Electric charging cover worth the 689 EUR - yes/no?

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I stuck with the manual covers for the following reasons:

1) It leaves the side vents open for the air curtain, which is how it was designed
2) one less thing to fail
3) saved me $640!
4) I have been driving for over 35 years with "manual" fuel door covers, so closing them after filling up is second nature. I never forget.
Sponsored

RaidenTsao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY20 E-tron 55. Taycan Cross Turismo 4 ordered
Country flag
For me the answer is yes. Two reasons:

1. This option blocks the vents behind the front wheel…which keeps the front doors cleaner/reduces paint damage from sand and road debris
2. The black detail on the cover makes the car look better.

If it didnt do those two things, I would skip it. Not worth it for just the electric cover.
I got it exactly for the first reason. Where I live (Finland), city applies a lot of gravels on the snowy road. I checked some demo cars with manual cover at dealer. The air vent captures a lot of little stones at its bottom. And in the worst case, those little stones are thrown towards the front door

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I stuck with the manual covers for the following reasons:

1) It leaves the side vents open for the air curtain, which is how it was designed
2) one less thing to fail
3) saved me $640!
4) I have been driving for over 35 years with "manual" fuel door covers, so closing them after filling up is second nature. I never forget.
I have to agree with you on all these points.
.....But at the same time if we didn't want any of these things we would still have wind up windows, no AC (just open the window), basic manual seats, no power steering, etc etc. I'm not saying that would be a really bad thing; my first car, an Alfasud, had none of these and I enjoyed it very much for its driving experience. But I embrace the progress thats been made over the 40+ years I have been driving and making my driving experience / ownership even better (hopefully).

For me, I spec'd it.

PappaGanoush

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E Class
Country flag
Hi,

I have this option. My theory being - Normal fuel car you will fill up once maybe twice a week. With a Taycan you will use it everyday if not twice a day (to disconnect in the morning, then reconnect in the evening). With the location it will attract road dirt / grit. If you are pushing on that same bit twice a day it wont take long for some scratches to appear over time.

Just my thoughts.

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
People keep mentioning range, but how much air can actually pass through these vents? If I’m looking at <1% loss of range, I’m okay with that as a trade off from the downsides of touching your paint work all the time.

It also looks cool, and you can open it from inside if it’s too dirty to swipe. Honestly, on dirty Norwegian winter roads, I have yet to have had the swiping fail me, the exception being with wet fingers on a wet car.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I am an engineer so I was more driven by actual logical rock trajectory than hypothetical concern.
It will certainly allow a few more square inches to get dirtier and a small collection of road debris to accumulate.
I am not budget driven but exasperation driven when going through the configurator.
The Taycan is the first Porsche in 30 years I have liked enough to keep going to the end of the configurator without giving up in disgust.
My last car actually cost 30% of the maximum budget I has set myself and was suitable for what I wanted.
This is my first Porsche. I went into it knowing that since it was a Porsche options would make up a good bit of the cost. Options are the curse and the blessing of Porsche. A curse because you really have to get at least some options, and a blessing because you can configure the cars to your own personal taste.

By the time I was finished I ended up with over 50% of the base MSRP just in options. But, no regrets. Now that it is being built I can honestly say that there isn't anything I'd add or subtract. Not that that could change once I've had the car for a while.

The charge port cover seems to be one of those love it or hate it options. Some people insist that they were getting damage from grit/sand/pebbles but that isn't really a reason to get the charge port cover since there are other ways of addressing that issue, PPF, manually blocking the vents, etc., if that is a concern. Personally, I just think it is cool. Especially since I'm not aware of any other EVs that have that option ?

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
Hi,

Locking in the final config today... I'm just not sure about this electric charging cover... I think the car looks better without it -
Take it!
if you don’t you have the holes near the front wheels and all dirt and stones will be in there. Difficult to remove. See other posts.
also very expensive if someone breaks it off, with automatic charging cover not a problem.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
So to conclude.......

50% yay.
50% nay.

Hopefully this helps the OP
?

Or maybe...... Spec them unless there is another option that you want more for the money?

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
I got it cause it looks cool. Trying to think of a valid reason other than that, but really thats all it comes down to

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
I have it and it makes me smile every time I use it. Looks ok. And it works reliably for me. I can’t understand the strong feelings it generates.