Email from Porsche: Mobile Charger current set to 50% as a precaution -- - utter BS - OMG they don't think they have a problem…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche blaming the victim - they still don't think they have a design problem…the problem according to is _NOT_ their crappy 10 AWG power supply cable - but rather my "poor" household wiring…

This notice applies to your vehicle: WP1AH2AYXMDXXXXX
Dear [name],

This is a reminder that Porsche is conducting a campaign to adjust the current setting on your Porsche Mobile Charger to 50%, affix a new warning label, and provide a new Owner’s Manual Supplement. The attached Q & A document aims to answer the most common questions you may have as an owner of a Porsche Taycan or Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV). There is also a link at the end of this email where you can download an electronic copy of the Owner’s Manual Supplement.

What is the issue?
There is no defect in your vehicle or the mobile charger. However, Porsche is aware that due to electrical wiring system limitations in some households, high temperatures can occur in the outlet (receptacle) when charging your vehicle, sometimes resulting in heat damage to the electrical outlet and plug.

What will Porsche do?
While your residence may not be affected, out of abundance of caution, and to help prevent this from occurring, Porsche is setting the current setting on your Porsche Mobile Charger to 50% as a one-time operation. This free operation also includes a new warning label and an Owner’s Manual Supplement.

Why did you make this change?
We made the setting change out of abundance of caution, and to help prevent electrical outlet heat damage.

Is there something wrong with my vehicle?
NO. There is nothing wrong with your Porsche Taycan or PHEV. The campaign is to help prevent damage to a household electrical system that, in some cases, may be inadequate.

Is there something wrong with my Mobile Charger?
NO. There is nothing wrong with your Porsche Mobile Charger. The campaign is to help prevent damage to household electrical system that, in some cases, may be inadequate.

Can I go back to charging at 100%?
YES. You can choose to charge at 100%. However, we recommend the electrical outlet you use to charge your Porsche is inspected by an electrician.

Do I need to charge my vehicle using a 220-volt outlet?
YES. Porsche highly recommends charging from a 220-volt outlet. This is the industry norm for EVs.

What charging outlet/receptacle do you recommend?
An industrial grade receptacle from Hubbell, e.g. HBL9450A = NEMA 14-50 Receptacle (4-prong) *or* Hubbell HBL9367 = NEMA 6-50 Receptacle (3-prong).

Why does my Mobile Charger Connect default to 50% even after I adjust it back to 100%?
If your charger goes into “Sleep Mode” or if you unplug it, then it will default to 50%. If you deactivate sleep mode and leave your charger plugged in, then it will remain at 100%. We are working on a further software update that will allow the charger to stay at your chosen setting after going to sleep and after unplugging it.

What should you do?
If you have not done so already, please have an electrician inspect the electrical outlet you use to charge your Porsche to make sure it is of sufficient quality. Porsche recommends installing a Hubbell 220-volt receptacle to charge your vehicle.

Porsche does not recommend using 110–volt outlets to regularly charge your vehicle. This is the industry norm for EVs.

If your household electrical system is of sufficient quality, you can change your Porsche Mobile Charger current setting to 100%.

Please contact your local Porsche dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to have your vehicle’s mobile charger updated at NO CHARGE TO YOU.
Sponsored

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Porsche blaming the victim - they still don't think they have a design problem…the problem according to is _NOT_ their crappy 10 AWG power supply cable - but rather my "poor" household wiring…
Got the same email. I use my Tesla 220 v EVSE with a TeslaTap adapter (thanks to your advice DaveO) My question is the sentence saying not to use 110 v outlets.
Does this mean is I’m say visiting a relatives house I cannot use the 110 to trickle charge?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got the same email. I use my Tesla 220 v EVSE with a TeslaTap adapter (thanks to your advice DaveO) My question is the sentence saying not to use 110 v outlets.
Does this mean is I’m say visiting a relatives house I cannot use the 110 to trickle charge?
Porsche no longer recommends 120V L1 charging for normal use - please see their latest official announcement on this issue…

the original NTSB URL and PDF are attached to this the referred thread so you don't have to take my word for it…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From the "manual" attached to the letter:
Porsche Taycan Email from Porsche: Mobile Charger current set to 50% as a precaution --  - utter BS - OMG they don't think they have a problem… 1673031201228

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Complete BS blaming the outlets. It's the cable between the EVSE and car.

I changed everything BUT the outlet (EVSE, car) and it's working flawlessly at 40 amps.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Porsche no longer recommends 120V L1 charging for normal use - please see their latest official announcement on this issue…

the original NTSB URL and PDF are attached to this the referred thread so you don't have to take my word for it…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-related-porsche-ntsb-article-analysis.13902/
Thanks DaveO for the thorough response as usual. Seems like Porsche should just have us return the 120v plug if Level 1 is potentially hazardous.

abatis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have been using my Porsche Charger on a 6-50 50 amp outlet installed by professional electrician for my welder. I have had zero issue with heating or any of that. Even though I think my current set up is good I am going to change the receptacle to the specified Hubbell 6-50 and absolutely will not change the charger programming. I do have a Mustart but bought that for traveling. They should have at least sent a credit for a Hubbel outlet since their engineers missed the boat on US residential 220-240V wiring designed mainly for electric dryers and ovens.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
to be fair - Porsche's recommendation (and other EV vendors) to use a Hubble Commercial quality socket is 100% spot on - excellent advise and should be followed.

In this aspect of this situation 100% follow Porsche's advice in this space.

Porsche Taycan Email from Porsche: Mobile Charger current set to 50% as a precaution --  - utter BS - OMG they don't think they have a problem… Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 11.22.06 AM

the $12 Leviton stuff (or equivalent) simply is not rated or up to the task for multiple hour continuous load at high amps…

I don't care _WHO_ makes your EVSE - you should invest in the high quality Hubble (or equivalent) sockets - it's well worth it to avoid potential problems.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10222530-0001.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Utterly ridiculous and shameful behavior from a company which used to have a stellar reputation. Sigh…

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag