Easy way to reach Range Mode without Sports Chrono package

sakkaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S & BMW 530e
Country flag
Hello all,

I can't seem to find an easy way to set car's drive mode to Range Mode on my Taycan 4S. I understand that people with Sports Chrono package can just rotate that dial to go to Range Mode the moment you turn the car on, but for me I have to flick through the car's screen to switch to Range Mode and I just think there's gotta be a better way to do this. There is a Sport button on the lower screen by the Volume and Power "button", and I tried holding that button thinking maybe car would put itself into Range Mode if I long hold Sport "button" there, but that wasn't the case. Even having an option to program the "short cut" button to flick through drive mode would be super nice, but that is not one of the available functions in the car.

So Taycan owners who don't have Sports Chrono package like me, how do you set your car to Range Mode without having to go through cars menu?

Thanks in advanced!
Cheers.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello all,

I can't seem to find an easy way to set car's drive mode to Range Mode on my Taycan 4S. I understand that people with Sports Chrono package can just rotate that dial to go to Range Mode the moment you turn the car on, but for me I have to flick through the car's screen to switch to Range Mode and I just think there's gotta be a better way to do this. There is a Sport button on the lower screen by the Volume and Power "button", and I tried holding that button thinking maybe car would put itself into Range Mode if I long hold Sport "button" there, but that wasn't the case. Even having an option to program the "short cut" button to flick through drive mode would be super nice, but that is not one of the available functions in the car.

So Taycan owners who don't have Sports Chrono package like me, how do you set your car to Range Mode without having to go through cars menu?

Thanks in advanced!
Cheers.
There is a simple way to do this just create your own "My Screen" on the PCM where you can add up to 3 widgets one of which can be Drive Mode. When set then you can access in two taps one to select "My Screen" and then one to change Drive Mode (default is Normal).

More details in the Porsche Good To Know App.

OP
OP

sakkaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S & BMW 530e
Country flag
There is a simple way to do this just create your own "My Screen" on the PCM where you can add up to 3 widgets one of which can be Drive Mode. When set then you can access in two taps one to select "My Screen" and then one to change Drive Mode (default is Normal).

More details in the Porsche Good To Know App.
I gotta try that on my way back from work. I still think it's ridiculous that Range Mode isn't a button away from anywhere (without Sport Chrono package). :/

Thanks for the advice! :)

Cheers.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
To my mind the main/only reason for the sport chrono package is the mode switching dial on the steering wheel. If I could have that without the stopwatch, I would. I doubt whether sport plus will be different to sport on a 4S but being able to easily switch drive modes is (to my mind) a key function. So I have reluctantly ordered it

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Porsche Taycan Easy way to reach Range Mode without Sports Chrono package 2021-10-27_11.25.09

Goto home (top left) and press it, you'll get to the second customizable screen.
Then press the "three dots menu".
Porsche Taycan Easy way to reach Range Mode without Sports Chrono package 2021-10-27_11.25.36

Goto Configure my screen.
Porsche Taycan Easy way to reach Range Mode without Sports Chrono package 2021-10-27_11.26.08

Select Drive mode.

You can even customize more out of the drive mode menu as there are two options in the slider (ride height and suspension).

Annoyingly, it'll start in the standard home menu so you'll have to press the second screen every time you get into the car.
Anyway, you'll get used to it, like many other things not being stored the way you left them...

Last edited:

OP
OP

sakkaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S & BMW 530e
Country flag
To my mind the main/only reason for the sport chrono package is the mode switching dial on the steering wheel. If I could have that without the stopwatch, I would. I doubt whether sport plus will be different to sport on a 4S but being able to easily switch drive modes is (to my mind) a key function. So I have reluctantly ordered it
Yeah.. that's crazy. Oh Porsche Porsche..

2021-10-27_11.25.09.jpg

Goto home (top left) and press it, you'll get to the second customizable screen.
Then press the "three dots menu".
2021-10-27_11.25.36.jpg

Goto Configure my screen.
2021-10-27_11.26.08.jpg

Select Drive mode.

You can even customize more out of the drive mode menu as there are two options in the slider (ride height and suspension).

Annoyingly, it'll start in the standard home menu so you'll have to press the second screen every time you get into the car.
Anyway, you'll get used to it, like many other things not being stored the way you left them...
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing.

Thanks all for the advice.

Cheers.

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
There is also the nice updated sport steering wheel. The stopwatch is indeed completely useless, I took the compass on my CT.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Yes, the thicker wheel is MUCH appreciated.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the standard vs GT steering wheel? I am quite tall and have big hands. So I am thinking adding sport chrono just for the steering wheel. Mode switch on the steering wheel and sport plus I can live without.

For OP: is it possible to program one of the 2 preference buttons for range mode? Or do you have a more practical function for them?

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Can anyone comment on the standard vs GT steering wheel? I am quite tall and have big hands. So I am thinking off adding sport chrono just for the steering wheel. Mode switch on the steering wheel and sport plus I can live without.
Standard is too thin. Thicker GT is good but I'm going to contact Exclusive Option and order a wheel with deviated stitching. They offer a GT wheel with extra thickness.

OP
OP

sakkaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S & BMW 530e
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the standard vs GT steering wheel? I am quite tall and have big hands. So I am thinking adding sport chrono just for the steering wheel. Mode switch on the steering wheel and sport plus I can live without.

For OP: is it possible to program one of the 2 preference buttons for range mode? Or do you have a more practical function for them?
It is not possible to program Range Mode for those two programmable button. I would love that feature if Porsche ever feel like adding it.

Of those two buttons, I have one on the steering wheel to "Next Track" for the audio (Porsche at least used to have audio track buttons on the center console but how they do not.. so it's kind of necessary in my eyes) and for the one next to air suspension control button, I honestly think "Range Mode" would be the perfect fit and location for it, but since it's not possible, I have it set to "Change Audio Source".

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
It is not possible to program Range Mode for those two programmable button. I would love that feature if Porsche ever feel like adding it.

Of those two buttons, I have one on the steering wheel to "Next Track" for the audio (Porsche at least used to have audio track buttons on the center console but how they do not.. so it's kind of necessary in my eyes) and for the one next to air suspension control button, I honestly think "Range Mode" would be the perfect fit and location for it, but since it's not possible, I have it set to "Change Audio Source".
Call me a cynic, but if they did that, you wouldn’t need to spend £700 on the sport chrono

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
Maybe there is a possibility to program the range mode on the steering wheel - on the freely assignable button..

OP
OP

sakkaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S & BMW 530e
Country flag
Call me a cynic, but if they did that, you wouldn’t need to spend £700 on the sport chrono
Many people around me think that stopwatch on the dashboard is a must have look for a Porsche. While I don't see it that way, but those who do will get Sport Chrono Package with or without the said feature above. Maybe I live in the more shallower area but that's how I feel about it.

Plus, I even doubt buyers would know about this ahead of time, the fact that I am figuring this out months after the purchase, I think it's kind of a moot point. :p

Maybe there is a possibility to program the range mode on the steering wheel - on the freely assignable button..
It isn't. We talked about it above. :(

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Hello all,

I can't seem to find an easy way to set car's drive mode
I understand what you mean. Ideally you should be able to just keep pushing drive to cycle through all drive modes, but I rarely use range so I done necessarily mind going through the menu to engage it.
Sponsored