andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Has anyone seen a table or document describing the effeciency ratings of the wheels options? I’ve been sticking to the 20” wheels where the description specifically lists they are designed to be aerodynamic. I take a lot of road trips so range is important to me. I frequently push the limits, arriving at DC chargers with single-digit miles remaining. However, the 20” turismo off-road design wheels have caught my eye, so now I’m trying to determine what the real world penalty is. So far I haven’t found any tech specs in this regard.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have not seen a table or docuemnt - but I think it breaks down as follows:

Mission-E style wheels are the “least” efficient
all the others…being equal given a range of reasonable but small statistical variation

what I do know - is you can lose or gain more range by adding/removing 2 or 3 mph over the course of a charging cycle (85% to 5%) vs. the wheel’s contribution - i.e. you can compensate for a low efficiency wheel by shaving 3 or 4 mph off your speed if you’re trying to go for range…

smaller diameter wheels are more efficient than larger
more closed wheels are more efficient

the Model 3 wheels show a difference of 5-7% overall impact on range with and without the aero-dynamic covers…

OP
OP
andrewket

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

all the others…being equal given a range of reasonable but small statistical variation

what I do know - is you can lose or gain more range by adding/removing 2 or 3 mph over the course of a charging cycle (85% to 5%) vs. the wheel’s contribution - i.e. you can compensate for a low efficiency wheel by shaving 3 or 4 mph off your speed if you’re trying to go for range…

the Model 3 wheels show a difference of 5-7% overall impact on range with and without the aero-dynamic covers…
Your thoughts mirror mine and my experience. The 19’s on the Taycan just don’t look right, and the PSCB brakes require the 20’s, so that’s where I landed on that. I bet the 21” mission-e wheels with all season tires eat 15%.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

All true, but not forget to pump the tires up. I went from 2.6 to 3.0 bars, really helps.

Porsche Taycan Efficiency rating of wheel options 20210311_123401

Porsche Taycan Efficiency rating of wheel options 20210311_123407

Rcrewse7

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2013 G550, 2016 Metris
Country flag
Porsche UK site has a handy range calculator which accounts for city/country road/highway, temperature, battery size, AC settings, and wheels. Surprisingly, the 20” Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels yield the best range of all wheels, even the 19” ones. Wasn’t aware of that when I ordered my 4S, but nice to know after the fact.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/

OP
OP
andrewket

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche UK site has a handy range calculator which accounts for city/country road/highway, temperature, battery size, AC settings, and wheels. Surprisingly, the 20” Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels yield the best range of all wheels, even the 19” ones. Wasn’t aware of that when I ordered my 4S, but nice to know after the fact.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/
perfect, thank you!

Oddly, the calculator doesn’t have the 20” off-road design, but it does have the 21” cross Turismo design wheels. It’s a ~5% difference.

I swore long ago that I would never do 21” wheels again if 20”s were an option having had to replace 3 tires and 2 wheels in 18 months due to potholes. The additional sidewall not only provides some protection for the wheels but also provides a smoother ride.

Having said that, man are the 21” cross Turismo wheels sexy.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
All true, but not forget to pump the tires up. I went from 2.6 to 3.0 bars, really helps.
Does it get good traction while you do launch control with higher pressure?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Looking at the reported average speed and distances that have been reported, I doubt Launch control is on his mind? Seems very good consumption and careful driving in ideal weather conditions? ?

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Looking at the reported average speed and distances that have been reported, I doubt Launch control is on his mind? Seems very good consumption and careful driving in ideal weather conditions? ?
Ah, true.
Didn't realize the 15.3 kWh/100mileskm (@Jhenson29 : Thanks for correction) consumption. I am averaging around 40kWH/100 miles.

Different priorities for everyone. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Ah, true.
Didn't realize the 15.3 kWh/100miles consumption. I am averaging around 40kWH/100 miles.

Different priorities for everyone. Thanks for pointing that out :)
It’s 15.3kWh/100km. So, 24.7kWh/100mi.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Excellent observation! I run a few full charging cycles with range in mind in order to see what this baby really can deliver if needed. :like:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I went from 2.6 bar to 3 bar. The steering feels a little bit lighter, which I don't mind. The corners feel the same, but haven't really tested it. Unfortunately, unlike a real Porsche driver, LCs are not really a requirement for my daily driving. :like:

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag

But Mission E sure are cool looking. I say we didn't buy these cars for 3 extra miles of range, we bought them because they were electric Porsche sport cars.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Definitely best intervention for improving efficiency - that does not involve slowing down;). I use 42 PSI (2.9 bar) - picked that number just because that is what I used to have in the P85D - which is similar in size and weight.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Definitely best intervention for improving efficiency - that does not involve slowing down;). I use 42 PSI (2.9 bar) - picked that number just because that is what I used to have in the P85D - which is similar in size and weight.
This was the first time I did it, and I am really now wondering what is the perfect pressure to have range without sacrificing yummy corner feasts.

I'll experiment a bit with this, but 3.0 and 3.1 seems to be a bit high. 2.8/2.9 could be a sweet spot.
Sponsored