Driving dynamics - are my first impressions off?

Kryptos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone, am new to the forums but have been browsing for a few weeks as I contemplate a build for a 4S. Finally took one out for a test drive this week and everything was as advertised: impeccable build quality, addictive acceleration, silky smooth ride, etc. The car is a marvel to be sure, but from that admittedly short ride, I was left feeling that something was missing. Somewhat intangible, but the best I can describe it as is driver engagement. I sadly haven't owned a true manual for some time, but even on my current 7-speed DCT with paddles, the ability to tune down traction control, the road feel, etc., all add to a sense of connectivity to the car and add a level of dynamism to driving. You need to know what you're doing if you're going to push the car and that adds enormously to the fun.

Sounds funny to say, but the Taycan almost felt too plush, controlled and refined. That's all a huge credit to Porsche engineering and it is a four-door sedan at the end of the day, but the experience felt more passive and I was hoping for a bit more "emotion" from the drive. Two caveats; first, I was driving around the suburbs of Boston with a fair amount of traffic on the roads, so didn't get a real chance to open it up for an extended time or throw it around on any back roads, and second, I don't believe the car had Performance Pack options. Am hoping the small taste I got wasn't representative of the overall experience, but also cognizant that this may just be the price of going electric.

To be clear, I'm not negative on the car. Far from it. I'm actually hoping people who have spent way more time in it, and who have probably come from far more interesting cars than I'm in now (F80 M3 Competition), will tell me my first impressions were off. Is it still something you’re excited to get in and just drive after 6+ months? Or will I also need to think about a track toy in addition to really scratch that itch? Appreciate any thoughts or perspectives. Thnx.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's a world class big heavy sports sedan - with all the pros and cons that entails - you impressions are not off - but comparing virtually _ANY_ EV to a manual vehicle with more more analog vs. digital technology is going to suffer if you like the analog technology…

you're impressions are not incorrect - but they remind me of a few friends in the early days of audio CD's that swore they preferred the LP's with tube based amplifiers - now I'm willing to believe a good turn table and a pristine quality LP with a. world class tube amplifier can sound better than a consumer grade $200 CD/MP3 player - no question....but the CD/MP3 blows away 99% of the other choices that are more common and more importantly affordable, common, obtainable, and most importantly usable by the normal public.

you should not compare the Taycan to your analog vehicle that you are sooo in tune with - compare it to other plush and numb sports sedans and see which one you prefer - keep the analog manual sports cars for your weekends, but I think you'll find you drive it less and less once you make the transition to any good EV…

articles like this are ohhhh so common in the EV world as people gain confidence and experience, a good EV is better than 99% of common gasoline cars, that's not to say there aren't gas cars that are better, but virtually any EV is way way way than the typical gas cars people seem to feel they don't want to give up…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...hs-i-missed-the-taycan.3617/page-2#post-49993

my Taycan disappoints me as compared to my GT3 for track duty - but now that I've driven EV's for a number of years (since 2012) - I'm finding my GT3 disappoints me more often vs. my Taycan for normal daily duties - with the GT3 increasingly specialized for a circumstance 99% of the driving public will never experience or need…and the Taycan excelling in virtually all areas where I spend most of my driving seat time…

the Taycan's a great vehicle, excellent by sooo many standards too numerous to list here - but it's not designed or evolved to compete with the nuance of a historical gasoline car with a manual transmission and a lively suspension - nor with it ever be so - but your historical gasoline car doesn't get the equivalent of 80+ mpg nor can be powered by a hydro-electric dam, and I doubt it can easily/effortlessly provide instant torque or launch off the line and get to 60 mph or more in less than 4 seconds…and do it while hauling home booty from Costco in the trunk…

no it's not a manual transmission with a lively suspension - any more than a turntable with an analog LP and tube amplifier can be placed on your arm to listen to music while jogging…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kryptos

Kryptos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
it's a world class big heavy sports sedan - with all the pros and cons that entails - you impressions are not off - but comparing virtually _ANY_ EV to a manual vehicle with more more analog vs. digital technology is going to suffer if you like the analog technology…

you're impressions are not incorrect - but they remind me of a few friends in the early data of audio CD's that swore they preferred the LP's with tube based amplifiers - now I'm willing to believe a good turn table and a pristine quality LP with a. world class tube amplifier can sound better than a consumer grade $200 CD/MP3 player - no question....but the CD/MP3 blows away 99% of the other choices that are more common and more importantly affordable, common, obtainable, and most importantly usable by the normal public.

you should not compare the Taycan to your analog vehicle that you are sooo in tune with - compare it to other plush and numb sports sedans and see which one you prefer - keep the analog manual sports cars for your weekends, but I think you'll find you drive it less and less once you make the transition to any good EV…

articles like this are ohhhh so common in the EV world as people gain confidence and experience, a good EV is better than 99% of common gasoline cars, that's not to say there aren't gas cars that are better, but virtually any EV is way way way than the typical gas cars people seem to feel they don't want to give up…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...hs-i-missed-the-taycan.3617/page-2#post-49993
Very helpful feedback. Much appreciated.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag

you're impressions are not incorrect - but they remind me of a few friends in the early days of audio CD's that swore they preferred the LP's with tube based amplifiers - now I'm willing to believe a good turn table and a pristine quality LP with a. world class tube amplifier can sound better than a consumer grade $200 CD/MP3 player - no question....but the CD/MP3 blows away 99% of the other choices that are more common and more importantly affordable, common, obtainable, and most importantly usable by the normal public.

my Taycan disappoints me as compared to my GT3 for track duty - but now that I've driven EV's for a number of years (since 2012) - I'm finding my GT3 disappoints me more often vs. my Taycan for normal daily duties - with the GT3 increasingly specialized for a circumstance 99% of the driving public will never experience or need…and the Taycan excelling in virtually all areas where I spend most of my driving seat time…

the Taycan's a great vehicle, excellent by sooo many standards too numerous to list here - but it's not designed or evolved to compete with the nuance of a historical gasoline car with a manual transmission and a lively suspension - nor with it ever be so - but your historical gasoline car doesn't get the equivalent of 80+ mpg nor can be powered by a hydro-electric dam, and I doubt it can easily/effortlessly provide instant torque or launch off the line and get to 60 mph or more in less than 4 seconds…and do it while hauling home booty from Costco in the trunk…

no it's not a manual transmission with a lively suspension - any more than a turntable with an analog LP and tube amplifier can be placed on your arm to listen to music while jogging…
Agree with this. It does a different job, and very well too. If you’re able to then keep another car that does the other things for you too.
Sponsored