Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
2,798 miles, 28 chargers, 13 states and one Hyundai IONIQ 5 equals one epic coast-to-coast road trip for our CEO-Elect.

His EA charging experiences not as problem-free as @thecoloradokid 's. ;)
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I watched the video earlier today after it popped up in my Youtube feed. Honestly, you have to give the guy credit that he was honest when he ran into sites that had non-functioning chargers - like the one in Cedar City, UT. Which happens to be tied with Grand Junction, CO as my least favorite chargers in the EA network west of Denver.

He made the trip without much difficultly, so kudos to the guy for getting out to experience the network for himself. The only bummer is that he did not arrive at chargers that were full and required a wait. I think that would show the value at expanding the network, and adding more chargers to existing sites. More and more CCS compatible EVs rolling out every day, but the number of high speed chargers has yet to start growing to keep up with the demand.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I think it was great that he did this to get a real life feel for what all customers experience with each charge. I must say that for the past 14 months I have only used EA with little to no issues.
The only thing I hate about EV charging at EA is they are remote (in my area) and have no over head cover which stinks when it rains and snows.

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Comical EA charging experience today.
I set my trip planner to arrive and charge at the only EA station in northern Colorado. It says 1 of 3 350kw chargers are available and the only other charger is a 150kw and it's occupied. When I arrive, I find the 3 350kw chargers are all occupied and the 150 is available. I figured what the hell, I was already there, so I tapped into the 150 and it started charging at 150 right away. So I checked out the 3 350kw chargers (that all had ID.4's on them) one was charging at 55kw and the other 2 were at 65kw. Eventually 2 of the 3 cars disengaged so I checked the one remained and it jumped to 80kw. The guy charging there said he had never gotten better than 80kw. Meanwhile, I was at 158kw on the 150 charger and it went quite well (for me).

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Here in Tampa,, Fl EA upgraded our 8 dispenser station to the new SK Signet 350kW dispensers. Early on there were a lot of issues with these dispensers but now all of them are very reliable. My Taycan has pulled 270kW on these new units. Since all are max power now seeing a Bolt pulling 50kW is not a problem. Prior to the SK Signets there was a mixture of 150 and 350kW dispensers. It was not unusual to find a slow charging EV on a 350kW dispenser. Finally, my car has pulled 175kW off a 150kW dispenser. I am not at all annoyed to have to plug into a 150kW EA charger.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Comical EA charging experience today.
I figured what the hell, I was already there, so I tapped into the 150 and it started charging at 150 right away. [...] Meanwhile, I was at 158kw on the 150 charger and it went quite well (for me).
Finally, my car has pulled 175kW off a 150kW dispenser. I am not at all annoyed to have to plug into a 150kW EA charger.
What's that old racing adage? "If you're not accelerating or charging, you're wasting time." After several road trips, I figured the most aggravating aspect of charging is dead time - waiting for a charger, battling app/car issues (whether it's PnC or trying to find the fastest dispenser) - it's not the delay, it's the stress it causes (me), which then takes many miles to dissipate. Plug in wherever is available, pay if needed, get charging and then get going.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
100 miles between charging (on average for this experiment) is not great. Having trouble with that being more efficient than 150-200 miles between charges. Much prefer arriving at a hotel near empty and charging at night.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
His experience seems very similar with my 30 charger EA experience on a trip I did in February. That said I bet he got quicker response from the tech support number than I would, but I never had to call.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
100 miles between charging (on average for this experiment) is not great. Having trouble with that being more efficient than 150-200 miles between charges. Much prefer arriving at a hotel near empty and charging at night.
I agree with your desire for 150-200 miles between charges. The problem with waiting to charge after 200 miles is that if you are unable to get a charge at a planned EA site, it may not be easy to find another DC fast charge site within the car's remaining range.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think he wanted to experience as many charging experiences as possible rather than doing a connonball like Kyle Conner on OSM. Looks like he had exceptionally good experiences, which proves many drivers are having at least an acceptable experience. Unfortunately, this video did not detail many unacceptable charging experiences that many have detailed. Like Dave in his Lucid experiencing up and down charging power and many who get less than 10kW on a 350kW dispenser. Hope Rob is watching "Rate Yor Charge" on Twitter for exceptional insight into both good and bad charging experiences.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I think he wanted to experience as many charging experiences as possible rather than doing a connonball like Kyle Conner on OSM. Looks like he had exceptionally good experiences, which proves many drivers are having at least an acceptable experience. Unfortunately, this video did not detail many unacceptable charging experiences that many have detailed. Like Dave in his Lucid experiencing up and down charging power and many who get less than 10kW on a 350kW dispenser. Hope Rob is watching "Rate Yor Charge" on Twitter for exceptional insight into both good and bad charging experiences.

Not sure why the soon to be CEO of Electrify America is going to "detail many unacceptable charging experiences that many have detailed?" He was documenting his experience on using the charging network he will soon be managing. Why is he going to reference someone who has a charging issue with a Lucid when no one can prove if it is the car or the charger? The same Lucid also had issues getting ramped up charging speeds at that charging start up company in Arizona that sponsors Kyle's videos.

I am sure Electrify America has all the "exceptional insight" on the current deficiencies in their network without having to reference PlugShare, or the idiot cesspool known as Twitter. Let's not play up Kyle Conner until he actually scores an interview with the incoming new CEO of Electrify America and gets facts, not just innuendo.
Sponsored