Electrical fault - Juddering to sudden stop.

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had my Taycan 4s for about 4 months and have added around 800 miles. Last week I was doing about 50mph and the car started to judder violently & came to an abrupt stop. I had no control of steering, braking or acceleration. The car behind me swerved to miss me but drove another car onto the embankment. I’ve since read of similar issues and had the same red fault message many mention. I did turn the car off & on a few times and the car did start again. Porsche are collecting the car and said they haven’t heard of this issue before. If I am honest I am apprehensive to drive the car again as I have read of too many similar issues. If this happenes on a motorway or when overtaking I dread to think of the outcome. Really not sure what to do as I love the car but can’t say I want to transport my family in it anytime soon. Anyone with similar issues come to a resolution with Porsche.
Sponsored

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had my Taycan 4s for about 4 months and have added around 800 miles. Last week I was doing about 50mph and the car started to judder violently & came to an abrupt stop. I had no control of steering, braking or acceleration. The car behind me swerved to miss me but drove another car onto the embankment. I’ve since read of similar issues and had the same red fault message many mention. I did turn the car off & on a few times and the car did start again. Porsche are collecting the car and said they haven’t heard of this issue before. If I am honest I am apprehensive to drive the car again as I have read of too many similar issues. If this happenes on a motorway or when overtaking I dread to think of the outcome. Really not sure what to do as I love the car but can’t say I want to transport my family in it anytime soon. Anyone with similar issues come to a resolution with Porsche.
@Stealthtaycan , I posted this earlier regarding how to raise this issue with the UK government agency responsible for car safety. The more complaints that are posted against the Taycan for this issue, the faster they’ll hopefully act. This issue, while much less frequent than the battery draining bug, is much more serious and Porsche needs to fix it. Out of curiosity, have you upgraded your car with the latest software patch that claims to fix the battery drain issue ? While that patch does not claim to fix this type of issue, it is common practice to sneak in other fixes in a patch, particularly for an issue the manufacturer does not wish to admit ever existed.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/12-volt-battery-issue-now.3559/page-3#post-49370

OP
OP

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Stealthtaycan , I posted this earlier regarding how to raise this issue with the UK government agency responsible for car safety. The more complaints that are posted against the Taycan for this issue, the faster they’ll hopefully act. This issue, while much less frequent than the battery draining bug, is much more serious and Porsche needs to fix it. Out of curiosity, have you upgraded your car with the latest software patch that claims to fix the battery drain issue ? While that patch does not claim to fix this type of issue, it is common practice to sneak in other fixes in a patch, particularly for an issue the manufacturer does not wish to admit ever existed.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/12-volt-battery-issue-now.3559/page-3#post-49370

Hi Mark,
Yes the car was in for some other work and I had the new update installed. The dealer said I was one of the first to have the update. Unfortunately the issue I had was my first drive after the software update. This makes the issue even more worryingly for me as like you said it’s a way to fix issues they don’t want to admit.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Hi Mark,
Yes the car was in for some other work and I had the new update installed. The dealer said I was one of the first to have the update. Unfortunately the issue I had was my first drive after the software update. This makes the issue even more worryingly for me as like you said it’s a way to fix issues they don’t want to admit.
This sounds as if the update introduced the problem, and if true, the software update campaign should be halted.

Did you also lose steering? Did you have enough time to pull over to the side of the freeway?

OP
OP

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
This sounds as if the update introduced the problem, and if true, the software update campaign should be halted.

Did you also lose steering? Did you have enough time to pull over to the side of the freeway?
Yes I did lose steering which left me sat in the middle lane of busy dual carriageway. I was sat there for a few minutes which was not a nice experience.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are 4-5 reports of the issues in NHTSA before the software update so it is a preexisting issue. Based on the reports in this forum, the early vehicles had a bad DC converter that was recalled. The rest of the vehicles had a bad main battery which is why it happens at the first weeks of ownership.

Software can probably handle this issue better. Instead of locking the motors and steering when power is lost, it might be better to disengage the motors so the car can roll and provide power (from 12v battery) to the steering wheel.
Porsche should find a way to detect to test and detect these defective batteries before they are installed in vehicles and before anyone gets in a serious accident.

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Does the steering actually lock or you lose power steering?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
There are at least a handful of cars that have deployed "steer by wire." (although not Porsche). In these cars, there is no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the steering rack. Electrical sensors control the steering motors in these cars. The steering wheel is essentially a joystick in these cars.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
There are at least a handful of cars that have deployed "steer by wire." (although not Porsche). In these cars, there is no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the steering rack. Electrical sensors control the steering motors in these cars. The steering wheel is essentially a joystick in these cars.
I think my BMW Z4 was like that, but I may be mistaken.

festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
I can't lie; As someone waiting for his Taycan to arrive at the dealer, posts like this one scare the heck out of me. Please keep us posted on the outcome!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It is development but I think it's not legal (yet).

https://electrek.co/2020/10/12/tesla-steer-by-wire-motor-geartrain-team-austin/

I quote: "However, many markets still require mechanical linkages in steering systems in order for a vehicle to be road legal".