Enough Complaining, Let's talk about what we love about the Taycan and why we bought it.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Driving the Taycan is sublime - smooth instantaneous power and tight cornering on curvy roads. Best driving car I have owned. Great styling. Looking aside the first model glitches.

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Driving an EV is an insanely fun experience. Once you go EV it's very hard to go back. I still can't believe how good of a car an EV can be. I mean it's a very simple contraption, a battery hooked to an electric motor. And yet it delivers better performance than a Ferrari, more comfort than an S-Class etc. Really fascinating stuff.

And when you're in the market for EV's and looking for a premium one, Taycan is pretty much your only choice. Tesla's are cool with all that performance and tech gadgets, but it's a pretty shitty car when you think about it. Build quality is shit, materials are shit... I can't live with a car like that, I need to feel good when I sit in my car. Especially after paying $100k+ on a car...

To summarize why I chose the Taycan over others:

- It's a Porsche. Only a few manufacturers can compete with the build quality, driving characteristics and reliability of a Porsche.

- It's the best looking Porsche of all times (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that's how I feel about it's design, it's just gorgeous)

- It's the best handling EV currently in the market.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I mean it's a very simple contraption, a battery hooked to an electric motor.
I think you’re missing a piece. The battery is DC. The motor is 3-phase AC. There’s an inverter that pulses the output voltage to create 3 RMS voltage sine waves (120 deg out of phase on each phase). The motor stator is wound such that the 3 RMS voltage sine waves generate a rotating magnetic field inside the motor (which turns the rotor). The inverter modulates the RMS voltage and output frequency for final motor control.

Video link below for basic explanation with visuals. On the Taycan, the battery acts as the DC bus. The section on a generator can help with basics of how the regenerative braking works. The section on the rectifier can help with basics for how the AC charger works.

The video does not get into motor control or tuning or PM vs induction, so there’s a lot more beyond this. But I think “simple contraption, battery hooked to motor” is an oversimplification.

Scott Allen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, 2017 Range Rover HSE, 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396
Country flag
June 2020 Turbo. About 5000 miles now.
Styling is awesome! Truly a beautiful car!
Fit and finish is great
Interior is very well done.
performance is a blast!
My first EV (4th Porsche) and I love not going to a gas station.
Charging at EA stations is really fast. 20 minutes 35% to 85%
It's a Porsche!

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan 4S, Audi e-tron, Chrysler Town&Country
Country flag
The drive
The look
The looks!
The acceleration
The sound (sport and audio)
The drive (yes that's intentional)
Best car I've ever driven. Period.
Yeah, pretty much this for me as well.

RobbieRed

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan cross tourismo
Country flag
I had a Macan in 2015 which was £65k (a lot of money for me) - loved it’s looks but was disappointed with performance and binned it after 2 years)
Downsized into a VW Tiguan r line. The dealer could not believe how “meh” I was when I picked it up. Simply a workhorse that did nothing for me.
Been looking for a high end EV but needed an estate for dogs, golf clubs, my life.
Wanted a Taycan but it has a boot so couldn’t do it.
When the CT Taycan came out I nearly wet myself - the reviews. The looks. Etc
Went on test drive and haven’t laughed as much for years.
The financial outcome is simply mind blowing (people think I’m lying when I tell them)
Was paying £525 per month for the Tiguan as a private car.
The Taycan (at 100k to buy) works out about £80 per month more expensive for me as I can put it through my business where the BIK benefits are incredible
It seems too good to be true. But it isn’t.

I was told Aug 13 for mine. Last week got the call to tell me delayed until OCT.

I have never been this excited about a car. I feel like I did when I was 8 waiting for Father Christmas!!!!
Sponsored