daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Toby Pennycuff thanks for the update - given cost and the fact that there is nothing special about a porsche charger - I’d have to say any of the standard J-1772 chargers are probably a good choice for a 2nd EV charger.
Sponsored

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Toby, I feel for you, but good thing is the two small screws are not needed for the charger to function. I only found my two small retaining screws in the bag after reading your post. There are none in the back of my charger and it works fine. Since my charger is fitted to the wall it will not loosen the connectors either. Guess that is just for securely locking the cables in place when you take the charger on a road trip.

Thanks for highlighting the missing screws for me though!
Yeah, call me anal I guess.

You are correct that these two retaining screws are not required for the charger to function properly. But, in my case, since I'm dealing with a 50-amp circuit, I would rather be certain that both cables are secure and cannot "partially" separate from the charger while under load.

More than anything, I wanted those who contemplate acquiring a second Mobile Charger Connect to be forewarned..... you have to order ALL FIVE components to get a functioning charger - Mobile Charger Connect, the power whip, the car charging cable and the two retaining screws.

Toby

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Toby Pennycuff thanks for the update - given cost and the fact that there is nothing special about a porsche charger - I’d have to say any of the standard J-1772 chargers are probably a good choice for a 2nd EV charger.
Dave,

You know me..... I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff!! Between my 911S, my 930, my Cup and my Targa, I've had too many experiences with non-Porsche parts (and some factory parts too!) that were less than satisfactory.

TBP

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
LOL - I know - but there are plenty of super high quality J-1772 EV chargers that are 1/3rd the cost of the Porsche offering - clipper creek makes bullet proof stuff for example.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Yeah, call me anal I guess.

You are correct that these two retaining screws are not required for the charger to function properly. But, in my case, since I'm dealing with a 50-amp circuit, I would rather be certain that both cables are secure and cannot "partially" separate from the charger while under load.

More than anything, I wanted those who contemplate acquiring a second Mobile Charger Connect to be forewarned..... you have to order ALL FIVE components to get a functioning charger - Mobile Charger Connect, the power whip, the car charging cable and the two retaining screws.

Toby
Your 100% right to need the screws. Building vibrate and stuff can come loose. I know this from an electrical fire in my office, new build. Few weeks after we moved in and the lights flickered, went to the electrical cupboard and found a melted distribution board that was parenting to be a bbq! Not clever at all.

Litigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Love this thread and the time that went into it.

Forgive my naïveté, but what level charger would allow you to use the 350
Kw charging stations out there on the road. I’d like to leave the connect charger at home and have a smaller less cumbersome charger in my car. What are the charging requirements for the rapid Electrify America charging stations?

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Once you have yout Taycan, you will need to go through all of the hoops of creating your MyPorsche account and linking it to the car. With that done, you STILL need to download the ChargingAmerica app to your phone. You will need to connect the ChargingAmerica app to your MyPorsche account. The "free" ElectrifyAmerica setup is automatically provisioned to your MyPorsche/Porsche Connect account, so all you really need to do at that point is:

1. Drive to your local EA location that has a 350Kw charger
2. Raise the car's suspension as you approach the charging station
3. Park the car and go grab the charging cable from the 350Kw charging pedestal
4. Open the charging port on the PASSENGER side of your Taycan and plug the charging cable (it's a CCS charging connection that uses the DC ports for fast charging).
5. Open your ChargingAmerica app and make sure you identify/select the correct location in the app.
6. SLIDE the ChargingAmerica app window UP from the bottom to reveal the chargers that are present - THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP IN THE PROCESS!
7. Use the ChargingAmerica app to tell the EA charger to start charging the car.
8. I strongly recommend that you set the 30-minute limit on charging as that is the max per session from an EA charger that is "free". Any connection time beyond 30 minutes will be charged to you.

You can go sit in your car while the charger is replenishing the battery. Note that the charge rate will slow down as the battery reaches 80+% charging state. Also, if you have not revisouly gotten the battery up to something like 85 degrees through some spirited driving, you will not see really high charging rates. I recall Don (@louv) achieving a best charging rate of about 290Kw during his Round-The-Country roadtrip.

Enjoy your Taycan!

Toby

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Litigator no additional equipment is needed "in the car" to charge on the road at a fast charger (Electrify America, Chargepoint, EVGO, Blink, etc) - you pull up - plug in and the car starts charging.

the same is true for any business that has a dedicated EV charger (J-1772) - you pull up - plug in - and walk away and the car charges…many hotels have 30 amp EV chargers for their customers - again you do not need to bring any equipment with you to us these chargers…

this "kit" is for when you pull up and there is _NO_ dedicated/installed EV charger, but instead you find yourself staring at any variety of bare 120v/240v electrical socket - unless you have a mobile EVSE (like the Porsche one that came with your Taycan) in the car and with you, you can not charge your Taycan - the Porsche charger (EVSE) that comes with the car (or any EVSE purchased separately as outlined in this thread) is what allows you to plug into a "bare" electrical socket and then charge an EV like the Taycan - extending that kit as outlined in this thread increases the number bare electrical sockets that will work to charge your car…

if you do not purchase any additional equipment the Porsche charger that comes with your car would work at a bare NEMA 14-50 plug (RV hookup) but you would not be able to charge at your Aunt Betty's house using her electrical dryer plug in the garage NEMA 14-30…and you could not "trickle" charge overnight at a normal household outlet plug you spy near the lobby outside at the hotel you're staying at over night UPDATE: the PMCC comes with a NEMA 5-15 supply cable, so when you take delivery of your North American Taycan you receive what ever 50/30 amp adapter you specified with your order + a NEMA 5-15 supply cable for charging from a normal household outlet. (I've done it over night on a normal outlet is good for 10-15% charge which is better than nothing).

somewhere between sanity & completely nuts lies the proper "mix" of plug-types you want for your personal EV road warrior kit…the kit outline here is firmly toward the "nuts" end of the spectrum and after 5-7 years many of the plugs remain un-used to this day (never encountered them in the wild).

the purpose of the kit is to allow one to use virtually any bare electrical outlet you might encounter in the wild, and increases the number of places/locations where you can recharge your EV (Taycan). If you are only traveling to locations that are well covered by fast chargers and public L2 chargers then this kit is un-necessary and will sit un-used in your frunk…as the public chargers provide their own cable and power and simply plug-in…

but if you're at a marina visiting your friend's boat (or your boat) and you happen to spy a plug that looks like this…

Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” 100030_2000x2000

you can not use it to charge your EV unless you have a few things with you…
  1. mobile EVSE (like the Porsche one or others)
  2. a NEMA S20-50 adapter
  3. NEMA 14-50P supply cable from Porsche that came with you charger/car.
if you have these items you can charge your Taycan from this plug - if you do not have these items with you then all you can do is stare at the plug and wonder why you didn't listen to the internet and buy the items in the kit :CWL:

and this is a good plug- as good as it gets -it's a 240 volt 50 amp circuit, which will allow your Taycan to charge at it's full North American rate of 9.6 kiloWatts…a day on the water while you Taycan is charging at one of these plugs and you'll come back to a full battery.

now electricity is electricity - there is no actual electrical difference among all the plugs shapes and sizes (other than amount of current you can draw - amps) - your EVSE/charger/Taycan can charge at _ANY_ of them _IF_ you can get the EVSE plugged into the outlet - once you are plugged in it's all just electricity and the EVSE will deliver power to the car…the trick is having the right plug.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
now that I own a Taycan (love it) - I reconfirming my strong recommendation that the BEST mobile charger for the Taycan Road warrior is a Gen2 Tesla Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) w/JDapter.

The included Porsche charger is very high quality, excellent but ohhhh so heavy, bulky and just simply big - it also has fewer options for North America plug adapters (4 vs. Tesla's 8)…

The Tesla charger works fine with my Taycan, and the Taycan appears to take virtually any amount of power the EVSE throws at it…which is good…

The Tesla UMC Gen2 is light, small, rugged, easy to deal with and can be purchased for less than $300 -it has a maximum charge rate of 32 amps - which for road tripping should be fine and can be configured with the following plug adatpers
  • NEMA 5-15 - Porsche
  • NEMA 5-20
  • NEMA 6-15
  • NEMA 6-20
  • NEMA 10-30
  • NEMA 14-30
  • NEMA 14-50 - Porsche
  • NEMA 6-50 - Porsche
* - Porsche offers a rare NEMA 6-30 adapter - but you can buy a NEMA 6-30 to 10-30 adapter from amazon if you really need this plug type w/Tesla UMC

there is NOTHING wrong with the Porsche charger, other than it's size/weight and general unwieldy ness - it's a very very high quality product, but not what I would consider truly mobile/easy for the serious road warrior…

The Tesla UMC + all adapters + JDapter/TeslaTap is less than $700 - or about 1/2 the cost of the Porsche charger without getting the Porsche adapters…

if you want small, light, rugged, and very very flexible adapters the Tesla UMC is perhaps the best mobile EVSE on the market given all the trade offs…

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given the new insight from this thread https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...020-taycan-has-11-kw-l2-charger-48-amps.1793/

one might want to consider purchasing the 80 amp version of the JDAper for their Taycan vs. the 40 amp version - if you plug into a 48 amp L2 Tesla Charger - you will apparently get 48 amps of power (vs. Porsche's documented 40 amp limit) - which means if you only own the 40 amp version of the JDapter you're now pulling 48 amps of power with an adapter only rated for 40 amps…

now is this really a problem, I highly doubt it - but also it is now above specification and the adapter might get warmer to the touch or the internal wires might run little hotter than they are supposed to...

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've revised the original posting - I'm now recommending the 80 amp JDApter for Taycan owners…the Taycan can clearly charge at more than 40 amps - so best practice would be to use the 80 amp adapter.

I don't know if Tesla Tap makes an 80 amp version - so I believe we're now stuck with JDApter if you want to follow best practices. TeslaTap makes a 80 amp version - so either will be good.

Last edited:

bushmg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition,
Country flag
I've revised the original posting - I'm now recommending the 80 amp JDApter for Taycan owners…the Taycan can clearly charge at more than 40 amps - so best practice would be to use the 80 amp adapter.

I don't know if Tesla Tap makes an 80 amp version - so I believe we're now stuck with JDApter if you want to follow best practices.
Yes, Tesla Tap does make an 80 amp adapter. I just purchased one.

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=100

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TeslaTap's product range…recommend the 80 amp version for Taycan - since that is well with in specification for 48 amp charge rate.

Porsche Taycan EV Roadwarrior adapters “kit” screen_shot_2020_07_20_at_4_15_46_pm_782446b604b8035ab09e98717dcb64a7fc746283

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Drat!!! I have the 40-amp version. Anybody want to buy mine so I can "trade-up" to the 80-amp model?

Toby

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
LOL - I know - but there are plenty of super high quality J-1772 EV chargers that are 1/3rd the cost of the Porsche offering - clipper creek makes bullet proof stuff for example.

Dave,
Another +1 on the kudos to you for helping EV newbies like me. My Porsche tech, also a former Tesla tech and a friend, seems down on the Tesla solutions you propose and suggests Clipper Creek is the way to go for a second mobile charger. However, I am unable to find the product that compares to the Tesla gen 2 charging cable. The HCS 50, CC engineers tell me, cannot run on 120V.

Thart leaves the 32amp Amazing Efast 32 amp cord. My question is whether they make an adaptor cord that can swap out the 14-50 connector plug or can I add an adaptor or something to allow that. It seems that the both the Porsche and the Tesla solutions are smart in that they allow for lesser current to flow without issues. Is Clipper Creek in that same ballpark. Please excuse and correct my misconceptions.
Sponsored