Electrify America charging station homicide , Do you feel safe charging at night?

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Wait, so someone was shot at night in a public space? I find it laughable that people are surprised that their would be crime at EV charging stations, particularly at night, and that this is something that could be 'solved'. Do you know how much crime occurs at gas stations at night in this country. Answer: a shitload. Do you routinely pull into empty gas stations in sketchy locations at night? I don't and they even have cashier's/attendants, which EV charging stations lack.

If you go out at night in this country and stop in relatively empty public places, you may be a victim of a crime. Shocking I know.
Exactly, even before I had a Porsche, I thought about what parts of town I was going out to at night and how to take basic steps to avoid potential risks. It's not because I have some deep fear of being a crime victim, but because avoiding particularly unsafe areas isn't that difficult.

That said, well designed charging stations could certainly improve the overall experience, including security. EVs have the advantage of being able to be used indoors without worrying about emissions, and I'd love to see designs that really embrace that aspect. Let me literally park inside the store front, take a few steps and sit down at a table where someone can take a quick order for food/refreshments, have it billed to my charger, and let me actually relax while my car charges.

Cv009900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Wow appreciate you posting this, I usually never leave the house with any of my guns but if I’m charging late at night probably will start doing that.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The only time I've felt uneasy charging at night was the Smiths Fuel Center in Winslow, AZ.

When I rolled up there was a gentleman face down on the pavement - for a moment I didn't know if he was dead, passed out on something, or what...turns out he was just sleeping and my arrival disturbed him as well as a couple others sleeping in cars.

They kept to themselves and I felt a little bad for disrupting them, but I had to charge...

Marirstaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RWD Taycan
Country flag
I am a new owner and recently started using EA stations.. I definitely feel lonely and vulnerable in EA stations, even during day times. One of the issue I see is all EA stations in my area seem to be in remote parking lots where there is no nearby shops or activity. This seems particularly true with EA, other charging places including Tesla seem usually in busy shopping malls, markets and places with a lot of traffic. Hoping to see more EA stations in coming months/years in better locations.
Sponsored