EU mandating installing speed tracking hardware in all new cars (Autoblog)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I saw on YouTube a few months back that the US also passed an obscure regulation for automakers that does something similar. The way the YouTuber described it, it would give the authorities the ability to perform an override of your vehicle to bring it to a halt. If true, it’s certainly one of the downsides of new tech…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I saw on YouTube a few months back that the US also passed an obscure regulation for automakers that does something similar. The way the YouTuber described it, it would give the authorities the ability to perform an override of your vehicle to bring it to a halt. If true, it’s certainly one of the downsides of new tech…
ok who has the back door and how long until it’s not jus t authorities - omg this is bad!

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
The Taycan has what is described in that blog already. I have it enabled (it was not on by default) I see a visual indicator (red border on speed limit sign) when I go over the limit. It is a nice feature. Not sure what the big deal is.

The backdoor to slow the car on the other hand, that is scary.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is old news and talked about by the EU bureaucrats for several years now.

Our Taycans already have several of these features as standard all of which can be switched off.

Speed limit regulated cruise control - 95% unreliable leading to unexpected automatic braking of the car due to incorrect mapping data and road signage. I used it once and never again for these reasons.

Camera recognition of speed limit with indication on the dash which animates when limit is exceeded but does not have any autonomous feature and so passive in nature. Useful, generally accurate, dependent on correct road signage e.g when traversing controlled speed restrictions due to roadworks - if the end of restrictions signage is missing then the regular speed limit won't be detected and the warning won't clear when it should.

I don't think this is the beginning of the end just yet.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
EU is clearly moving into the direction of very strong government control like in China.
USA is not that much better. They just are better in hiding it. (IRS, NSA,....)

Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
EU is clearly moving into the direction of very strong government control like in China.
USA is not that much better. They just are better in hiding it. (IRS, NSA,....)
I thought it was a US thing...
Then I saw the letters EU...
I'm so glad I live near the German Autobahn...
Go while you still can...🥳
Sponsored