Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk?

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I keep my mobile charging gear in the rectangular pancake charging case that the PMC+ came in, and I place that in the frunk.

However, that case doesn’t really fit the frunk well, makes it awkward to utilize the remaining space.

I’m interested in finding a duffel bag or similar as my go-bag for the mobile charging gear - which would be stuffed with my PMC+, it’s pigtails, my J-1772 extension cable plus my other adapters from the @daveo4EV school of EV charging readiness.

I already own a set of the Porsche cargo bags. The small one could be an option, but has similar ‘pancake’ dimensions and is a bit too floppy for the purpose. I know there is full-on luggage that will fit the frunk but that’s overkill. I think something that is semi-ridged ballistic nylon, with a waterproof base would be ideal.

This duffel from Yeti is expensive but is along the lines of what I’m thinking.

So as I begin my research, thought I’d toss it out to the community to see if anybody has found a good solution.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I find storing all my EV charging gear in the frunk works best for me - leaving the trunk empty and ready - given infrequent use of the EV charging stuff - I like a clean/empty/ready 100% capacity trunk - and leave the EV charging gear "out of sight" - but that's just me. I also do not carry the PMCC/PMC+ - they are too big/bulky - I'm using a $200 Tesla 40 amp UMC as my mobile EVSE - lighter, smaller, comes with it's own bag, rugged, and won't overheat in normal use.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I find storing all my EV charging gear in the frunk works best for me - leaving the trunk empty and ready - given infrequent use of the EV charging stuff - I like a clean/empty/ready 100% capacity trunk - and leave the EV charging gear "out of sight" - but that's just me.
I agree @daveo4EV, this bag I’m seeking would stay in the frunk. I like my trunk empty with no permanent ‘carry’ rolling about there.

With your Tesla EVSE in its own bag, do you have your other roadwarrior kit bits and bobs loose in the frunk?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree @daveo4EV, this bag I’m seeking would stay in the frunk. I like my trunk empty with no permanent ‘carry’ rolling about there.

With your Tesla EVSE in its own bag, do you have your other roadwarrior kit bits and bobs loose in the frunk?
all the bits/bobs - are in a high quality cloth shopping bag - I'm too lazy to find anything else - and I just "fold" the bag closed & tight on the bits/bobs…and put them next to the Tesla UMC - with the TeslaTap laying on top of everything - I use the TeslaTap the most of any of my "kit"...so it's on top in the frunk for easy access.

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
@YLA G - thanks! Looks great. More tailored to fit, though maybe less structured/padded than the Yeti example I linked to. Unfortunately, while it costs €43, shipping to the USA is quoted at €225.60.

Last edited:

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Check out Patagonia Black Hole duffel bags. Variety of sizes and range from padded to lightweight packable. The mini MLC may even fit the charging equipment and leave enough space on top for other stuff.

jonbek

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
rimowa original pilot case. done.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
That’s nuts for shipping! You should mail them

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I just go with the Porsche Frunk Liner and place my EVSE into that.

Porsche Taycan Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk? IMG_0077

Porsche Taycan Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk? IMG_0078

I've no issues filling it up with stuff for road-trip's as required:

Porsche Taycan Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk? IMG_8054

OP
OP
satchurator

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Update for this thread. I decided to give the Yeti Crossroads 40L duffel a try. Did a test fit of my gear, and for the bag's fit in the Taycan frunk today. First impressions are very good. Sharing some photos below.

A list of my charging gear packed into the bag - with gratitude to the @daveo4EV School of Charging Witchcraft and Wizardry:
  • Main compartment:
    • Porsche PMC+
    • PMC+ 15A adapter cable
    • PMC+ 40A adapter cable
    • JLONG J-1772 20 feet extension cable.
  • Mesh top pocket under lid:
    • NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R adapter
    • NEMA SS2-50P to 14-50R adapter
    • TeslaTap MINI 80 AMP
The bag is very well made. Tight-mesh ballistic nylon kind of material. Padded sides. The bottom and a portion of the sides have a semi-ridged, waterproof layer - which I like for situations where you might need to set the lot down in snow/ice or a wet surface. It comes with a shoulder strap which I might be glad of - combined, this pack is quite heavy.

It fits in the Taycan frunk nicely if oriented sideways. There are side handles which makes it easier to tug it out of the frunk. I think this is an upgrade from the OEM charger rectangular pancake bag. Shall report back after I've used it 'in the field'.

Porsche Taycan Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk? 1
Porsche Taycan Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk? 2
Porsche Taycan Duffel Bags That Fit The Taycan Frunk? 3

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update for this thread. I decided to give the Yeti Crossroads 40L duffel a try. Did a test fit of my gear, and for the bag's fit in the Taycan frunk today. First impressions are very good. Sharing some photos below.

A list of my charging gear packed into the bag - with gratitude to the @daveo4EV School of Charging Witchcraft and Wizardry:
  • Main compartment:
    • Porsche PMC+
    • PMC+ 15A adapter cable
    • PMC+ 40A adapter cable
    • JLONG J-1772 20 feet extension cable.
  • Mesh top pocket under lid:
    • NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R adapter
    • NEMA SS2-50P to 14-50R adapter
    • TeslaTap MINI 80 AMP
The bag is very well made. Tight-mesh ballistic nylon kind of material. Padded sides. The bottom and a portion of the sides have a semi-ridged, waterproof layer - which I like for situations where you might need to set the lot down in snow/ice or a wet surface. It comes with a shoulder strap which I might be glad of - combined, this pack with quite heavy.

It fits in the Taycan frunk nicely if oriented sideways. There are side handles which makes it easier to tug it out of the frunk. I think this is an upgrade from the OEM charger rectangular pancake bag. Shall report back after I've used it 'in the field'.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
what an awesome EV road warrior kit! Congrats!

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I can also recommend the Peak Design Travel Duffel as an excellent bag that fits nicely into the frunk. I find I can get a full duffel plus my Peak Design Everyday Backpack 2.0 into the frunk very comfortably.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I can also recommend the Peak Design Travel Duffel as an excellent bag that fits nicely into the frunk. I find I can get a full duffel plus my Peak Design Everyday Backpack 2.0 into the frunk very comfortably.
Good suggestion – love my Everyday Backpack for carrying my laptop + camera on roadtrips.

Do you use the 35L or the 65L for the frunk?
Sponsored