Dreaded stone chip scratch through the front wheel vent

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 - blt Jun 3, dealer 22 Jun, del me 29..
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Dreaded stone chip scratch through the front wheel vent IMG_3285
Well it happened - scratch on the drivers door courtesy of a stone from the front wheel vent. Luckily in this pic you can’t see it but I know it’s there
Sponsored

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
The little blemishes you can’t unsee once noticed after a detail. They keep me up at night.
i’ve bought the paint set, a carbon sandblock and I have 2 Rupes DA’s that can sort that all out.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Dreaded stone chip scratch through the front wheel vent 20230218_124345

I saw a thread here on how to add a mesh behind the vent and I did that as soon as I got my CT. Did PPF on all 4 doors for good measure. I don't think it will create additional drag to affect range but Porsche must have a reason to omit this from factory?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
20230218_124345.jpg

I saw a thread here on how to add a mesh behind the vent and I did that as soon as I got my CT. Did PPF on all 4 doors for good measure. I don't think it will create additional drag to affect range but Porsche must have a reason to omit this from factory?
Yes, cost…

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
20230218_124345.jpg

Hmm is that press fit from the back? I can see this holding during normal operation but wouldn't a stone throw it out?

It looks interesting. I might do the same.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Hmm is that press fit from the back? I can see this holding during normal operation but wouldn't a stone throw it out?

It looks interesting. I might do the same.
Here's from the door side.

Porsche Taycan Dreaded stone chip scratch through the front wheel vent 20230217_195501

There's a small gap between the door side and the wheel side. The mesh is sitting in that space wedge between the two sides. It's not going to come off without a lot of force.

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
The mesh is a great idea! Fear of stone chips was what led me to speccing the power charge port. Mesh might have changed that calculus

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think I have that kind of mesh locally. Not sure if black or silver but inside the vent probably doesn’t matter.

Thx for the measurements

OP
OP
abrookesuk

abrookesuk

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 - blt Jun 3, dealer 22 Jun, del me 29..
Country flag
Thanks for the replies everyone - mesh ordered!!!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
This was a thread from last year about it.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/air-curtain-gravel-debris-solution.8988/

I did my car and it was really simple. Couple of things I picked up on:
1. The mesh can be cut much easier/neater in a certain direction (diagonal?).
2. You can use a pencil with an eraser on the end to push it into place from the door side.
3. The fit is great. The recess could almost have been made specifically for this mesh to be inserted.

Whether it works fully and whether it disrupts the air curtain is another matter - discussed at length on here in the past.

That said, mine has been in well over a year and is fine. I even pressure wash it no problem. Range seems unaffected.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
This was a thread from last year about it.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/air-curtain-gravel-debris-solution.8988/

I did my car and it was really simple. Couple of things I picked up on:
1. The mesh can be cut much easier/neater in a certain direction (diagonal?).
2. You can use a pencil with an eraser on the end to push it into place from the door side.
3. The fit is great. The recess could almost have been made specifically for this mesh to be inserted.

Whether it works fully and whether it disrupts the air curtain is another matter - discussed at length on here in the past.

That said, mine has been in well over a year and is fine. I even pressure wash it no problem. Range seems unaffected.
Great job. Any mesh will reduce aerodynamic efficiency, but not as much as the e-port's blocked off vent which Porsche think is acceptable. Have you noticed much clogging from debris build-up?

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
I specced power charge port to avoid this issue. That being said I found an iron rod in front vent. Glad it didn't hit front bumper or any other part of my car. During CA winter storm, I found all kind of debris there. It was pain to clean up.

Porsche Taycan Dreaded stone chip scratch through the front wheel vent IMG_5911

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Well it happened - scratch on the drivers door courtesy of a stone from the front wheel vent. Luckily in this pic you can’t see it but I know it’s there
Commiserations- have you got a pic that shows it relative to the vent? I'm curious as to the trajectory of the scratch- I'd guess that anything from the vent would be pretty horizontal, whereas anything coming from another potential source- directly from the wheel while it's turned right- would be angled more upwards (roughly on a line from the lower section of the wheel. Not that I have any experience in airborne debris forensics 😁)
Sponsored