Electrify America charging station homicide , Do you feel safe charging at night?

drkgt3rs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3RS
Country flag
I was traveling from Savanah ,GA to northern NJ with 2 teen aged daughters and charged 3 times after 9 pm. I was the only one at charging stations which were located at the remote area of parking area. I did not feel safe for sure.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I do this drive regularly, which chargers gave you concern?

this certainly can be an issue, I have charged at a few very dodgy locations, all you can do is sit in the car with the doors locked and hope the charging goes quickly.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I mean, I don't feel 'safe' at most gas stations after 9pm either. Google "gas station crime <Your city>" and I bet you get a dozen or so articles and that the vast majority of them are about events happening late at night. We'll see if EV Charging eventually does anything to impact that over the long run.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I mean, I don't feel 'safe' at most gas stations after 9pm either. Google "gas station crime <Your city>" and I bet you get a dozen or so articles and that the vast majority of them are about events happening late at night. We'll see if EV Charging eventually does anything to impact that over the long run.
I agree that gas stations can be dangerous places but you are not locked in to a gas pump for extended time like you are when charging and there aren't multiple options for charging like there are for fueling a car.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I don't like being out at night in general, too many crazies out and there's more opportunity for trouble with fewer people out and about. At the very least it's harder to see obstacles on the road. Nowadays, I generally try to get home by 1 AM or just leave early in the morning.

Deleted member 7736

Wasn't this at the Target across the parking lot rather than at the EA station?
Agree - the linked article doesn't say anything about EA or that the man was charging an EV. This is just a story about a guy that was shot in a parking lot in Bakersfield. That said, I've had to charge at an EA station in a Walmart parking lot late at night when on a road trip. They seem to put the charging stations as far away from the store as possible, and they're poorly lit at night so this one was surrounded by cars that have clearly been there for a while and had people sleeping in them. The whole area was littered with trash that had not been cleaned up in a long time. Not the most reassuring place to be sitting in your car charging for 20-30 minutes. I think this goes to the whole discussion about maintenance of EA charging stations, and ensuring that they're not only operational but safe to use at any time of day or night.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Pack heat…I get panhandled at the Fort Lauderdale Walmart Electrify America virtually every time I go there, not a great area. I have opted to drive north to Deerfield Beach to a Target….I only charge during the day though.

One other thought, since they (EA) have secured the Porsche/VW/Audi EV Charging contract why don’t they drop in a charging station at every Porsche Dealership. Our dealership has chargers, but you have to jump through hoops to use them. It would also be a great tutorial piece for new buyers as well as ensuring all connections are a go at delivery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quest786

Quest786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Tesla Model X
Country flag
Agree - the linked article doesn't say anything about EA or that the man was charging an EV. This is just a story about a guy that was shot in a parking lot in Bakersfield. That said, I've had to charge at an EA station in a Walmart parking lot late at night when on a road trip. They seem to put the charging stations as far away from the store as possible, and they're poorly lit at night so this one was surrounded by cars that have clearly been there for a while and had people sleeping in them. The whole area was littered with trash that had not been cleaned up in a long time. Not the most reassuring place to be sitting in your car charging for 20-30 minutes. I think this goes to the whole discussion about maintenance of EA charging stations, and ensuring that they're not only operational but safe to use at any time of day or night.
More info is in the news video on the same page. The victim was charging his Model Y at the EA charging station which is close to Target. He was found outside his vehicle shot multiple times. The motive not clear so far.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I actually do think that this is something of a safety issue that ideally should be addressed in the future. Out of Spec Reviews details this as well - the fact is that EV charging is more often in unoccupied areas for longer periods of time, where your car is locked to the charger. Gas stations can already be sketchy in the evening in certain areas, so EV chargers are an exacerbation of the problem, particularly given the cars (esp what we drive) are more expensive

Out of Spec has recently made a video on this as well

For now barring any solutions from charger and car companies, we should try to mitigate risk by doing our best to avoid charging after dark and/or in isolated areas. To be honest, this is a pretty specific use case anyways, as most people should be at home after dark, and thus can charge at home. In general, people should avoid filling up gas as well after dark for the same reason if they can avoid it

I know that some don't have at home charging (particularly tesla owners), but in its current iteration EVs are best for those with home charging. On road trips, you can try to plan to top up during the day instead of the evenings as much as possible. Unless you're driving through the night, most people would stop at a hotel to sleep, in which you can also plan to charge in the morning after.

Secondarily, if you do find yourself charging at night, might be worth to see if you can pop inside a shop or building while waiting. Not to armchair quarterback, but if this Tesla owner had gone inside Target (which closed at 10pm, he was found at 9pm), it probably wouldn't have happened. Same thing, can go wait inside a gas station store if the EV charger is attached to it. While gas station convenience stores can also be sketchy, it's easier to pay attention your surroundings and react, vs. sitting in a parked car where you are in a much more vulnerable position (no routes of escape)

Finally, and of course last resort, for those of us US based, carrying self defense tools like a CCW is a good option if you are trained, willing and capable to do so. Ideally you want to avoid conflict by avoiding bad areas and situations at all possible, but if you are proficient, it's good to have a last resort option to defend yourself

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wait, so someone was shot at night in a public space? I find it laughable that people are surprised that their would be crime at EV charging stations, particularly at night, and that this is something that could be 'solved'. Do you know how much crime occurs at gas stations at night in this country. Answer: a shitload. Do you routinely pull into empty gas stations in sketchy locations at night? I don't and they even have cashier's/attendants, which EV charging stations lack.

If you go out at night in this country and stop in relatively empty public places, you may be a victim of a crime. Shocking I know.