First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dear all,
Firstly I’ve had my Taycan 4S for 6 months and love it but encountered a scary electrical fault whilst driving a few days ago. I’d just left home early in the morning and when pressing the brakes to slow for a junction the car lost power and began shaking as if the ABS brakes had locked up but in fact the vehicle struggled to slow and stop!
It was extremely alarming not being able to stop as normal but very lucky I wasn’t driving above 30 miles an hour and their was no other traffic around at the time.
Has anyone else lost braking power and seen the electrical fault warning on the dashboard?
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Are you sure you couldn't brake cuz the first travel is regen (probably the cause of the electric warning) and the hard press is the actual mechanical braking.

OP
OP

Paul123

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you sure you couldn't brake cuz the first travel is regen (probably the cause of the electric warning) and the hard press is the actual mechanical braking.
I'm really not sure as I thought regenerative braking is optional and I don't normally have the car set-up to use regen. It happened so quickly that I could be mistaken but I recall feeling like the car was struggling to stop and the car seemed to shake or judder similar to how ABS feels through the brake pedal under severe braking, which is not how I was braking as only travelling about 30mph.
The vehicle is now with my local dealership on a diagnostic check to see if the car recorded the fault shown on the dashboard at the time of the event.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I'm really not sure as I thought regenerative braking is optional and I don't normally have the car set-up to use regen. It happened so quickly that I could be mistaken but I recall feeling like the car was struggling to stop and the car seemed to shake or judder similar to how ABS feels through the brake pedal under severe braking, which is not how I was braking as only travelling about 30mph.
The vehicle is now with my local dealership on a diagnostic check to see if the car recorded the fault shown on the dashboard at the time of the event.
The car will use regen to stop until more braking force is required.
I would definitely get Porsche to take an in depth look at everything because this is a very serious thing to happen.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Regen when not pressing the accelerator is optional. Regen when pressing the break is not optional. It requires a heavy pressing to go to the mechanical break. Which should work in case there is an issue like this.

Concerning issue nonetheless.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Regen when not pressing the accelerator is optional. Regen when pressing the break is not optional. It requires a heavy pressing to go to the mechanical break. Which should work in case there is an issue like this.

Concerning issue nonetheless.
This is not really accurate. Braking is mechanical only for the first 500ish km, and then for the first few hundred metres when you first start driving each day. But it's extremely well integrated so you can't tell from pedal feel or from how the car decelerates.

You can tell from the green line on the speedometer. On start-up it only goes to maybe 11:30 via the normal regen. After a while it goes a lot further on braking, to about 09:00.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
This is not really accurate. Braking is mechanical only for the first 500ish km, and then for the first few hundred metres when you first start driving each day. But it's extremely well integrated so you can't tell from pedal feel or from how the car decelerates.

You can tell from the green line on the speedometer. On start-up it only goes to maybe 11:30 via the normal regen. After a while it goes a lot further on braking, to about 09:00.
wow - really - mine still barely moves on regen gauge but must be something to do with the mileage as I am just around 650km.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Dear all,
Firstly I’ve had my Taycan 4S for 6 months and love it but encountered a scary electrical fault whilst driving a few days ago. I’d just left home early in the morning and when pressing the brakes to slow for a junction the car lost power and began shaking as if the ABS brakes had locked up but in fact the vehicle struggled to slow and stop!
It was extremely alarming not being able to stop as normal but very lucky I wasn’t driving above 30 miles an hour and their was no other traffic around at the time.
Has anyone else lost braking power and seen the electrical fault warning on the dashboard?
I believe the car was working as designed for a brake booster failure. When the booster fails the car uses the ABS to stop the car which is why you felt the pulsing. Were they able to fix it in short order?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Very cool information on the phased in regen, I have to look closer. I am at 650 miles.

One additional add would be the regen provides up to 0.39g braking force and mechanical braking is used for last bit of slow speed braking.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

I didn't know the braking has a time schedule.
So, if I understand it correctly, I don't have brakes before 11:30am?
But after that I can brake until 9:00pm?
What happens when I'm late, let's say 10:00pm, do I have to wait until 11:30am?
I think that's very strange, sorry.

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dear all,
Hi Paul123, I had an identical incident which nearly involved a high speed collision. Was wondering how it planned out for you as Porsche have told me it was a fault with the clutch and it shouldn’t happen again but can’t put it in writing. For me this is not good enough as it clearly is not a one off and I have lost all confidence in wanting to drive the car on a motorway or perform overtaking etc. I’m absolutely gutted as I love the car.

OP
OP

Paul123

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Paul123, I had an identical incident which nearly involved a high speed collision. Was wondering how it planned out for you as Porsche have told me it was a fault with the clutch and it shouldn’t happen again but can’t put it in writing. For me this is not good enough as it clearly is not a one off and I have lost all confidence in wanting to drive the car on a motorway or perform overtaking etc. I’m absolutely gutted as I love the car.
Sorry to hear you also had a similar fault. The first time it happened I had it towed to the local dealership were they found no faults and made me feel like it hadn't happened. I took the car back and it happened a couple of more times, always after it had been on a long charge at home. The last time I had it towed back to the dealership again and they found numerous errors, but to be honest they couldn't dispute it as I took pictures of the warning messages on the car dash at the time of the event.
They said the car was over charging and passing current to places that it shouldn't. I wasn't prepared to drive the car again and after speaking the the dealership I purchased the car from they agreed to buy back the car with some financial assistance from Porsche UK.
I've now taken delivery of an ex demo Taycan Turbo, which I'm glad to say hasn't shown any signs of repeating the problem I had with the 4S.

Porsche Taycan Electrical Fault with Taycan 4S Electrical System Fault 2

Porsche Taycan Electrical Fault with Taycan 4S Electrical System Fault