BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S, 1964 Porsche 356, 1973 Porsche
Country flag
I'm about to place an order for a Taycan 4S (which I will probably get sometime in 2022). I would appreciate some advice on the E-mobility options. Specifically:

1. Do I need a "power charge-port cover" what's the alternative? No cover? A manually operated cover?

2. Is there much value to the "Mobile Charger Connect"? I'm inclined to skip it.

3. Is there any value in the "Intelligent Range Manager"? I'm inclined to skip it.

4. Can these options be changed after delivery of the vehicle (for a fee of course)?

The only option I currently have checked is the 150kW DC charger. There are 150kW charging stations along roads I will be driving and I'd like to use them.

----Bill
Sponsored

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
I'm about to place an order for a Taycan 4S (which I will probably get sometime in 2022). I would appreciate some advice on the E-mobility options. Specifically:

1. Do I need a "power charge-port cover" what's the alternative? No cover? A manually operated cover?

2. Is there much value to the "Mobile Charger Connect"? I'm inclined to skip it.

3. Is there any value in the "Intelligent Range Manager"? I'm inclined to skip it.

4. Can these options be changed after delivery of the vehicle (for a fee of course)?

The only option I currently have checked is the 150kW DC charger. There are 150kW charging stations along roads I will be driving and I'd like to use them.

----Bill
1) Alternative is a manual pop open cover. No you don't need the power one, yes its cool.
2) No, skip it.
3) No, skip it.
4) I think Intelligent range can be added after... but I've really only heard bad things.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
Ive had my cross turismo for 2 weeks

1. I probably wish I had spec’d it. It’s gimmicky but probably a worthwhile option. I feel like the door is plastic and eventually will break or something.
2. I hate mine.nits $1200 I have no idea what it does. It’s heavy and while I thought I needed a cord this long, I really don’t.
3. Nope.
4. You can’t change 1.

----Bill

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Manual
No. Car already comes with 9.6kW EVSE. And there are better, less expensive 3rd party options than PMCC.

Don’t know. Won’t comment.
PMCC, yes but you shouldn’t. I would guess no on power charge port covers. I would guess yes on PIRM. Both guesses though.
Are they 400V? You can charge higher on 800V included. This option is just for 400V.

Cue @daveo4EV

Last edited:
OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S, 1964 Porsche 356, 1973 Porsche
Country flag
Manual

No. Car already comes with 9.6kW EVSE. And there are better, less expensive 3rd party options than PMCC.

Don’t know. Won’t comment.

PMCC, yes but you shouldn’t. I would guess no on power charge port covers. I would guess yes on PIRM. Both guesses though.

Are they 400V? You can charge higher on 800V included. This option is just for 400V.

Cue @daveo4EV
It's hard to tell if the Electrify America chargers along I-80 between Reno and Sacramento are 400V or 800V. All that is listed on the map is the power (both 150kW and 350kW). Does anyone know how to find the voltage?

Porsche Taycan E-Mobility Options Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 7.12.56 PM

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
It's hard to tell if the Electrify America chargers along I-80 between Reno and Sacramento are 400V or 800V. All that is listed on the map is the power (both 150kW and 350kW). Does anyone know how to find the voltage?
My understanding is all EA chargers are 800V.

But I don’t do any public charging, so I’m a poor source.

@daveo4EV usually answers these questions.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

----Bill
My two bits --

1. I love the "Power Charge-Port Cover" and would get it. Way cool and very solid. Plus it's fun and for me "fun" is always a good reason :)
  2. I leased my Taycan (both 2020 and 2021) and installed the PMCC in my garage. I think it looks great and does what it is supposed to do, plus the incremental lease cost was negligible. To address travel-related charging (when you can't find a High Speed DC charger) I'd get a lower cost EVSE for Level 2 charging from either Tesla or Clipper Creek. There are a number of good threads in this forum on charging so start by reading those. (SideBar -- If you are planning on getting two or more electric cars then read this thread since it will help.)
  3. I didn't get the IRM since I like to control the charging and speed myself.
  4. The only option you can add later is #2.

Good news - You'll love the car no matter what options you pick!

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
I have used both and would NOT spec this. Cool? Yes. Annoying to open? YES!! The normal manual covers are much easier in daily use. Standing in the rain whilst sliding your finger across the touchy thing with nothing opening will annoy very quickly.

75Chainslipr

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Macan, Taycan 4S
Country flag

Be sure to take a look at the power charge-port cover "fins" that will protrude from your vehicle. Some persons do not select the option because they do not like how the fins interferes with the clean exterior lines of the Taycan.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
1. My experience from reading on here (only)......

Electric port covers are cool, but have their issues.
Some malfunction issues on here and you also lose the air curtain / vent in the front wing when they are installed lesding to slightly less efficiency / range (I think 3% difference has been mentioned?).

Also decide whether you want the 'clean minimalist look' or not.

I was really undecided on my spec, but in the end opted for manual and spent the money on other options.

I will be mostly home charging (untethered) and have to go to the front of the car and mess about to plug the lead in and out anyway, so opening the port door is no biggie.
Thought process - if you had an electric fuel filler cover on a petrol car would you spec it?

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 7.12.56 PM.png
There are almost no 400v chargers in North America. The only instance where this option might be useful is if Tesla opens their network up to Porsche, but there is no guarantee that the necessary adapter would allow speeds up to 150kW. Basically, this option is a gamble on the future. Or it could be money down the drain.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
1. My experience from reading on here (only)......

Electric port covers are cool, but have their issues.
Some malfunction issues on here and you also lose the air curtain / vent in the front wing when they are installed lesding to slightly less efficiency / range (I think 3% difference has been mentioned?).

Also decide whether you want the 'clean minimalist look' or not.

I was really undecided on my spec, but in the end opted for manual and spent the money on other options.

I will be mostly home charging (untethered) and have to go to the front of the car and mess about to plug the lead in and out anyway, so opening the port door is no biggie.
Thought process - if you had an electric fuel filler cover on a petrol car would you spec it?
I would absolutely have an electric cover on a petrol car if it was available. I really like the feature and haven’t had any issues with mine. I find it very convenient as it closes automatically. I also like the fin and the touch it adds. This is really a personal preference though and understand those that like the clean look.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I wish I had the electric charge port cover.

Reasons:

1. I hate it when I unplug, get in the car, and realize I forgot to close the damn port!
2. I hate getting fingerprints on it when it's clean.
Sponsored