TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
They should also charge double if you use a charging station that can charge faster than your car can accept when a more appropriate charger is available. That might begin to address the Leaf/etc. owners needlessly charging at the 350 kw stations.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
a welcomed upgrade, now there could be some education offered for the new EV owners on which level that should be using.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Why, oh why, didn't they make the 150 kW and 350 kW labels different colors? They are almost indistinguishable from each other at a distance (like when you're trying to ID the 350 unit). Not an improvement.
I already lost track of which is faster, "Hyper" or "Ultra."

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I already lost track of which is faster, "Hyper" or "Ultra."
They missed the opportunity to go retro ala Spinaltap

Porsche Taycan Electrify America - Redesigned labels coming to charging stations D57B4E4A-B417-4385-8830-450037199C92

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
A much more needed change would be to change the LED lights from green to smth else for stations that are not in service... so that you wouldn't drive up, and only then see the red bricks on the screen.

But of course, they won't do it, because of the "optics"... too embarassing to admit their failures.

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
a welcomed upgrade, now there could be some education offered for the new EV owners on which level that should be using.
Now Nissan Leafs will rush to 350 kW stations thinking they will charge faster. Not exactly what EA intended.

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
Just a question for those who get annoyed with ev drivers that use a 350…is it the expectation that they should wait for the 150 to open? And how does this waiting situation work?
I ask bc I take whatever is open. There’s like a line of 3-5 cars waiting and I’m just happy if people don’t cut in front of me after I’ve waited 30 mins. And then what about the 350 that is really only charging at 120-150kwh…is it fair to say that someone shouldn’t use that when it doesn’t even give 350?

I’m just confused on how the whole process would work if you limited people by their charge speed. I have a taycan and a mache, My experience in the taycan is negative bc a lot of people don’t know it’s an ev (polestar drivers) and they tend to just cut in front of me as I wait. And I think I’d be mad if I was in my mache and someone told me to wait longer bc I can’t charge as fast as them. Only for the 350 to barely give 120 kWh anyways.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a question for those who get annoyed with ev drivers that use a 350…is it the expectation that they should wait for the 150 to open? And how does this waiting situation work?
I ask bc I take whatever is open. There’s like a line of 3-5 cars waiting and I’m just happy if people don’t cut in front of me after I’ve waited 30 mins. And then what about the 350 that is really only charging at 120-150kwh…is it fair to say that someone shouldn’t use that when it doesn’t even give 350?

I’m just confused on how the whole process would work if you limited people by their charge speed. I have a taycan and a mache, My experience in the taycan is negative bc a lot of people don’t know it’s an ev (polestar drivers) and they tend to just cut in front of me as I wait. And I think I’d be mad if I was in my mache and someone told me to wait longer bc I can’t charge as fast as them. Only for the 350 to barely give 120 kWh anyways.
If they have no choice but to use 350, then fine.

But, honestly, every single time I have charged, there has been an EV that cannot accept 350 using 350 (often so that it is not available to me) when there are multiple, empty 150s available. When I inquire, most don’t even understand that issue or why I would care.

they should introduce an online waiting line for particular systems that automatically manages who charges where and in what order. When you get your notice, you have 5 minutes to plug in or the person behind you can jump you in line. If you try to cut, it will not let you charge

Last edited:

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Man! So sorry to hear this story. SoCal is so much more crowded and I can see that your situation is a harbinger of what to expect in other regions as EV ownership increases.

Over the years I've learned that people will do the right thing if you make it clear what the process/rules are. We're still in the Wild West of charging, and so lot's of unfortunate behaviors will occur such as cutting in line, overstaying your charge, just parking there since you are an EV, etc.

We really need to re-think the EV charging experience. My suggestions include --
  • Station Purpose - Identify the purpose of the station. Is it DC on CCS connectors or CHAdeMO? Put the different plug types in separate areas.
  • Identical Capacity- Install chargers at a single station with IDENTICAL capacity - all 350KW, or all 150KW.
    • Drop the 50KW altogether. What is the point unless all the stations are 50KW?
    • The key here is when you pull up you'll get up to the limit of that charger AND that station (if all chargers are in use you'll probably not get maximum charge anyway since the station is itself limited to a certain level of power)
  • Overtime Penalty - Once charging has completed, increase the rate to $2-$3/min. That way someone who let's their car sit fully charged and walks away has to pay for that privilege.
  • Single Line Queueing - We need to reconfigure charging stations so that there is a single line queue. That way everyone knows where they are in the line and can decide how to proceed (e.g., give up and go either home or somewhere else to charge).
    • This last point means that charging sites will have to get much bigger, but that makes sense to me. We can't expect to have simply 4 stations at EA the way we do today.
    • Here is an example of a 50 station Tesla Supercharger station - this is the future in my mind.
      Porsche Taycan Electrify America - Redesigned labels coming to charging stations img_20180126_150940-e1516970285650-1234148861
  • Ticketing the Jerks - There needs to be an option to ticket people who park in charging spaces but are not connected. My suggestion is that there is an App created by EA (or whoever) that allows you to report this car/person via the app, and include a photo for proof. EA would then issue a charge to that person OR if they are not in the EA system, report them to the local police to issue a ticket for illegal parking.
    • To make this work you also need to remove the option to connect to a charger but not actually do any charging (say you don't have an account with EA).
    • I think this issue can be resolved by changing the color on the EA screen to RED with the words "NOT CHARGING" readily visible. Then someone can use the ticketing option described above.
These are just suggestions, and I think all of you can improve on these. Ultimately I hope something like these suggestions are implemented so using an EV charger is as routine as pulling into a gas station (albeit a bit longer stop).

Last edited:

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Why, oh why, didn't they make the 150 kW and 350 kW labels different colors? They are almost indistinguishable from each other at a distance (like when you're trying to ID the 350 unit). Not an improvement.
What's wrong with you? Did you not notice the very small amount of yellow in the middle of the new "Ultra" sticker? :facepalm:
Sponsored