TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
Perhaps it is just me, but I usually open my doors, trunk and frunk after going through a wash and wipe-down the jams and excess water via micro-towel.

However, when I open the trunk, it continues to pour soapy water out of the 'top' of where the spoiler pivots. It is not just a little, but this keeps producing this for 10's of minutes. This drains into the trunk jam and flows behind a plastic cover half-way down and goes.....somewhere?

I also have this problem after driving in the rain, coming home, parking for 12-24hrs. The rest of the car is dry, then I open the trunk to put in a bag to leave and it starts leaking as above.

I have tried having the spoiler up (cleaning position) when washing (touch-free), tried only raising up the spoiler when going through the forced air dryer at the end of the session, etc. This seems to be collecting an excess amount of water that does not drain unless the trunk is opened and you wait for 10's of minutes.

So, not the end of the world in the summer/fall/spring. However, it got me thinking about winter melt/freeze cycles and if there is any potential for damage with that much water sitting 'somewhere' and it either continuing to just 'sit' and/or it freeze and expand and cause issues.

Am I the only one that has noticed this and is concerned about it?
Sponsored

maudasilva

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
No, you are not the only one. Every time I wash the car I place towels below the tips of the truck lid to avoid (soapy) water getting into the trunk. I am not sure if this has a fix.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
This shouldn't happen.
I suggest you take it to the dealer and let them fix it.
There is some water that comes out but not that much like you described.

OP
OP
TycanNewHampshire

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
just to clarify, I believe it is designed this way, the water goes into the outer-part of the trunk (outside of the rubber seal, but in the 'trough' from the rear quarter panels).
I do not think this is a unique issue to mine, but it is a design component. All should have the same happen after a wash. Open the trunk and it will pour out from the bottom of the spoiler and drip onto the rear quarter panels and into the trough.
Nothing in the actual inside of the trunk gets wet.
It is just more of a question/concern due to, if I don't open the trunk, the water actually stays (wherever it collects) and will drip down when opened for at least 12-24 hours.
Once the trunk is open and the water comes out the crease closest to the front of the car from the spoiler, the water that drips down into the trough of the trunk (again, on the outside of the seal, where it is meant to be exposed to some elements and not sealed dry), there is a plastic piece that curves up to the inside of the rear lights. If you put your finger toward the top, you will notice a small gap....this allows all the water to channel down and behind this. I just don't know where it exits?

I hope that helps to clarify.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Mine does the same and I have just taken to putting two small towels and leaving the trunk open after I wash it for a while.

OP
OP
TycanNewHampshire

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
was afraid of this....needs to be fixed with new MY enhancements!

Worried this will cause spoiler to crack/freeze shut in the winter.
Sponsored