n2diving

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So I'm driving home in my 2022 Taycan 4s, it has about 3500 miles on it, and this appears on the console... close to home so continued driving, and a couple of days later then drove it to the dealership.

Porsche Taycan e-motor gear selector 1661879274737

No one at Porsche NA HQ seemed to know what it ment, "take it to your dealer". Dealer says they don't know what it means either. Me:"Is my car drivable?", A:"We don't know, but we wouldn't recommend it.", Me:"What would the 'adjustment' be?" A:"We don't know, never seen that message."

Service writer suggests "We've seen a lot of weird stuff resolved with a firmware update, and there is a big new one recently available, I suggest we do that and see if that fixes it." Me: "Ok, how long does that take?" A:"7 to 10 hours, if it takes the first time. But we are backed up, so can't get to it for a week if you don't want a loaner." Me: "Ok, I have an 15 year old beater Toyota for hauling gear to and from dive boats." Leave the car with the dealership.

Two weeks later I call and ask WFT, I'm informed the firmware update is done, doesn't fix the problem. Issue is now identified as an issue with something the service writer calls an "e-motor gear selector". Apparently a small mechanical device with a little electrical motor itself, the service writer does not know any more than that. The dealer doesn't have one, and apparently neither does Porsche - at least not close. Bottom line, it's "On order" but there is "No ETA at this time."

Going on third week without my Taycan. Does the collective wisdom found in this forum know what this item is and what it does. Is there reason to believe the service writer at the dealer is being honest in what he has told me?

Should I escalate to Porsche itself, if so any suggestions on how to proceed?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Won't hurt to escalate it. Tell the you want the part on a plane not a ship!

Probably won't achieve anything either though!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Does the collective wisdom found in this forum know what this item is and what it does.
Is it the actuator for the clutches? That would be my guess, but it’s just a guess.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
This is why I always insist on a loaner if I can, even if I have to wait longer. It gives the dealer some skin in the game.

OP
OP
n2diving

n2diving

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update... the mysterious part arrived yesterday; it was backordered and had to ship from Germany. Now on schedule to be replaced next week.

I requested a loaner when this started in mid August, I was told I could make an appointment to bring the car back in late September... "all our loaners are out or committed to other customers until late September." I have a 15 year old Toyota Rav4 "beater" (looks rough but runs well and very reliable) that I normally use as a "dive vehicle" for to and from the dive boats with dripping wet scuba gear... so I've been driving the Rav4 - quite an adjustment, from a dead stop push on the Rav4 accelerator and nothing happens for a long while...

Starting to look like close to a full month to repair my Taycan.

OP
OP
n2diving

n2diving

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The final outcome was that the Servo Motor for Clutches, Top Position Sensor for Multi-Plate Clutch, and Lower Position Sensor for Dog Clutch were R&R. The only significant part replaced under warranty was OME-325-834-H gear selector (plus a screw and two o-rings.)

I have suspicion, after talking to 3rd party technician, that all that was actually wrong was one or the other of the sensors needed a position adjustment. Dealer had the car for exactly one calendar month, approximately half of which was "waiting on parts".
Sponsored