Duuuude, my Taycan arrived!! Love it and have some basic questions

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The hot spot is to share the data package if you purchase it to enable non cell devices access to the internet. Redundant these days particularly if you do the same with your phone.
It's not redundant in the US, it's completely useless as it doesn't allow access to the internet. They should just disable it here so it doesn't confuse people, as nobody should ever connect to it.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay "bootstraps" a connection to a vehicle's CarPlay-wifi (distinct from a hot-spot) by learning about the Wifi network over bluetooth - so you pair your phone with bluetooth - and then once you're securely connected via Bluetooth the phone/vehicle negotiate a secure wifi connection…and then it drops the bluetooth connection - from that point forward the phone will auto-connect to the vehicles car-play-wifi-network…

the interesting bit about wireless CarPlay is it's the only time an iOS device is connected to "wifi" but still uses the cellular connection for internet data…

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is an Apple setting for using cellular if a WiFi hotspot doesn't have an internet connection. I have this setting enabled and wireless carplay works fine and my phone doesn't lose internet.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Congrats, so Plug & Charge at the EA DC fast charger worked without any hiccups?
Yeah man, it was super easy. Just plugged in and pressed Start on the Charging app and it did its thing.

I was a bit concerned that the terminal showed that I was racking up a bill but when the invoice came through, it was $0.00 so it's all good. Free fuel. Love it.

Unfortunately, Plug and Charge won't work for me so I didn't even try that. I'm one of those who made the mistake of getting the enhanced AC charging option which, due to a invalid digital certificate embedded in the hardware, makes PnC impossible. Not a huge deal but being able to simply plug in, lock up, and walk away would've been just perfect.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Yeah man, it was super easy. Just plugged in and pressed Start on the Charging app and it did its thing.

I was a bit concerned that the terminal showed that I was racking up a bill but when the invoice came through, it was $0.00 so it's all good. Free fuel. Love it.

Unfortunately, Plug and Charge won't work for me so I didn't even try that. I'm one of those who made the mistake of getting the enhanced AC charging option which, due to a invalid digital certificate embedded in the hardware, makes PnC impossible. Not a huge deal but being able to simply plug in, lock up, and walk away would've been just perfect.
Oh man that's annoying. Sorry to hear that.

So when you refer to using the app to initiate your free charging you referring to Porsche Connect app or the EA app?

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Oh man that's annoying. Sorry to hear that.

So when you refer to using the app to initiate your free charging you referring to Porsche Connect app or the EA app?
Well, my sales rep said not to even bother with the Connect app. Just too buggy. The Taycan enthusiast sites and app reviews seem to indicate the same.

From there, things get a bit dicey. The EA app itself is used by non-Porsche EV owners who want to charge at EA. It works fine. You can pay by credit card and do all the standard EV charging things.

But it's actually the Porsche Charging app that you want. It's actually named Charging:

Porsche Taycan Duuuude, my Taycan arrived!! Love it and have some basic questions IMG_1803.PNG

Charging is just a fork of the EA app that's Porsche-specific. That's the one you want for the three years of free Taycan charging. When you register, it'll run you through the process of signing up for the free charging.

Just hold off on registering until your sales rep has associated the VIN of your Taycan to your user account at Porsche. Once he's done that, you're all set!

Deleted member 1697

enjoy. your volcano !
(beware of the 10,000miles break-in period)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It's not redundant in the US, it's completely useless as it doesn't allow access to the internet. They should just disable it here so it doesn't confuse people, as nobody should ever connect to it.
Have you read the manual, I think you'll find I'm correct BUT you must have the optional data package for internet access (monthly fee - Verizon / others)?

Porsche Good To Know App and Porsche Connect manual are worth a read to clarify this and other features.

Reactions: B61

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Have you read the manual, I think you'll find I'm correct BUT you must have the optional data package for internet access (monthly fee - Verizon / others)?

Porsche Good To Know App and Porsche Connect manual are worth a read to clarify this and other features.
The US has no data packages. Which is odd as they have to have a partner for the free OTA updates, right? So why not also partner for data packages? Dumb.

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I did notice that in the online settings. Something along the lines of, "This requires an paid subscription package." At the time I was under the false impression that I was supposed to connect my iPhone to that Taycan SSID and use it as a gateway. Turns out that wasn't the case.

Good to Know is really handy! Thanks for that. There are plenty of Porsche manuals online but they're in PDF form with insanely small print - horrible for reading on a phone. The app makes things much easier.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo S was delivered a couple of days ago and I've been having a blast with it! Seriously the best car I've ever driven. Did my first free charge at Electrify America and everything worked flawlessly. Some pics, and then some questions:

IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

Private Mode

Some of the material I've read indicates that Private Mode basically shuts off the cellular radio. Is that the case, or does it just disable certain data from being transmitted to Porsche? I only ask because while exploring the system, I saw this note:

IMG_1797.jpeg

So it appears that, should I decide to use Private Mode, the built-in cell service is actually still on, correct?

What's a typical example of when I would want to use Private Mode?

Wired CarPlay & Cord Management

Wireless CarPlay kind of works but not really. Connecting to the car's wireless hotspot seems to disable internet access, which means some of the apps that depend upon it won't fully work (e.g. real-time Waze alerts, etc).

Long story short, I decided to just use wired CarPlay instead. Not a big deal but for those of you who are using wired CarPlay, what's the secret to fitting both the phone and the USBC-to-Lightning cord in the center console? That center console is really tiny. By the time I plug the cord into my phone (iPhone XSMax), it's too long to fit in there and comfortably close the console lid. I assume the center console is where the phone is supposed to live when plugged into the USB, correct? Or am I supposed to run the cord out through a special hole and rest it in the cup holder? Or is there some other USB port and storage area I'm supposed to be using instead?

Bluetooth

Why is Wireless CarPlay not available over Bluetooth? Is there something about the Bluetooth protocol that provides insufficient bandwidth for app-to-car communications? A post on this forum indicated that might be the case and furthermore, newer versions of Bluetooth allow for more bandwidth. If indeed that is the case, is a Bluetooth upgrade something that could be done OTA or is it a hardware-specific thing that we're just stuck with until the next model year(s)?

About Hotspots

This is more of a philosophical design question than a tech question. What's the rationale of having the car act as a hotspot? Pretty much everyone has a hotspot in their pocket via their phone, and unlimited data plans are cheap. Why not have the car act as a client to the user's hotspot (or the user's / dealer's WiFi network when parked at home or the shop) rather than having each car have it's own cell radio, SIM, etc.? Seems like leveraging the user's own hotspot would be a lot simpler and cost effective than having the user be forced to connect to a car-specific WiFi network infrastructure. There must be some reason Porsche designed things the way they did. Does it have to do with automatic OTA updates, perhaps?

Parting Thoughts

All in all, I'm loving this car! I swear I've beaten more yellow lights in the last two days than in the last two years. It's an absolute marvel of engineering. Next step is to get the radar detector installed and I'll be all set.
I slide the phone into the charging slot in the console and then use a lightning to usb-c converter to plug the cord into the usb outlet in the console. I got a short cord so that there would be less cord to coil up in the console.

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I slide the phone into the charging slot in the console and then use a lightning to usb-c converter to plug the cord into the usb outlet in the console. I got a short cord so that there would be less cord to coil up in the console.
Interesting. I'll try that. Hopefully no negative side effects of charging wirelessly while simultaneously plugged in.

Will look for a shorter cord too.
Sponsored