First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
if you are on a 350 kW charger you'll be at 80% or more in 25 min or less
after about 90% the charge rate slows down by quite a margin to preserve the battery's longevity (8 year/100,000 mile warranty)
it can take upto 50 min or more to reach 100% - don't do this - it's un-necessary
I normaly unplug at about 93% because honestly that last 7% isn't that much driving range and it takes forever given the slow charge rate - you'll wait another 20 min for that last 7%

no not all charger are the "same" - sometimes they are misbehaving (often??) and you get much much slower rates

if the charger is working and running at peak capacity you should not need to spend much more than 30 minutes at a charging stop

if the charger is working corrrectly the Taycan's battery isn't big enough to need much more than 45 minutes - i.e. if the battery is at the 84-87% mark at 30 minutes- how much more do you need from another session?

you can take a full hour or so if you need to squeeze out those last few single digit percentages (93% battery charge SOC and beyond) - but you need to do reward analysis - it will take 10-30 min for that last 7%, and how many miles are you gaining for the extra time spent at the charger? Normally you don't need the range so you unplug and move on to the next fast charging stop.

"the oaks" in Paso Robles has EV chargers - and the town has fastDC chargers

bob's well bread has a new shiny EA charger across the street in Los Alamos - excellent excellent bakery - and you can fast charge the Taycan while you get some excellent bread and sandwiches…on your way to Paso Robles if you heading north…

when I road trip and EV (Tesla or others) I like to do, 1 or 2 fast charging stops a day- and stay at a hotel where I can slow charge to 100% overnight on a "slow" charger/NEMA 14-50 plug - that sets me up for the next day's 1 or 2 fast charging stops - 1 or 2 fast charging stops a day (40 min or less for each of them) equals 600-700 miles driving in most EV's no problem - and an overnight stop w/slow charger means I'm 100% full in the morning. One fast charging stop a day is normally all that is needed if the distance works out - and it also tends to work out to be the "mid day" meal stop- which I often find the car is ready before I am - 2 stops a day is more rare - with 3 being almost unheard of but possible.

I normally let the session run and pay for the later portion with my account because Porsche covered the 1st 30 minutes and it's just easier to leave the car plugged in and 'cooking' - there is actually quite abit of time overhead to stop a session, remove the charging cable, plug back in, and wait for the session to be restarted to save $0.97 - it's also probably a bit rude to unplug and plug back in if someone is waiting to charge and they need your spot.

You should easily be at 85% or even 90% battery at the 30 min mark - EA chargers by the kWh, not by time (until idle fees) - so 10% of the Taycan's 83.4 kWh usable capacity is let's call it 9 kWh - they charge about $0.31 kWh billing rate - so 9 kWh * $0.31 kWh = $2.79 charge for what ever electrons you are gaining beyond the included 30 minute session - for me that $2.79 doesn't harsh my buzz hard enough to bother with the whole let's unplug and do this again overhead - I'm much more interested in unplugging and getting along on my trip than saving $2.

make sure to drive the charger stations with it entered into the Porsche navigation - if the Porsche navigations "knows" you're driving to an EV charger it will pre-condition the battery on the way to optimize it for best results…

don't fear the 150 kW stall - given charging taper and actual math - it's only a 4-6 min penalty when charging from a 150 kW station vs. a 350 kW - this is because the Taycan's max rate is 270 kW - but you'll only get that rate up until about 30% SOC - after that the charging rate slows down for battery preservation - and then runs at about 180-150 kW until about 70-80% where it will begin to drop below 100 kW

in practice at local 150 kW EA stations I get 175 kW to start and then begin the slow taper until it's time to unplug…
  • check the station's reliabiltiy on plug-share before blindly landing someplace where you need to charge
  • use ABRP to plan your trip
  • enjoy
  • change stalls if your charge rate isn't as fast as you expect
  • have a back up plan for another near by charger incase the one you need isn't working or being fussy
the most "time efficient" fast charging road trips are normally stops from 10% SOC or less to about 88% - unplug - rinse, lather, repeat - with an unattended overnight top off to 100% @ a slow hotel/business charger to prepare for the next day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
after about 90% the charge rate slows down by quite a margin to preserve the battery's longevity (8 year/100,000 mile warranty)
it can take upto 50 min or more to reach 100% - don't do this - it's un-necessary
I normaly unplug at about 93% because honestly that last 7% isn't that much driving range and it takes forever given the slow charge rate - you'll wait another 20 min for that last 7%

no not all charger are the "same" - sometimes they are misbehaving (often??) and you get much much slower rates

if the charger is working and running at peak capacity you should not need to spend much more than 30 minutes at a charging stop

if the charger is working corrrectly the Taycan's battery isn't big enough to need much more than 45 minutes - i.e. if the battery is at the 84-87% mark at 30 minutes- how much more do you need from another session?

you can take a full hour or so if you need to squeeze out those last few single digit percentages (93% battery charge SOC and beyond) - but you need to do reward analysis - it will take 10-30 min for that last 7%, and how many miles are you gaining for the extra time spent at the charger? Normally you don't need the range so you unplug and move on to the next fast charging stop.

bob's well bread has a new shiny EA charger across the street in Los Alamos - excellent excellent bakery - and you can fast charge the Taycan while you get some excellent bread and sandwiches…on your way to Paso Robles if you heading north…

when I road trip I like to do, 1 or 2 fast charging stops a day- and stay at a hotel where I can charge to 100% overnight on a "slow" charger - that sets me up for the next day's 1 or 2 fast charging stops - 1 or 2 fast charging stops a day (40 min or less for each of them) equals 600-700 miles driving in most EV's no problem - and an overnight stop w/slow charger means I'm 100% full in the morning.

I normally let the session run and pay for the later portion with my account because Porsche covered the 1st 30 minutes

make sure to drive the charger stations with it entered into the Porsche navigation - if the Porsche navigations "knows" you're driving to an EV charger it will pre-condition the battery on the way to optimize it for best results…

don't fear the 150 kW stall - given charging taper and actual math - it's only a 4-6 min penalty when charging from a 150 kW station vs. a 350 kW - this is because the Taycan's max rate is 270 kW - but you'll only get that rate up until about 30% SOC - after that the charging rate slows down for battery preservation - and then runs at about 180-150 kW until about 70-80% where it will begin to drop below 100 kW

in practice at local 150 kW EA stations I get 175 kW to start and then begin the slow taper until it's time to unplug…
  • check the station's reliabiltiy on plug-share before blindly landing someplace where you need to charge
  • enjoy
  • have a back up plan for another near by charger incase the one you need isn't working or being fussy
the most "time efficient" fast charging road trips are normally stops from 10% SOC or less to about 88% - unplug - rinse, lather, repeat - with an unattended overnight top off to 100% @ a slow hotel/business charger to prepare for the next day.
Thanks for the thorough the helpful reply.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the thorough the helpful reply.
you'll find road tripping in North America with a TeslaTap to be useful - lots and lots of Hotels/Businesses (wineries in Paso Robles for example) have Tesla (L2/slow) chargers - with the TeslaTap you'll be able to charge from these chargers while away from home - the TeslaTap will _NOT_ provide supercharger access - but will allow you to Charge using the Tesla charger's at "the Oaks" in Paso Robles for example (although the oaks also has J-1772 chargers)…

TeslaTap
NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter from Amazon ($40 or less)
and a good NEMA 14-50 mobile 32/40 amp charger in the frunk

makes for a great minimal EV road warrior

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
with a TeslaTap and a good mobile EVSE this is the filter settings for Plugshare so that you can find chargers in area that you could charge from while away from home.

Porsche Taycan Electrify America/Charging NA Question 24F0BE65-70C9-4123-BE4B-9A170022538E

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and here are the "slow" charger "Tesla" chargers you gain access to in the PasoRobles area (for example) by owning and having a TeslaTap…the filter here is showing _ONLY_ Tesla chargers - of which as you can see there are quite a few…

the green pins on the map would be inaccessable to you as a Taycan/EV owner with out a TeslaTap.

most of these pins are wineries - it simply awesome to slow charge your EV while doing a 1-3 hour tasting…you should be able to get about 8%/hour while charging from most these…

NOTE: Tesla Destination chargers are not any particular kw rating - Tesla Wall Chargers (which all of these are) can be configured from 12 to 80 amp charge rate (15-100 amp breakers) - most will be in the 40-60 amp breaker range (32-48 amp charging) - and of the fraction outside that range bigger is more common than smaller (there are more 80/100 amp Tesla Destination chargers than 12-30 amp Tesla Destination Chargers). But you should via a TeslaTap get anywhere from 7 to 11 kW charge rate at most/majority/90% of Tesla Destination chargers…if you have the 19.2 kW charging option and find a 100 amp Tesla Destination charger (there are quite a few) you'll get your full 19.2 kW charge rate and do a happy dance.

Porsche Taycan Electrify America/Charging NA Question D76E0E19-DEE7-4BC9-82C5-17E6489EEDA4

Last edited:

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
you'll find road tripping in North America with a TeslaTap to be useful - lots and lots of Hotels/Businesses (wineries in Paso Robles for example) have Tesla (L2/slow) chargers - with the TeslaTap you'll be able to charge from these chargers while away from home - the TeslaTap will _NOT_ provide supercharger access - but will allow you to Charge using the Tesla charger's at "the Oaks" in Paso Robles for example (although the oaks also has J-1772 chargers)…

TeslaTap
NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter from Amazon ($40 or less)
and a good NEMA 14-50 mobile 32/40 amp charger in the frunk

makes for a great minimal EV road warrior
Will look into it and get for next road trip. With the Tesla Tap, do u need to sign up for the Tesla charging service in advance so that you can pay?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Will look into it and get for next road trip. With the Tesla Tap, do u need to sign up for the Tesla charging service in advance so that you can pay?
no - Tesla "destination" chargers are simply home EV chargers installed by businesses for their customer's use - there is no account/billing/network/activation - the are just EV chargers in the parking lot for customers to use - charger usage is at the discretion of the business owner - there is no activation/network control on these chargers - they are just like your home charger in your garage - passive appliances just sitting there waiting to be plugged in to a vehicle.

sometimes the business have a circuit-breaker in a lock box to control access - but if you're a customer and ask the they will open the box and provide power - again usage is not dictated by billing/account-membership - it's at the discretion of the business owner that owns and has installed the station.

the Reason they are called the "Tesla Desintation" network is that normally these chargers were provided "free of charge" to the business if they agreed to install them and make them available to their customer base.

but honestly - they are no different that just setting up a PMCC in the parking lot and letting Porsche customers "use" them - they are not like the Supercharger network.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=100

one of these is a must have in my opinion for any EV owner traveling around North America - in particular on the West Coast - there are soooooooo many Tesla destination chargers all over the place - it really really expands the set of possible AC/L2 chargers you'll have access to while away from home…

some hotels in particular have _ONLY_ Tesla chargers and haven't yet gotten around to installing generic standard J-1772 chargers or a NEMA 14-50 plug. It's really really nice to charge your non-Tesla EV overnight at the hotel where you're staying (or across the street with permission)…

most wineries in California/Oregon have Tesla Destination chargers…but no J-1772 chargers or NEMA plugs.

NOTE: Bob's well bread in Los Alamos, CA has 2 Tesla Chargers in their back parking lot - before the EA station opened across the street (2 weeks ago) it was nice to stop for a sandwich and charger for 40-60 minutes while eating there…

Last edited:

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag

when I road trip and EV (Tesla or others) I like to do, 1 or 2 fast charging stops a day- and stay at a hotel where I can slow charge to 100% overnight on a "slow" charger/NEMA 14-50 plug - that sets me up for the next day's 1 or 2 fast charging stops - 1 or 2 fast charging stops a day (40 min or less for each of them) equals 600-700 miles driving in most EV's no problem - and an overnight stop w/slow charger means I'm 100% full in the morning. One fast charging stop a day is normally all that is needed if the distance works out - and it also tends to work out to be the "mid day" meal stop- which I often find the car is ready before I am - 2 stops a day is more rare - with 3 being almost unheard of but possible.

I normally let the session run and pay for the later portion with my account because Porsche covered the 1st 30 minutes and it's just easier to leave the car plugged in and 'cooking' - there is actually quite abit of time overhead to stop a session, remove the charging cable, plug back in, and wait for the session to be restarted to save $0.97 - it's also probably a bit rude to unplug and plug back in if someone is waiting to charge and they need your spot.

You should easily be at 85% or even 90% battery at the 30 min mark - EA chargers by the kWh, not by time (until idle fees) - so 10% of the Taycan's 83.4 kWh usable capacity is let's call it 9 kWh - they charge about $0.31 kWh billing rate - so 9 kWh * $0.31 kWh = $2.79 charge for what ever electrons you are gaining beyond the included 30 minute session - for me that $2.79 doesn't harsh my buzz hard enough to bother with the whole let's unplug and do this again overhead - I'm much more interested in unplugging and getting along on my trip than saving $2.

• enjoy
Thanks so much for this. A great round up.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use Charging NA without problems. I plug-in the charger and start the charging session from the app. You have to start the session fast after you plug in because there is a timeout that is a few seconds.

I have uninstalled the Porsche Connect App completely because it is suspected to cause the 12v battery drain problem.
What is Charging NA?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a phone application that Porsche has build to initiate the free charging sessions in Electrify America. You can download it from your phone's app store. When you open the app you will have to log in with your Porsche credentials.

iphone App store link
Android App store link
I have that one but never use it. I use the Porsche app.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Charging NA is deprecated (probably will go away soon entirely.)

Use the My Porsche app.
Sponsored