Electrical system error -- dashboard notification -- anyone else experience this? -- resolution - defective 12v battery

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I wanted to see if the anyone on the forum has received this message? It is the 2nd time I have received it - the first time it just went way when I turned off the car, and turned back on. This time the message has not cleared itself itself after turning the car off and on. I have an appointment with the dealership in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone has experience, or was able to clear themselves. thanks in advance.

Porsche Taycan Electrical system error --  dashboard notification  --  anyone else experience this?  --  resolution  -  defective 12v battery IMG_9681
Sponsored

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just as follow up to my postl, I took the car to the dealership today, and they diagnosed the electrical error as a faulty 12v battery. There is already one huge thread on 12v batteries issues, but I was informed today that they need to order a replacement from Germany and it will take two weeks to get here, if we are lucky. So much for my road trip this weekend.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Another one. That issue is getting serious. Starting to worry when this hits my car...

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Singularity

Unfortunately, I am not sure if Porsche sees it that way. In addition, the vehicle is so new to the dealership network that they do not keep an inventory of 12v batteries on hand. I am not sure if Porsche will investigate more and see if there is a software glitch that is causing the batteries to fail, but hopefully North America dealerships at least keep an inventory of the batteries on hand, so customers do not have to wait 2 weeks or more to wait for a replacement to come from Germany.

R20KESH

First Name
rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla s and x, range rover sport phev, porsche taycan, merc
Country flag
yes, had the same fault on Friday, my car is with dealer for investigation

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@PanameraFrank I am not sure terrifying is the word I would use, but this appears to be more than the occasional 12v battery issue in the new Taycan. Porsche needs to step up and see what they can do to rectify this issue new car owners are facing - it seems software related since the battery thinks one thing and does not turn off. I think the first step to help alleviate some of the frustration experienced by some of us that the battery issue has affected is to have a readily available stock of 12v batteries located in a US warehouse, so there is not a 2 to 3 week delay in waiting for a replacement to be shipped from Germany. This is the situation I am in now. I contacted Porsche USA to express my displeasure, and they have been very good about helping me out, considering we are waiting on a car part from Germany.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
@PanameraFrank I am not sure terrifying is the word I would use, but this appears to be more than the occasional 12v battery issue in the new Taycan. Porsche needs to step up and see what they can do to rectify this issue new car owners are facing - it seems software related since the battery thinks one thing and does not turn off. I think the first step to help alleviate some of the frustration experienced by some of us that the battery issue has affected is to have a readily available stock of 12v batteries located in a US warehouse, so there is not a 2 to 3 week delay in waiting for a replacement to be shipped from Germany. This is the situation I am in now. I contacted Porsche USA to express my displeasure, and they have been very good about helping me out, considering we are waiting on a car part from Germany.
With this kind of manufacturing defect, Porsche’s CEO should be airfreighting several pallets of 12V to Porsche USA. In addition to range anxiety, not comforting to hear about the 12V to start the long summer road trip.

punkdad2020

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa GTS, Cayenne, S550 Cab
Country flag
I wanted to see if the anyone on the forum has received this message? It is the 2nd time I have received it - the first time it just went way when I turned off the car, and turned back on. This time the message has not cleared itself itself after turning the car off and on. I have an appointment with the dealership in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone has experience, or was able to clear themselves. thanks in advance.

IMG_9681.jpg
I was hit this morning! No reply from my dealer...assume it is rapidly approaching recall status!

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@PNWTaycan4S Range anxiety is not an issue, honestly. I put 2,000 miles on my 4s in the first month of ownership - drove from Denver to Aspen and from Denver to Salt Lake City. The vehicle is more efficient than I thought, and I was making the same stops to charge as I was in my Model S.

The 12v battery is my biggest concern right now, and I agree with you on inventory. Once I get my car back I am going to road trip again, and have already purchased a trickle charger in case.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@punkdad2020 Sorry to hear that this has hit you as well. Hopefully, they can simply charge the battery again for you, and not replace the unit. Keep us in the loop. I think the more we vocalize the 12v battery challenges we are facing, the more Porsche will have to do something about it.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I say terrifying because my last car (an iPace which I bought to hold me over for the Taycan) was lemoned for battery issues. It was a terrible experience and I only keep one car at a time which exasperates the issue.

After that I wasn't even going to get a Taycan until I impulsively drove one and loved it. So it's scary to hear. These forums look a lot like the forums for the iPace which is now 2 years old and still an absolute train wreck.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@PanameraFrank I would trust Porsche more than I trust Jaguar. That being said, I am hoping that the new battery, keeping the setting adjustments to a minimum, and not logging into the app very often, will help keep the 12v battery from continually firing up and draining.

I did buy a Porsche trickle charger that I plan to experiment with to see if it will charge the battery a little.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@PanameraFrank I would trust Porsche more than I trust Jaguar. That being said, I am hoping that the new battery, keeping the setting adjustments to a minimum, and not logging into the app very often, will help keep the 12b battery from continually firing up and draining.

I did buy a Porsche trickle charger that I plan to experiment with to see if it will charge the battery a little.
I agree. Thankfully the problems with the Taycan (so far) are not as major as the iPaces, even though that's no consolation to you and the others having their beautiful new cars taken to the shop! Porsche also has so much invested into EVs that they have no choice but to support it, Jaguar really made the iPace because they had to and really couldn't care less about it.

Hopefully it is something as silly as the app or charging system accidentally draining the 12v and Porsche can patch it out. It'll be interesting to see if my car encounters the issue, I won't be using any smart charging at home. I have a Clipper Creek 20a charger that is just plug & play and I don't plan on using any sort of timers/etc.. at first.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
There must be something about electric cars and their system batteries (i.e., not the propulsion battery) that presents a weird challenge from a design standpoint. Every electric propulsion car I have owned (Volt, Tesla, Volvo) went through a period where the system battery failed and bricked my car. My Volvo had it happen three times over a two year period. Eventually, the problems were resolved and the cars worked fine. Whatever these manufacturers are learning, they don't appear to be sharing their insights with others.
Sponsored