Electrify America network expansion -- Arizona and I-40

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I was checking the Electrify America website today and saw three new future locations in Arizona and California along I-40. There are 3 pending locations in Needles, CA, Kingman, AZ, and Williams, AZ. This will complete I-40, so it will be possible to drive across northern Arizona to California. The Kingman location will also open the Phoenix to Las Vegas route since that is a common road trip for people in the Phoenix area.
Sponsored

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was checking the Electrify America website today and saw three new future locations in Arizona and California along I-40. There are 3 pending locations in Needles, CA, Kingman, AZ, and Williams, AZ. This will complete I-40, so it will be possible to drive across northern Arizona to California. The Kingman location will also open the Phoenix to Las Vegas route since that is a common road trip for people in the Phoenix area.
I also checked today out of curiosity about Northern California routes (up to Oregon) and was surprised that there are a lot more chargers and a lot more pending chargers than I remember. Still very sparse in Montana, I wonder if that is demand driven or some thing about regulations in Montana. Was thinking about driving up there for some sight seeing.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also checked today out of curiosity about Northern California routes (up to Oregon) and was surprised that there are a lot more chargers and a lot more pending chargers than I remember. Still very sparse in Montana, I wonder if that is demand driven or some thing about regulations in Montana. Was thinking about driving up there for some sight seeing.

I think Electrify America reviews highway traffic patterns, and EV ownership statistics, in a certain region as key criteria on where to put chargers. This explains why there are no EA chargers in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, or South Dakota. Honestly, I am surprised that EA has not put chargers across I-80 across Wyoming since this is a major east-west route.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
Finally coming on the Olympic Peninsula at Port Angeles.

Tough to head West of Portland and cruise along the Oregon coast, or West of Seattle to do a Peninsula cruise at the moment, unless you bring along a zillion packs of D cell batteries...

Great to see some expansion!

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just updating this thread since there was an announcement over the weekend sharing that EA will put 5 stations in more rural parts of Arizona on behalf of Arizona Public Service Co - the utility company.

Once Kingman and Quartzite are open, and these recently announced locations are live, it will be possible to get and from all corners of Arizona in a CCS compatible EV..

Here are the details of the recent announcement:

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/127

Good news for a state that needs coverage. Hopefully, a CCS charger between Albuquerque and El Paso is on the horizon as well.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I noticed a similarity to the initial rollout of the tesla network. the EA placement mimics the tesla locations

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I think Electrify America reviews highway traffic patterns, and EV ownership statistics, in a certain region as key criteria on where to put chargers. This explains why there are no EA chargers in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, or South Dakota. Honestly, I am surprised that EA has not put chargers across I-80 across Wyoming since this is a major east-west route.
There are some routes like these that, given enough available time, one could hop onto Amtrak and use car rental/Uber to get around at your destination area (maybe rent a Taycan?)

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are some routes like these that, given enough available time, one could hop onto Amtrak and use car rental/Uber to get around at your destination area (maybe rent a Taycan?)

I totally get where you are coming from, but I live in Denver, so taking the Amtrak to Arizona is not possible - I would have to drive south 200 miles to catch the Southwest Chief in Trinidad, CO. Plus, I want to drive my Taycan, bring my road bike, and bring the things I need for my home office to remain productive for work.

Unfortunately, the State of New Mexico is lagging in expanding the CCS charging network compared to its mountain neighbors - Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. There is nothing between Albq. and Deming, so easy driving to southern Arizona through New Mexico on I-25 is not going to happen for a non-Tesla. The only way is taking I-40 from Albuquerque and then taking a left at Winslow, AZ to head south through the PHX metro area. That, frankly, just sucks.

You are in the 505, so you will figure this out once you get your car in April. I love to road trip - something I have done frequently over the past year in my Cayenne and Taycan, depending on what I have planned. I was in White Sands a couple of weeks and rode my gravel bike through the park in 75 degree weather. There was not a cloud in the sky, and it was amazing.

I would love to do that in my Taycan sometime instead of my Cayenne.

Porsche Taycan Electrify America network expansion --  Arizona and I-40 IMG_0527

In the meantime, if you see a Frozen Blue Taycan 4s parked at Los Cuates, it is me picking up food while driving through Albq!!!

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I totally get where you are coming from, but I live in Denver, so taking the Amtrak to Arizona is not possible - I would have to drive south 200 miles to catch the Southwest Chief in Trinidad, CO. Plus, I want to drive my Taycan, bring my road bike, and bring the things I need for my home office to remain productive for work.

Unfortunately, the State of New Mexico is lagging in expanding the CCS charging network compared to its mountain neighbors - Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. There is nothing between Albq. and Deming, so easy driving to southern Arizona through New Mexico on I-25 is not going to happen for a non-Tesla. The only way is taking I-40 from Albuquerque and then taking a left at Winslow, AZ to head south through the PHX metro area. That, frankly, just sucks.

You are in the 505, so you will figure this out once you get your car in April. I love to road trip - something I have done frequently over the past year in my Cayenne and Taycan, depending on what I have planned. I was in White Sands a couple of weeks and rode my gravel bike through the park in 75 degree weather. There was not a cloud in the sky, and it was amazing.

I would love to do that in my Taycan sometime instead of my Cayenne.

IMG_0527.jpg

In the meantime, if you see a Frozen Blue Taycan 4s parked at Los Cuates, it is me picking up food while driving through Albq!!!
White Sands is so much fun to climb, jump, slide around!

I have not tried my bike there, but maybe my Fro-Zen Blue Taycan and my gravel e-bike will head down there this spring/summer and try it out. I was into road bicycling ,too, in my youth and middle age, but now it's just e-biking with an upright posture.

I know what you mean about the lack of stations here and the lack of North-South Amtrak routes in the Mountain West. I've been keeping track of the charging station maps, and it's pretty sparse here. Fortunately, steps are under way to make sure the stations get installed, and that EV use increases with good backing from the state. We'll see how well we can do here.

I often pick up Los Cuates food for meals with a friend who lives nearby, so don't be too surprised if you see another Taycan when you are stopping there.

Last edited:

B_TaycanTurbo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just updating this thread since there was an announcement over the weekend sharing that EA will put 5 stations in more rural parts of Arizona on behalf of Arizona Public Service Co - the utility company.

Once Kingman and Quartzite are open, and these recently announced locations are live, it will be possible to get and from all corners of Arizona in a CCS compatible EV..

Here are the details of the recent announcement:

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/127

Good news for a state that needs coverage. Hopefully, a CCS charger between Albuquerque and El Paso is on the horizon as well.
We are definitely looking forward that that Kingman station coming online. Anything south of Albuquerque would be great too but we haven't driven that direction very often. Made the drive from NM to Las Vegas, Nevada numerous times and that Kingman station would be just what we needed to start using the Taycan for those drives.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Per Plugshare, the EA Quartzite and Kingman locations should be open sometime in the very near future. Looks like contraction is done, and just waiting for approval from the utility company to turn on power. It should be possible to do PHX to Vegas with a charging stop stop in Kingman during the hot summer months if you keep the speeds under control and the AC at a reasonable level.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got the EA notice, now open.

That is great news. Now, let's get the Quartzsite site open and then figure out a location south of Albuquerque to be able to reach I-10 and then we are where we need to be in the Southwestern part of the country.