WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
If you are using the Porsche free charging, the best thing to do is use the "Charging NA" app, (green icon), it works 100% of the time. Both Porsche connect apps (old and new) are glitchy, the Charging NA seems to be flawless. Open app, pull into charger slot (it will map you to an EA charging station as well), plug your car in, and select the charger number from the list and hit "start charging".

so, find EA charging station on app, plug car in, pick charger you are at on app, hit "start charging" and done. EA and Porsche tell you to use the Porsche app, my Porsche rep, and head tech guy at my dealer said always use the Charging NA app. It's works for me, I'm taking a road trip this weekend, a few hundred miles, I'll post if there are issues. Btw, Charging NA is only for Porsche, it is tagged to your user profile and car.
I've taken four roadtrips in my MY20 4S from Boston to Durham, NC and have also had good luck with the "Charging NA" app. That's my go to charging app. I'll move to the new My Porsche app only after they remove the Charging NA app from the app store.
Sponsored

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you are using the Porsche free charging, the best thing to do is use the "Charging NA" app, (green icon), it works 100% of the time. Both Porsche connect apps (old and new) are glitchy, the Charging NA seems to be flawless. Open app, pull into charger slot (it will map you to an EA charging station as well), plug your car in, and select the charger number from the list and hit "start charging".

so, find EA charging station on app, plug car in, pick charger you are at on app, hit "start charging" and done. EA and Porsche tell you to use the Porsche app, my Porsche rep, and head tech guy at my dealer said always use the Charging NA app. It's works for me, I'm taking a road trip this weekend, a few hundred miles, I'll post if there are issues. Btw, Charging NA is only for Porsche, it is tagged to your user profile and car.
This is pretty much what my dealers tech guy has told me, so I will use this app and put the myporsche app on our other phone to cover all bases.

make sure you have a Porsche internet Login and the dealer sets up you car so you can login to the Porsche network on your car PCM dash panel. There is a green overhead LED light [above the rear view mirror] that should be lite. All this will activate the "Plug & Charge" feature for EA chargers. In the charging ICON there is an option to further activate the plug & charge feature. When you pull up to an EA charger and plug in it should take off all by itself.
I didn't know that, and of course dealer did not check that so will try and set it up myself! Thanks! Lots of options to try!

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
This is pretty much what my dealers tech guy has told me, so I will use this app and put the myporsche app on our other phone to cover all bases.

I didn't know that, and of course dealer did not check that so will try and set it up myself! Thanks! Lots of options to try!
Porsche of Ocala set mine up, so contact them if needed.

OP
OP

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Quick update on the plug and charge. I tried three different AE charger locations in town and they all worked as soon I plugged in. no need to mess up with the app. By the way I select the plug&play option in the pcm few weeks ago.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

Just for ref:

I have never once used either app to initiate a free PnC session - have had flawless experiences with 6 EA stations to date, using certain stations multiple times, from San Antonio to Houston.

I simply pull up to a charger, plug it in and the charger establishes the connection, validates my free charge and begins - I have absolutely nothing to do in this process.

I use the current MyPorsche app to check charge status if away from the car (there is always a slight lag btw on reported SoC) but only to do that and that alone i.e. when I get back to the car I simply end the charging session at the car (button in the car's plug-in area), return the plug/cable to the charger and drive off.

So TBH not exactly sure why you are needing to go through the steps of choosing a charger etc in the app but perhaps true plug and play or PnC is not operating as it should in your network?

I do expect to have to use the app specifically at EA stations once my free PnC contract is up in three years but not before then.

Apologies if I have missed something obvious here?
Cheers, C.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Just for ref:

I have never once used either app to initiate a free PnC session - have had flawless experiences with 6 EA stations to date, using certain stations multiple times, from San Antonio to Houston.

I simply pull up to a charger, plug it in and the charger establishes the connection, validates my free charge and begins - I have absolutely nothing to do in this process.

I use the current MyPorsche app to check charge status if away from the car (there is always a slight lag btw on reported SoC) but only to do that and that alone i.e. when I get back to the car I simply end the charging session at the car (button in the car's plug-in area), return the plug/cable to the charger and drive off.

So TBH not exactly sure why you are needing to go through the steps of choosing a charger etc in the app but perhaps true plug and play or PnC is not operating as it should in your network?

I do expect to have to use the app specifically at EA stations once my free PnC contract is up in three years but not before then.

Cheers, C.
One should not need a cellphone on hand to use Plug and Charge, if it's properly set up. It sounds from this that you do not, in fact, need a cellphone with you. But then how does the EA charging station know your account? Is some digital information passed to the charging station that tells EA the vehicle VIN (or some other identification) to connect with your account as established online with Porsche Connect?

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just for ref:

Cheers, C.
I wish mine worked like that but it doesn't. Maybe because you have a 2022 and I have the 2021? I have all the settings correct in the pcm, but plug and charge just does not function as it should. Even a reboot hasn't helped. Thanks for the info tho. Fortunately, I only need outside charging rarely as 99% is done at home. Have an upcoming appt at dealer to set up my 2nd key fob so maybe they can take a look at it then.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I wish mine worked like that but it doesn't. Maybe because you have a 2022 and I have the 2021? I have all the settings correct in the pcm, but plug and charge just does not function as it should. Even a reboot hasn't helped. Thanks for the info tho. Fortunately, I only need outside charging rarely as 99% is done at home. Have an upcoming appt at dealer to set up my 2nd key fob so maybe they can take a look at it then.
This article says 2021 should have plug and charge but thought I read one charger port didn't support PnC. https://www.engadget.com/porsche-taycan-2021-030224656.html.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can’t recall but wasn’t there a SW update/recall for 2021’s on this - guessing you already have this?

Also PNC only relevant to one port the one for DC charging on the RHS.
Not sure what updates or patches I have, but I guess it won't hurt to ask, other than a few hours longer wait lol. I agree about the DC port tho.

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag