Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
This, from the manual, is still plenty confusing:

IMG_0222.jpeg

I think of it like this:
  • PID: Porsche InnoDrive adjusts your car's speed to posted limits
  • ACC: Adaptive Cruise Control adjusts your car's speed down from or up to the speed set on cruise control based on other drivers (slower cars, cars pulling in front of you, etc.)
  • LKA: Lane Keep Assist keeps you from driving out of your lane if you fall asleep (bounces you off the lane lines)
  • ALK: Active Lane Keep drives your car smoothly down the lane (without bouncing off the lane lines)
i think you have a good fundamental idea. I would add the PID is more than just a cruise control that reads road signs… it will calculate ahead the radius of a bend and determine the speed it should reduce to so that a maximum go force is not exceeded (g force itself being dependant on the driving mode, sportier mode allows for higher g force.). For example I’ve driven with PID coming and driving through a roundabout without touching the pedals (but steering myself). The car brakes to a speed much lower than the speed limit, allows me to take the roundabout and a reasonable speed and then accelerates back up to the speed limit. If I come to a junction it will nearly stop the car. It’s way more than cruise control with speed limit reading capability

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
the LKA is really there to prevent you from going over the line ; think of it as a help in case you turn to the back seat because your child made a weird sound and you car is about to run into the ditch.Or maybe you’re really tired and you fall asleep for a second. LKA is there to save you (at least that’s the idea)

ALK however is there to take the edge off the driving. It’s less of a safety system, although it also has safety benefits. Imagine for à seins you were driving behind a car just 10 feet behind it at 100mph for a long distance. You’d be constantly under tension, apprehensive of a sudden braking of the car in front. This emotional tension would wear you down. However if you were driving at the same speed but at a greater distance andwith ACC that you completely trust you would be much more relaxed. ALK is supposed to bring you the same “relaxed” benefit when driving but more by keeping you centred In your Lane and without you needing to be tense or constantly correcting with your steering wheel. Think of it as doing for lateral correction what ACC does for automatically adjusting your speed. LKA in that sense is more similar to emergency braking than it is to ACC.
Hope this all makes better sense. Either way, LKA symbol on dash are two green lines representing the edge of the road, ALK has a green steering whee placed between the lines.
THANK YOU! great explanation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I bought a 2020 taycan turbo S that is pending shipping from a dealer.

The car is spec’d with innodrive with adaptive cruise control. Does this mean I have LKA and ALK?

sorry this is confusing stuff

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
Yes and yes.
LKA is part of ACC
ALK is part of Innodrive (when from factory option)

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I bought a 2020 taycan turbo S that is pending shipping from a dealer.

The car is spec’d with innodrive with adaptive cruise control. Does this mean I have LKA and ALK?

sorry this is confusing stuff
Again
Yes and Yes

LKA (Lane Keep Assist) is completely independent. Not dependent on ACC at all. It works from the windscreen camera standard fit on all Taycans.
It does not need the ACC radar.

For example LKA is standard on all UK Taycans whether you have ACC or not.
I don’t know about other regions.

ALK (Active Lane Keeping) is included with the factory fitted Innodrive package but as a FoD it is entirely separate from Innodrive.

If you have ACC you can get ALK as a FoD without getting Innodrive.

Many have done this.

Wawando

First Name
Filipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Taycan CT on the way
Country flag
My GTS MY23 has PID and I just did a 2700km triip. I ended up disabling PID and using the ACC because PID is too intrusive changing can speed in highway driving.
Maybe when driving slowly it would not be so noticeable, but when driving at 160-200 km/h it sucks.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
My GTS MY23 has PID and I just did a 2700km triip. I ended up disabling PID and using the ACC because PID is too intrusive changing can speed in highway driving.
Maybe when driving slowly it would not be so noticeable, but when driving at 160-200 km/h it sucks.
You can switch off the auto speed change in PCM and still use PID.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Is there any setting which allows the old cruise control of a fixed speed selected by the driver and relying on the driver to overtake a slower vehicle whilst staying at his chosen speed rather than slow down and join a peloton?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Is there any setting which allows the old cruise control of a fixed speed selected by the driver and relying on the driver to overtake a slower vehicle whilst staying at his chosen speed rather than slow down and join a peloton?
I don't have the full on ACC or any of that, but you can disable the automated stuff when you enable it, including lane control and just use the stick to go faster or slower. I don't think it slows me down. However, I may now have to go check!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I don't have the full on ACC or any of that, but you can disable the automated stuff when you enable it, including lane control and just use the stick to go faster or slower. I don't think it slows me down. However, I may now have to go check!
I didn’t ask the question before I placed my order, perhaps I should have.

On the 2 cars I own with predictive cruise control I hate it with a deep and intense passion and don’t use it any more since its over-ride is both too early and reverting to the speed I actually want to go uneccesarily aggressive irritatingly “bad driving” I would hate as a passenger. It is only any use if you plan to sit in a peloton of cars with brain in neutral speeding and slowing in unison. I never do.

They have no way of switching to normal cruise control so I can proceed at a steady speed of my choice so I didn’t select ACC. If normal cruise was a choice with ACC in retrospect I would probably have gone for it for resale.

I don’t drive on motorways often and when i do wish to proceed at the speed limit +VAT changing lane when necessary, this is hard to do when using adaptive (and where others are too when whilst driving at steady speed the string of cars you are overtaking speeds up).

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I didn’t ask the question before I placed my order, perhaps I should have.

On the 2 cars I own with predictive cruise control I hate it with a deep and intense passion and don’t use it any more since its over-ride is both too early and reverting to the speed I actually want to go uneccesarily aggressive irritatingly “bad driving” I would hate as a passenger. It is only any use if you plan to sit in a peloton of cars with brain in neutral speeding and slowing in unison. I never do.

They have no way of switching to normal cruise control so I can proceed at a steady speed of my choice so I didn’t select ACC. If normal cruise was a choice with ACC in retrospect I would probably have gone for it for resale.

I don’t drive on motorways often and when i do wish to proceed at the speed limit +VAT changing lane when necessary, this is hard to do when using adaptive (and where others are too when whilst driving at steady speed the string of cars you are overtaking speeds up).
And this is the exact same reason I didn't choose it. It's horrible. I thought it could be turned off with ACC though. I enjoy using my own eyes to see a car and either move to an overtaking lane or apply the go-slower pedal

Cajun Martyni

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
Maybe I’m confused but I don’t understand these concerns with Porsche ACC. As you’re approaching a slower car you can either move to the left and keep your speed or, if the faster lane isn’t open, the ACC slows you down to wait until it is. Then move left and it speeds you back up. In contrast my experience with Tesla autopilot is that it disengages when you manually change lanes and you have to reset it each time you do. I much prefer the Porsche version and think that it and LKA work great on the Highway. That said, I’ve turned off the PID very quickly the few times I’ve tried it.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Agreed. Taycan ACC works just fine in my experience as you described.
PID though, I’m still not sure what it’s trying to do…

Novemberwhisky

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST Crayon.
Country flag
I have ACC, LKA and subscription to PID/Innodrive .. I cant see an option for ALK - i dont get the little green steering wheel. I thought i’d selected the correct options to enable the Porsche version of autopilot. It seems i may not have. I was thinking that Innodrive is a bit useless but it seems I’m missing the important mode of ALK.

Is ALK and therefore the ‘semi-autopilot‘ only available if Innodrive is the factory option but not as a subscription? I think i read here that it needs extra hardwear to be factory fitted.

bit disappointed but i think i screwed up, all be it mildly..
Sponsored