Error during charging every 30-40 mins

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Since I brought the car in for its recall, I cannot charge the car for more than 30-40 mins at a time.

Does not matter what the timer or profile is set to. 40 mins is all I get and then it turns off.

The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect just says that charging is complete but the app says error during charging.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Hi,

I also have that error message quite often, at least since April 2020. The error appears independently on profiles and timers, I tested this. The error only shows up in the app or the car, never in the charger. I have reported this to my dealer and Porsche about a month ago with lots of pictures where it happened. So far no response.

I would recommend to take a picture when it happens and let your dealer create a ticket.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you disable all active profiles and timer (no need to delete them) and enable direct charge, and this error still happens, I'd look at your grid / AC stability. The charger could be sensitive, possibly to low voltage as a result of high current demand (possibly coupled with other high-current things such as compressor motors on the same grid starting up). With the PMCC, there are definitely grid-induced issues that will cause it to stop charging and latch into some sort of inactive state (without any sort of failure message) - removing grid power completely (unplugging it) and waiting about 30 seconds then plugging it back in solves this particular issue.

OP
OP
Litigator

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually, I suspect they need to reprogram the charger but I am waiting to see what happens when I bring the car in today. I do not believe for a minute it relates to the grid because I haven’t had any problems with the car at all since purchase with charging. This is the first time that there has been any issue. I suspect it’s related to the recall upgrade.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
This is definitely not a problem of the grid or electrical setup to the wallbox, but a bug in the On-Board-Charger itself.

In addition I have complete monitoring of the household energy usage, incl. batteries, solar etc. pp. There is no issue with the grid at any time when this happens. Also not I am in Germany with a 3-phase setup ;)

I also know that other Taycan owners here in Germany have the same issue.

If it would be a grid issue, the PMCC would also show an error (e.g. red light), but it doesn't. Only the car shows the error.

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 BMW228ix, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Since I brought the car in for its recall, I cannot charge the car for more than 30-40 mins at a time.

Does not matter what the timer or profile is set to. 40 mins is all I get and then it turns off.

The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect just says that charging is complete but the app says error during charging.

Anyone else have this issue?

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a similar problem. On my home System I could only charge for five to ten minutes then charging would stop. However there was no problem charging on fast DC charging systems. See my previous posts “Novel charging problem . . . “.
My Porsche dealership service department figured it out and replaced a malfunctioning part(solenoid?) that caused the charging process to shut down after charging for several minutes.

OP
OP
Litigator

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is definitely not a problem of the grid or electrical setup to the wallbox, but a bug in the On-Board-Charger itself.

In addition I have complete monitoring of the household energy usage, incl. batteries, solar etc. pp. There is no issue with the grid at any time when this happens. Also not I am in Germany with a 3-phase setup ;)

I also know that other Taycan owners here in Germany have the same issue.

If it would be a grid issue, the PMCC would also show an error (e.g. red light), but it doesn't. Only the car shows the error.
Ding ding. You win. There is a problem with the resistor and the plug. The PMCC is fine.

What I’ll need to look into is to whether the setup I have is somehow overheating the plug, but I trust the licensed electrician who installed the outlet.

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What was the final resolution to your charging problem?

OP
OP
Litigator

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What was the final resolution to your charging problem?
The problem had to do with the actual plug of the charging unit. Apparently there was a problem with one of the internal components that was not allowing the car to charge properly. There is no problem with the grid that I am aware of but I will be monitoring this carefully when I get the new plug. Interestingly enough the charger was not the issue.
Sponsored