needs special charger for lifepo4 batteries or that battery is damaged?
Also while searching the internet I found that if I ship a car inside a container they consider it dangerous goods and they have to be sure that the car has less than quarter of the gas tank (if normal car) and the battery is disconnected or drained,I believe that they might have drained it totally so it needs special charger to get it back to life..
Please give me opinion
Thank you so much

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
At the port I used a 90amps 12v car battery and I drove it outside the container after that I had that red error saying electrical system fault due to 12v battery low,I tried bosch battery charger and ctek charger and they didn’t work,every time I want to lock or unlock the car I need to give it jump start from that other battery and I can drive it with that same error saying electrical system fault due to 12v battery low,after searching and reading about lifepo4 battery I understood that there is a control inside it,if the battery is totally drained that control disconnect the battery that’s why normal agm car chargers don’t see it so can’t charge it..
I ordered that charger from Amazon that charger and waiting to be delivered on Monday

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B084BVGFFZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A84D7J2DGSSA0R6C3DHF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

do you think that scenario make sense and that battery needs special charger for lifepo4 batteries or that battery is damaged?
Also while searching the internet I found that if I ship a car inside a container they consider it dangerous goods and they have to be sure that the car has less than quarter of the gas tank (if normal car) and the battery is disconnected or drained,I believe that they might have drained it totally so it needs special charger to get it back to life..
Please give me opinion
Thank you so much
About The last thing . My car was shipped from germany to Uk. I imported the car from Uk to pakistan. A 60 day journey.
I was told and read also on manual if you intend to park the car for a min of 4 weeks then the battery must be in between 40-60 percent min. I on the other hand told my dealer to charger the car just in case to 75 percent

now I get the reason why your having this problem . Car wasn’t sufficiently charged and slowly decreasing battery charge. Then it went zero. And u jump started it and maybe too much current or something went wrong there .
Tell me now when ur driving it drives normally or below power. Even with the indication on

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
Any lithium ion jump starter would jump start ur car. Now ur saying u jump started the car with a 90 amp 12 v battery? Was it lithium or was it led acid ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
just a note here - since EV’s are a new vector in the automotive industry - we’re not really jumping the car, as much as we are rebooting it after a loss of power… :) carry on.

OP
OP

Saadaboelwafa

First Name
Saad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Any lithium ion jump starter would jump start ur car. Now ur saying u jump started the car with a 90 amp 12 v battery? Was it lithium or was it led acid ?
When I jump start it I drive normally and the jump start battery was Normal led acid not lithium

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
When I jump start it I drive normally and the jump start battery was Normal led acid not lithium
That’s it . You got to the problem. It had to be a lithium ion jump starter .
That’s why u have this problem

now at least u can drive normally and enjoy the ride
Try buying noco booster I’m attaching a pic of it
And keep it connected for 5 mins when u jump start the car in the day

Porsche Taycan Drained 12v battery image

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If the HV battery has sufficient charge, then once you can get the system started, power on the car and leave it on for a while. Drive it or don't drive it - doesn't matter. What you want is for the HV battery and DC-DC converter to be on, charging the 12V battery. You can configure the Instrument Cluster display (settings -> displays) to show the 12V system voltage and HV state of charge and HV battery temperature. These three are must-haves. The fourth line item can be whatever you want). As long as the HV battery is able to get the 12V system voltage above 13.4 V, it should be well above the safety cut-off point (which is probably in the 10V-11V range). At 13.4V system voltage, you should be able to charge the HV battery with your EVSE.

As others have pointed out, if the 12V battery low voltage relay cuts you out, whatever you connect to the jump start posts isn't charging the 12V battery, it's powering the 12V systems in the vehicle. Once the vehicle 12V is trying to power those same systems, that's when you can have a compatibility problem between 12V lead-acid chargers / jump-starters and the 12V battery.

If either a) your HV battery won't charge the 12V battery or b) you can't charge the HV battery, that's a bigger problem and you will probably need a dealer to help.

The 12V electrical system fault is common after the 12V battery fails. The 12V battery voltage low warning is not common.

OP
OP

Saadaboelwafa

First Name
Saad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
If the HV battery has sufficient charge, then once you can get the system started, power on the car and leave it on for a while. Drive it or don't drive it - doesn't matter. What you want is for the HV battery and DC-DC converter to be on, charging the 12V battery. You can configure the Instrument Cluster display (settings -> displays) to show the 12V system voltage and HV state of charge and HV battery temperature. These three are must-haves. The fourth line item can be whatever you want). As long as the HV battery is able to get the 12V system voltage above 13.4 V, it should be well above the safety cut-off point (which is probably in the 10V-11V range). At 13.4V system voltage, you should be able to charge the HV battery with your EVSE.

As others have pointed out, if the 12V battery low voltage relay cuts you out, whatever you connect to the jump start posts isn't charging the 12V battery, it's powering the 12V systems in the vehicle. Once the vehicle 12V is trying to power those same systems, that's when you can have a compatibility problem between 12V lead-acid chargers / jump-starters and the 12V battery.

If either a) your HV battery won't charge the 12V battery or b) you can't charge the HV battery, that's a bigger problem and you will probably need a dealer to help.

The 12V electrical system fault is common after the 12V battery fails. The 12V battery voltage low warning is not common.
I can charge the hv battery , the problem is after I give the jump start I see the volt of the 12v battery goes up till 14.7v,once I start driving the car the volt goes down very fast till it reaches the safety cut off point and the electrical system error messages appear..
The first point you said to turn on the car so the dc dc charges the 12v battery,I did that but in small time like after one minute the car sleeps and disconnects everything after saying the 12v battery low press power button or connect charging plug..
Also after my first time giving it a jump start,I drove it about 300km from the port to my house but it didn’t charge the car from the hv battery..
I went to Bridgestone and they measured the 12v battery volt and the device said it’s dead battery,I think the 12v battery is deeply discharged so the safety relay is not opening..
Do you think if I put it on a specific lifepo4 battery charger will help to pass the Critical point and the relay opens and accepts charging? Or the 12v battery is damaged ?
Thanks

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
That’s it . You got to the problem. It had to be a lithium ion jump starter .
That’s why u have this problem
are you sure this one is the one to buy?

from their site
The GB40 is for jump starting 12-volt lead-acid batteries only
Sponsored