alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan/2017 718 Boxster S/2019 Acura RDX
Country flag
After getting my Turbo S (MY2020) April software update, I've been driving and suddenly have the message "Driver Control Required" pop up on the dash and often it taps the brakes at the same time. I was not using cruise control. I was actively steering (although it happened along a straight street, but I did have both hands on the steering wheel). There are often no other vehicles in the area. Yesterday, it did it and really applied the brakes and despite my depressing the accelerator, I could not speed up (I was in traffic, decided to move to the right lane in case I lost all power, but it came back a few seconds later).
It happened to my husband on the freeway, while using cruise control.
I heard of only one other person who had this happen on the freeway, while using cruise control, and it must have been like my issue yesterday because they thought they were being taken to a full stop despite traffic moving in an optimal fashion.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
that message should only appear when innodrive in engaged

f02kbf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This has happened to a lot of us after the update. It's mentioned in various forms on the FB group. The worst part being, it does it without innodrive engaged and does not follow the normal order of alerting multiple times and then stopping. It just randomly tries to stop when you're actively driving. I made Porsche aware at the corporate level but they didn't seem to care. My dealer reinstalled the update for other issues. That seems to be their cure all. It hasn't happened since the reinstall but it's only been 24hrs. . . In general, the update has been the worst thing to happen to my car.

OP
OP
alinnell

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This has happened to a lot of us after the update. It's mentioned in various forms on the FB group. The worst part being, it does it without innodrive engaged and does not follow the normal order of alerting multiple times and then stopping. It just randomly tries to stop when you're actively driving. I made Porsche aware at the corporate level but they didn't seem to care. My dealer reinstalled the update for other issues. That seems to be their cure all. It hasn't happened since the reinstall but it's only been 24hrs. . . In general, the update has been the worst thing to happen to my car.
Yeah, I spoke up about it on Facebook when it was mentioned by someone else. I also sent an email to my dealer (service rep) and she said she hadn't heard about it but would research--of course, I haven't heard back. For the record, I don't have innodrive. I do have ACC but where we live innodrive doesn't seem necessary.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Just discovered this thread, had it happen 7-10 times on a round trip SF to LA.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have seen it once without Innodrive engaged, but I don't think it did anything to the driving itself. It was just surprising. I wonder if its something in the "driver awareness" safety system.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I have seen it once without Innodrive engaged, but I don't think it did anything to the driving itself. It was just surprising. I wonder if its something in the "driver awareness" safety system.
if you didn't engage with the car it possibly could have gone into it's safety protocol of warning, waking and then stopping

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Saw it once yesterday and I know why. My hands were off the wheel and it corrected car back to center of the lane I was in. FYI: I do NOT have innodrive.

OP
OP
alinnell

alinnell

First Name
Allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apparently Porsche is finally aware of the problem and is doing a "recall" for that reason. What I understand is they'll have us take the car to the dealer for a 90 minute software update.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apparently Porsche is finally aware of the problem and is doing a "recall" for that reason. What I understand is they'll have us take the car to the dealer for a 90 minute software update.
No, the recall is for a completely different issue if the vehicles suddenly dying on the road, a different issue I had.

This is not yet identified but the dealers/Porsche NA. I'm about to bring it it for it and demand a buy out. My car has so many issues.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
No, the recall is for a completely different issue if the vehicles suddenly dying on the road, a different issue I had.

This is not yet identified but the dealers/Porsche NA. I'm about to bring it it for it and demand a buy out. My car has so many issues.
I have gotten the driver assume control warning a number of times despite not having driving assist turned on. it is an annoying glitch that hasn't affected the driving of the car.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have gotten the driver assume control warning a number of times despite not having driving assist turned on. it is an annoying glitch that hasn't affected the driving of the car.
Is your tapping the breaks or just requesting hands on?

I've had two times that the system tried to bring the car to a complete stop on a I-5 to LA run. This was with Innodrive completely disabled, not even in passive. It struggled to register hands on wheels input.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Is your tapping the breaks or just requesting hands on?

I've had two times that the system tried to bring the car to a complete stop on a I-5 to LA run. This was with Innodrive completely disabled, not even in passive. It struggled to register hands on wheels input.
just hands on, one time hands on did nothing, it turned red then went away

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Regardless of the active/enabled driver assist features, the driver attention warnings begin after the steering system does not detect sufficient driver input after a time interval. I believe the sequence is this:
1st warning - red steering wheel icon at bottom of instrument cluster
2nd warning - Driver Control Required message
3rd warning - brief application of the brakes ?
4th warning - sustained application of the brakes

I've never gotten to that 3rd warning, but I have seen the 2nd warning. A quick blip of the wheel always suffices for me. But this is annoying.

I wonder if there is a calibration here - some cars may be more sensitive to steering input (thus fewer driver annoyances) and others less so (more driver annoyances and ultimately brake application).