EA (Electrify America) Sucks - that is all

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Where? In US, there was always the option of a printed vaccination card - and in fact that was the primary 'certificate'.
most people didn't carry the actual vaxx card, they took a pic of it and stored it on their phones. that was enough to satisfy the vaxx police
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I can also solve this problem with nothing more than texting (so not even a full smart phone)
  1. register your phone number with a charging provider and payment method (this is a one time setup thing)
  2. when at charger have unique number on each charger stall - example 56FGRTR78
  3. text charger number (example 56FGRTR78) to fixed "service number" for charging vendor 888-555-1212
  4. once the text message is received stall will be unlocked/activated for charging session
  5. billing info and charging fees texted back to phone to confirm stall activation and you plug in and charging begins - if you don't like the billing rates simple reply "stop" and your session is canceled
    1. no "smart" phone required, just simple texting
  6. bill is based on the pre-registered phone number the text message was sent from.
  7. this scenario ignores the way I activate MOST of my EA sessions - which is waiting on hold for a customer support representative because the Point-of-Sale card reader (you know the one california is requiring) isn't working/broken/non-functional.
    1. and neither is my smart phone cause the EA app SUCKS!!!
so again I simply don't buy it.

easy peasy - no smart phone required - just a cell phone.
I was with you until the above suggested solution. I would almost use the above as an example, why government officials with good intentions have no business designing a payment system. A MAJOR problem with your solution is how easily one can spoof SMS messages from phones - there is no real authentication for sending SMS messages as this is a very old system. If you setup your phone number as you described for payment, anyone with your number and a laptop (or a smartphone actually) can charge on your account by pretending to text from your phone. You could try to bandaid it with two way texting challenge passwords, which would make it harder to hack, more annoying to use (extra steps), but also not fullproof (depending on a cell network, the level of difficulty in rerouting sms messages varies) - there is a reason why most US banks will not let you use SMS as 2 factor authentication when traveling abroad (but a banking app is ok).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Where? In US, there was always the option of a printed vaccination card - and in fact that was the primary 'certificate'.

But see my other response - CC means 'anonymous': the transaction is between the card issuer and the service provider. Phone means an identity known directly to (or even issued by) the service provider. This is why Tesla can get away without CC, because non-Teslas were not envisioned as customers. (Incidentally, this is also where EA's troubles lie; it's a 3-way authentication over unreliable connections and very complex 'clients'.)
Yea, that primary printed certificate did my daughter little good when she was flying to Canada during Covid. They couldn't correlated it to online vax records. Using the phone proof of vaccination worked. While in Canada, apparently the smart phone vax records were required, as they forced my mother to get her first ever smartphone. COVID tracing in the USA was only available on Android and iOS, from the get-go.

CC are not anonymous to the vendor. One reason is that it's on the vendor to assess the trustworthiness of the payee, and if they get it wrong and it turns out to be fraud, the vendor gets a chargeback (does not get the money). Some places only take credit card and expiration, others ask for the 3 digit code on the back, others for zip code, or even full address, phone number, etc. Some will only ship to the address that matches the credit card too, to reduce fraud. There are some rules governing data retention, such as that you should never store the 3 digit number of the back of the card, but vendors absolutely know the name of the customer, and in most scenarios more than just a name.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
most people didn't carry the actual vaxx card, they took a pic of it and stored it on their phones. that was enough to satisfy the vaxx police
The primary certificate means that’s what was issued after vaccination. The app/e-wallet entry came after. You can’t take a picture of something you don’t have. The point we were arguing here is/was whether one can assume the entire population using a charger would have a phone. That’s not as clear to me as it is to some of you, and anecdotal evidence doesn’t count.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
On my vacation this week I had 1 massive EA fail and 4 other great EA experiences. Not terrible but still a long way from where the charging infrastructure needs to be. It’s been said multiple times in this thread already but we just need MORE chargers. Most of them seem to work well most of the time. If we had more charging stations the failures could mostly be a non-event.

A quick word about a non-EA station… this morning I tried to use a highly rated FPL Evolution station near Sunny Isles Beach. The stupid thing would not communicate with the Audi e-tron SUV at all. Also, there is no tech support available on weekends for FPL. I wasted about 30 minutes trying to get it to work. One other person showed up and connected just fine(in a Kia). I have no idea why none of the 4 charge points would talk to the Audi.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Yep. I stuffed mine in the center console of my Taycan, where it has remained ever since. A smartphone is pretty mandatory for many things these days. I know a few dumb phone holdouts but they're old luddites. They're least likely cohort to buy an EV.

FWIW my EA experience with plug & charge has been 100% seamless and flawless since the big spring update. Prior to that, my 22kW AC and plug&charge were both nerfed.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The primary certificate means that’s what was issued after vaccination. The app/e-wallet entry came after. You can’t take a picture of something you don’t have. The point we were arguing here is/was whether one can assume the entire population using a charger would have a phone. That’s not as clear to me as it is to some of you, and anecdotal evidence doesn’t count.
whatever
Sponsored