DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Come on, how likely is it, that in a year or two suddenly all new EVs on the market come out with a miracle battery, which has twice the capacity and half the weight. Such breakthroughs are extremely rare and even if there is a shift to a new battery technology the first version will likely to be hardly much better than the on you have purchased now.

Let's not forget, the reviews of people who have driven the Taycan are very good. The orders are flooding in, Porsche wants to produce more, but might have problems ramping up production. Therefore it could well be that the price of the car is extremely stable.
I hope you are correct but I have no doubt Porsche will continue to improve battery efficiency without sacrificing the Porsche DNA.
See: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...rs-are-emphasizing-efficiency-more-than-ever/

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here's a nice explanation of the choice of methods in EPA range testing: https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-porsche-taycan-turbos-epa-range-is-so-bad-1840444842
What this article does not explain is how a Tesla P100D like mine can get an EPA rating of 315 miles. If this takes a cold cycle into consideration the car should have a similar range of around 200 miles because that is what mine achieves in Winter. If I drive at the UK speed limits in perfect conditions, it will do no more than 250 miles max. I have owned two Model S and there is no way on Earth that either car could do the the EPA range. Its a joke.

I am confident when we get the Taycan into the real world, it will show up the EPA tests for being completely untrustworthy.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Until we get our hands on one and test the limit of range we won't know, but doesn't keep me from being hopeful, the same hopeful when the mules first came out and except for the concept wheels, love the car

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Until we get our hands on one and test the limit of range we won't know, but doesn't keep me from being hopeful, the same hopeful when the mules first came out and except for the concept wheels, love the car
Exactly! This video is unfortunately only in German but it compares the MX100D to the Audi e-tron SUV. No bias. Lot of tests and numbers! The short story, the net battery capacity is quite different between these two SUVs. This explains the limited range of the Audi, but the efficiency particularly if you drive in the city with good amount of recuperation is practically the same.

So the overall technology in the Porsche Taycan regarding the drive train should be top notch! But again, the battery is only 93 kWh and you cannot charge it to 100%, right? The real limiting factor actually is the usable battery capacity. The "legacy" automakers seem to be quite conservative in order to limit battery degradation and warranty cases. Seems they simply lack experience how well these batteries hold up when in customers' hands.

As for the ability to do long distance traveling, perhaps worth to head over to https://abetterrouteplanner.com

Porsche Taycan EPA Taycan Turbo snip_20191219122653

I once did this trip in a Benz E class from 4:50 in the morning to 22:10 at night over 1737km. Quite surprisingly this trip would be almost the same with the Taycan according the this planner.

Last edited:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
But again, the battery is only 93 kWh and you cannot charge it to 100%, right? .
You can charge it to 100% any time you need that range.

It is just not recommended to do that on a daily basis.

No different than other EVs

One other reason it is not recommended on some cars for long trips is that there is a push to free up the chargers (e.g. charge up quickly and enough to get to the next charging location, vs. taking a lot long to charge at 100%). That goes against the original vision of take an hour or so to have a lunch and chill out. It is not have some fast food and free up the charger for the next person.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Here they compare all BEVs advertised for long distance traveling. They conclude Taycan is better than any other BEV on the market.

Porsche Taycan EPA Taycan Turbo snip_20191220095548

Source unfortunately only in German!

The "comparision range" window looks a bit odd and is not what I would typically use. But I think it shows, that the range of the Taycan should be quite acceptable.

alevek

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2019 Audi Etron Prestige
Country flag
I agree with everything you say except the snipe at the end........ have you ever driven a TESLA?....... considering you say boring............ it’s a different proposition but certainly not boring..... depending on the model. that, however, is true for almost every manufacturer..... even porsche, with the now defunct diesels......... just my two cents.
Nope, he's right. I had a Model S P85D and it was boring, handled like an old Oldsmobile, and had crappy interior. The only good thing was the scalding acceleration to 60, one time.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nope, he's right. I had a Model S P85D and it was boring, handled like an old Oldsmobile, and had crappy interior. The only good thing was the scalding acceleration to 60, one time.
I still think it’s ironic the model 3 performance is so much better a car than the model S. Still not a German sports car but it handles a lot better than the model S, and can launch multiple times.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I still think it’s ironic the model 3 performance is so much better a car than the model S. Still not a German sports car but it handles a lot better than the model S, and can launch multiple times.
not sure it’s ironic..... they certainly learnt a lot from the S and the X before building the 3..... it’s smaller lighter and more efficient through the air than the others and can therefore have a smaller pack (ie: lighter) than the S and still have similar straight-line performance but much better cornering. the only real problem for me is the build quality..... it’s the Ford Focus RS of EVs, quick fun to drive but not exciting to own....... traded my old S for it..... :) so my current drive.... will trade it in for my Taycan.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Didn't Musk say that they are just keeping the S around for sentimental reasons? There probably have been no big development programs except for the Raven so it isn't surprising that such an old car is getting old. Their short term future is the 3 and when the Y comes out it will shift to that.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Didn't Musk say that they are just keeping the S around for sentimental reasons? There probably have been no big development programs except for the Raven so it isn't surprising that such an old car is getting old. Their short term future is the 3 and when the Y comes out it will shift to that.
So, if you talk to most people, they’ll acknowledge the model 3 is superior in pretty much every way except 0-60 launch. The batteries, charging, and thermals are more advanced and it weighs 1000# less. The model 3 can actually finish a track lap.

and then everybody goes on comparing the taycan to the model S. Comparing to state of the art ... from 2016.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
and then everybody goes on comparing the taycan to the model S. Comparing to state of the art ... from 2016.
Probably because the quality of the 3 is not impressive and that spartan interior with the iPad is not for everyone. it is far closer to an econobox than a premium car...at premium car prices. The only thing the 3 and the Taycan have in common from a cross-shopping perspective is that they are EVs.

So, if you talk to most people, they’ll acknowledge the model 3 is superior in pretty much every way except 0-60 launch
Isn't the time at the Nurburgring far better on the S?

The model 3 can actually finish a track lap.
Do you have a recent update on that? Only thing I found from the summer was a 9 minute run during which the brakes were fading and throwing up warnings (at around 6 minutes).

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably because the quality of the 3 is not impressive and that spartan interior with the iPad is not for everyone. it is far closer to an econobox than a premium car...at premium car prices. The only thing the 3 and the Taycan have in common from a cross-shopping perspective is that they are EVs.
that’s equally true of the model S. The model 3 performance is much closer to the taycan than the model S.

Isn't the time at the Nurburgring far better on the S?
no production model S has ever dreamed of finishing the ‘Ring. The model S can’t handle Thunderhill or Leguna Seca. The ‘Ring time for a model S is from an early prototype for a maybe-2021 model.

Do you have a recent update on that? Only thing I found from the summer was a 9 minute run during which the brakes were fading and throwing up warnings (at around 6 minutes).
... there are innumerable examples. Randy Probst and Chris Harris have done it. Google will find tons and YouTube dash video. Hobbyists track these cars aggressively. It’s much faster than a BMW M3 but a bit heavier. It’s not my thing, but some folks have pushed the production cars (2018+ model 3 dual motor performance trim) hard. They can launch repeatedly like the taycan (which the model S cannot do). As with ice cars, if you’re going to track it for more than laughs, it needs track brakes and I’m told suspension upgrades.

here are a couple: And
Sponsored