EA PASS, PASS+ vs Porsche-EA Plug-and-Charge

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Searching is not providing quick answer so posting here - apologies if a repeat!

Newbie in respect road trip DC charging - did my first DC charge yesterday in the Houston Heights and Plug and Charge (P&C) worked like a charm but have some questions re EA membership vs the Porsche-EA P&P program that comes with the car.

1) Does the Porsche-EA P&C program (renewed each of 3 years) ALWAYS take priority when you plug in to an EA DC charger?
I ask as there appear to be chargers on their web site/app that are labelled as only available to PASS and/or PASS+ EA Members, many of which are the higher end 350kW chargers.
This leads to:

2) Can I in fact as a Porsche P&C customer use any EA charger at any location regardless of being a PASS or PASS+ member?
In turn back to #1 above:

3) If I enroll as an EA PASS or PASS+ member, does that status in my app on arrival at a station override my Porsche-EA P&C contract ....... OR does being an EA Member (vs guest) open up more chargers to me (back to#2 above) that I can now use P&C on (assuming P&C gets priority)?

I obviously have yet to test these variables but was hoping to leap frog that learning curve with knowledge from experienced US roadies out there :)

I'm guessing that to ensure Porshce P&C contract priority I need to use the Porsche Charging app every time but as above, does this give access to all EA chargers all the time?

Cheers, C.
Sponsored

Last edited:

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Searching is not providing quick answer so posting here - apologies if a repeat!

Newbie in respect road trip DC charging - did my first DC charge yesterday in the Houston Heights and Plug and Charge (P&P) worked like a charm but have some questions re EA membership vs the Porsche-EA P&P program that comes with the car.

1) Does the Porsche-EA P&P program (renewed each of 3 years) ALWAYS take priority when you plug in to an EA DC charger?
I ask as there appear to be chargers on their web site/app that are labelled as only available to PASS and/or PASS+ EA Members, many of which are the higher end 350kW chargers.
This leads to:

2) Can I in fact as a Porsche P&P Charge customer use any EA charger at any location regardless of being a PASS or PASS+ member?
In turn back to #1 above:

3) If I enroll as an EA PASS or PASS+ member, does that status in my app on arrival at a station override my Porsche-EA P&P contract ....... OR does being an EA Member (vs guest) open up more chargers to me (back to#2 above) that I can now use P&P on (assuming P&P gets priority)?

I obviously have yet to test these variables but was hoping to leap frog that learning curve with knowledge from experienced US roadies out there :)

I'm guessing that to ensure Porshce P&P contract priority I need to use the Porsche Charging app every time but as above, does this give access to all EA chargers all the time?

Cheers, C.
I may be wrong but my understanding is that plug and charge does not work with your EA native account at this time. Only with the Porsche charging service. So you should get the 30 minutes free as a plug and charge and discounted rate thereafter billed directly through the Porsche charging service. If plug and charge fails to activate for some reason you need to either (1) use the Porsche NA app (or Porsche Connect app) to activate the EA charger, (2) call customer support number if activating through the Porsche NA (or Porsche Connect) app doesn’t work or (3) move to a different charger and try again if (1) and (2) fail. Do not use the EA app at all to activate the charger or you will be billed full freight by EA depending on your pass status under the account you have with EA directly.

Edit: To be more responsive to your question, in my experience I’ve had access to every EA charger unless it was just down for everybody. For me either (1) it works by activating through a Porsche app, (2) it works by calling to get it activated if I cannot through the app or (3) the station was quasi broken by being in free mode and the charge just started by me plugging in and doing nothing (I have a MY20 so don’t have plug and charge but have been lucky several times where it just starts charging after plugging in).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I may be wrong but my understanding is that plug and charge does not work with your EA native account at this time. Only with the Porsche charging service. So you should get the 30 minutes free as a plug and charge and discounted rate thereafter billed directly through the Porsche charging service. If plug and charge fails to activate for some reason you need to either (1) use the Porsche NA app (or Porsche Connect app) to activate the EA charger, (2) call customer support number if activating through the Porsche NA (or Porsche Connect) app doesn’t work or (3) move to a different charger and try again if (1) and (2) fail. Do not use the EA app at all to activate the charger or you will be billed full freight by EA depending on your pass status under the account you have with EA directly.

Edit: To be more responsive to your question, in my experience I’ve had access to every EA charger. For me either (1) it works by activating through a Porsche app, (2) it works by calling to get it activated if I cannot through the app or (3) the station was quasi broken by being in free mode and the charge just started by me plugging in and doing nothing (I have a MY20 so don’t have plug and charge but have been lucky several times where it just starts charging after plugging in).
Thx - perfect - affirms what I suspected to date.

Did my second DC charge this AM at a 150kW charger here in TX (Sugarland) and 100% perfect P&C experience. Got to max 94kW rate - essentially added 90 miles 'range' in 14 minutes, not too shabby :).

PS: May be missing but saw no way to stop the charge via the NA Charging app - not too surprising - suspect may only be an option in an EA app? Again, NBD.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Thx - perfect - affirms what I suspected to date.

Did my second DC charge this AM at a 150kW charger here in TX (Sugarland) and 100% perfect P&C experience. Got to max 94kW rate - essentially added 90 miles 'range' in 14 minutes, not too shabby :).

PS: May be missing but saw no way to stop the charge via the NA Charging app - not too surprising - suspect may only be an option in an EA app? Again, NBD.
I am glad the P&C is working for you. That mirrors my experience to date. I just stop the charge by pressing the flashing green-ringed button by the charger plug on the car. Works like a charm.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am glad the P&C is working for you. That mirrors my experience to date. I just stop the charge by pressing the flashing green-ringed button by the charger plug on the car. Works like a charm.
Yep, fingers crossed we seem to have two fully functioning CT's :) I just used the Stop in the charger display and same result. Itching for a long trip but will have to be after I get the fender plastic painted next week!

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I tried 1 P&C charging session and it work as expected also, but mine never showed up in my Porsche Charging app as a session. Did yours by chance?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tried 1 P&C charging session and it work as expected also, but mine never showed up in my Porsche Charging app as a session. Did yours by chance?
Yes it did - but possibly you missed it (?), as it at first appears as a rel. small 'icon' on the map view (w/green txt on black bkgnd only there when charging) in the Charging app - you tap that and it expands to a full view of you car plugged in with real time charging stats.

Interestingly though, not quite real time, as the app stats always lagged the actually charger by a few % SoC - but I guess rather that than the opposite!

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
does it show up in the charging history in the charging app?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
does it show up in the charging history in the charging app?
Apologies slow response - caught up elsewhere. Yes it does show up in the Charging NA app in it's (left menu) charging history section.

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Odd mine did/does not even though plug and charge worked flawlessly. The screen on the charger did show how much it was going to cost, but I never got charged.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Odd mine did/does not even though plug and charge worked flawlessly. The screen on the charger did show how much it was going to cost, but I never got charged.
Odd indeed - here is what mine shows (ignore the first test - was literally a rapid plug and go just to see if P&C actually worked and it did). The second charge is the one this AM:

One thing I need to check more carefully on my next charge is the time charging as I am near 100% certain I did max ca. 18 mins poss. only 15, yet it reported 23 mins - odd.

Porsche Taycan EA PASS, PASS+ vs Porsche-EA Plug-and-Charge IMG_4785.PNG

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

BTW - here is a pic of the charging status panel accessed from the active charging icon on the home page of the NA Charging app for ref in case you have not seen it as yet:

Porsche Taycan EA PASS, PASS+ vs Porsche-EA Plug-and-Charge IMG_4786.PNG

yman182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am going to have to try it again. I didn't get either of those.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I suspect your experience was not actually a P&C session but instead was an occurrence where the EA charger was in what some of us call “free mode”. This has happened to me on several occasions (and at one EA charger in particular it has happened every time I’ve been there). I’m not sure why it happens and I’m not sure if EA is doing it deliberately or not (and I’m not complaining!) but there are times where I plug in first and then as I’m opening the Porsche Charging app to get ready to initialize the charge the charger just starts a free session before I can do so on the app. This is not P&C (as I have a MY2020 TTS that does not have that ability). These “free mode” sessions do not show up in your charging history on the charging app, as the app has no idea you are even charging (but the regular Porsche Connect app of course does and reports the charge rate during the active charge). I’m assuming (but can’t be certain) that it is giving free sessions to other non-Taycans as well when it is in this mode (unless there’s a way for the EA charger to recognize a MY2020 Taycan).

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am going to have to try it again. I didn't get either of those.
One more - possibly a bit redundant :), but I did not take a pic at the time of the icon I was referencing that appears here on the main display of the NA Charging app - clicking this brings you to that charging status page (assuming you are in a P&C session of course).

Porsche Taycan EA PASS, PASS+ vs Porsche-EA Plug-and-Charge Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 3.08.42 PM
Sponsored