EA (Electrify America) Sucks - that is all

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Until Kyle gets involved in EV policy and coordinating his findings with people who can actually do something to improve the CCS charging infrastructure, all he will be is a late 20's guy making videos about cars and eating fast food.
Who knows?
Maybe some of the million views of Kyle's videos about US DC fast charging problems last week, and months earlier, were by the managements of EA, VW, and other EV car manufacturers who provide their EV buyers "free" charging, and who may be prompted or able to do something.

Porsche Taycan EA (Electrify America) Sucks - that is all 1672427580715

Porsche Taycan EA (Electrify America) Sucks - that is all 1672427615379

Porsche Taycan EA (Electrify America) Sucks - that is all 1672427716942

Genyosai

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron GT Prestige
Country flag
Before what?
Before we complain and try to find ways to turn up the pressure on EA and other CCS operators.

@thecoloradokid, for example, suggests that sure, it could be better, but to stop complaining unfoundedly and deal with it until it gets better.

Again, it's been 4+ years. So, how long do we deal with it before we can complain?

Genyosai

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron GT Prestige
Country flag
Who knows?
Maybe some of the million views of Kyle's videos about US DC fast charging problems last week, and months earlier, were by the managements of EA, VW, and other EV car manufacturers who provide their EV buyers "free" charging, and who may be prompted or able to do something.

1672427580715.png

1672427615379.png

1672427716942.png
His last few vids have definitely gotten the ears of CCS operators AND OEMs.

Some are following his new @rateyourcharge Twitter account as well.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Before we complain and try to find ways to turn up the pressure on EA and other CCS operators.

@thecoloradokid, for example, suggests that sure, it could be better, but to stop complaining unfoundedly and deal with it until it gets better.

Again, it's been 4+ years. So, how long do we deal with it before we can complain?
:CWL: Complain? Give EA a call and report back to the forum how it goes.

Also, you’re aware that for two of those four years there’s been a global pandemic, worldwide supply chain upheaval, massive semiconductor shortages, etc., all of which have a big impact on the manufacture, deployment, and support of electronic devices, right?

But you deserve it now!…

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
Pretty much everyone sees their range go up over the first few weeks as the car “calibrates” itself to the actual consumption.

I see 285-300 miles in the summer and 220-230 miles in the winter.
4S on 20” all-seasons.

It’s my wife’s DD, but I probably put more than half the miles on it. She always drives in normal and I (almost) always drive in sport, usually launching stoplight to stoplight along 141. 🙂
Where do you have your charge limit set? 85% or something else?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Where do you have your charge limit set? 85% or something else?
85% normally, but I set a timer for 100% when needed. The numbers I quoted were at 100%.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Well after a month of trying at local EA stations, and repeatedly failing to get both plug & charge and initiating via myPorsche app to work with my '23 Taycan, there has been a breakthrough! A Christmas miracle! lol.

I visited the same EA stations where I had previous failures at 2 different locations over the past couple of days, and plug and charge now works as intended.

Now I need something else to complain about... like how come there are no 350kW Hyperfast EA charging within 45 miles of the major city that I live in? Closest one is at a Walmart in a remote suburb 🤷‍♂️

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
85% normally, but I set a timer for 100% when needed. The numbers I quoted were at 100%.
Thanks, always good info from you. How concerned are you about charging to 100%? My Tycan will live in STL for about 5 months/year. Likely not adding 5,000 miles/year. Think I could charge to 100% without significant degradation? Thanks.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Thanks, always good info from you. How concerned are you about charging to 100%? My Tycan will live in STL for about 5 months/year. Likely not adding 5,000 miles/year. Think I could charge to 100% without significant degradation? Thanks.
The general consensus is that charging to 100% is okay. The issue is leaving it sit at 100% for a long period of time. So, only charge it to 100% if you’re going to be driving it soon after.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Took my first road trip in the car this week, from Monterey to SoCal. Made four EA stops on the way down, including the recharge at my destination. All but one of the stops had all chargers operational, with only one, Paso Robles, having one out of service.

Charge rates ranged from 81 to 134, though one location throttled down to 40 for a while when other cars showed up. I got a message on the PCM that said charge rate reduced due to infrastructure load balancing, or something like that.

Plug and Charge worked perfectly at all locations, and I never had to wait for a charger. Also had good conversations with owners of an Id4, Ionic, and EQS SUV. The EQS SUV is wayyyy better looking that the sedan

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
Have you tried the app? I had the same experience. my app is still not working.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
you should read the threads where this has been covered ad nauseam, the short answer is to charge to 100% when that extra range is needed and to not allow the car to remain at 100% for extended periods of time. the same holds true for allowing the car to sit at a low SOC of under 20%

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
EA blows. They seem to have retarded their network. On an east coast trip and every unit is slow. The 350s are slower than the 150s when they actually work. Average speed on the 150s is about 50+ kw. What is going on with them?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Yesterday I used an EA charging station for the first time in a long while. It was near Waco TX where all stations were the updated 350 versions. All appeared to be functional based on looking at their screens. There was a Lucid charging and one other vehicle departed as I was pulling in. Plug and charge worked great and the charging rate started around 168kW (35% battery at start) and slowly tapered down from there (unplugged at 85%). Total time was 20 minutes. Another good EA experience for me.
Sponsored